Player Housing

TheWolf.1602

There seems to be a decent amount of people on this forum who wants player housing to be added to the game, but why?what do you guys expect from player housing?How would it be different from a Guild Hall or a Home instance?What kind of features do you want from Player Housing that aren't already in the game?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, the only benefit I derive from player housing in any game is the ability to build it and decorate it, and I am not sure how that would be implemented in an MMO.

I think the best way to deal with player housing in THIS game is to have one of the buildings in your home instance be able to be entered, and have two things in it; access to your bank tab, AND - access to a player safe/locker/steamer trunk whatever that acts as an extra bank tab.

I think this game is old enough and enough players have enough things to store that it would be a great quality of life change to have a collection that adds this extra storage space to a house in your home instance. Finishing the collection unlocks a big locker in your house with a guild bank sized bay in it. You can finish additional collections or use gems to purchase additional home bank bays. People wouldn't have to make personal guilds any more and bog down a guild slot just to have a place to store things.

Housing would give players the ability to change their house more. The home instance or guild hall are nothing compared to proper housing.It would add more goals for people to chase meaning more replayability to the game and people just enjoy housing.There could be utility options for housing like merchants, bank, crafting stations & such.

If anet would ever implement proper housing (which i highly doubt they will but we can at least hope) they better don't put all the furniture & items on the gem store (like the gardening crap) & be crafteable in game or even have some things drop from raids, fractals, dungeons, world bosses or even pvp or wvw.I think an added bonus could be a rested buff which you aqcuire by being in, or logging out in your house that gives you a small increase in exp , karma & magic find or other small bonuses.

It all depends on how they decide to implement it.

@TheWolf.1602 said:@"glenndevis.8327" All those things you've mentioned are already available in the Guild Hall, do you think Player Housing should be a smaller (and possibly cheaper) Guild Hall?

Have you seen or played any mmo with proper housing?Housing (in most mmo's that have housing) is a lot more in depth when it comes to customizing your house than the home instance/guild halls are. I think guild halls were a step in the right direction though when it comes to decoration that drops as in game rewards. But Anet has a long way to go to make it proper "guild housing"

And yeah, would be nice to have your personal house for those without guild's or guilds without guild halls. Or just having your own personal space you can customize the way you want. (in depth.)

I'd rather not have housing be in the home instance as well. Maybe certain house structures in cities could serve as instanced houses (like Black Desert's housing system works.) But I think that would be too much for Anet to handle at this point in time.

Also, proper housing would be great for RP purposes (granted that you can invite other people in your house.)

And if Anet decides to do housing, don't put all the housing items in the gem store please.

@Mea.5491 said:Housing is a huge success in ESO, so I hope we'll get it in the future. Also, it's completely optional so people who don't like it can just ignore it. I absolutely LOVE housing and it's the only thing I wish GW2 had, tbh...

Keep in mind that a housing system with any kind of depth may be expensive to develop. Developers hours spent on housing are not spent on something else, so it does impact those that are not interested.

Then, once released, housing will need to recoup development costs. This means a monetization system that people will complain about either due to price (even free is not cheap enough for some people), RNG, or some other sense of entitlement related complaint.

since GH's takes a big enough guild or enough ppl to help (not to mention 150 guild tokens and enough gold) and the home instance is just a dead instance, i would love a personal house for my characters.SWToR has a nice system, you have a basic house and you can decorate it exactly the way you want.

Housing is about personal tastes, creativity and choices. Guild halls are for guilds, hence not "personal", but collective. There are many, huge differences on scope, content and limits. Guild Halls offer the decorator mechanic, its true, but it merges it with group activity and effort, so you cant make anything personal there. And personal Guilds are not supported by the game or Anet policies (Correctly, IMO).So there IS space for player (personal) housing features, be it in the same Home Instance or in another place.

Housing is rubbish. I've been there in FF14 and I never understood the point of that. I've seen people that spend more time in their virtual buildings than their actual homes - that severely needed to be cleaned.

I mean, I had two rooms in my FF14 FCs, and the houses had everything: Anvils, stuff to craft, musical instruments, beds and even a Jacuzzi.But then, what was the fun of an empty house because people either AFKd, were offline or actually killing stuff.

The home instance and guild halls did it very well and gave it the unique GW2 touch, instead of theresahousenowdostuffwithit like the other developers do.Excelsior.

@TheWolf.1602 said:@"glenndevis.8327" the only other mmo I've ever played was years ago: Runescape. I don't see why guilds would not get a Guild Hall, I've got a Guild Hall for my solo guild, just had to pay a few randoms to claim it. Maybe you could expand on what you consider proper housing?

Yeah I don't see it either but I guess some people can't be bothered with guild halls. xD

And when i comes to housing, I think open world housing would be great but in a game like GW2 that's never going to happen.Like I said before i'd like it if it woun't be in the home instance to give every player a "choice" of where they want their house to be. Like certain buildings in cities could be used as a housing instance. (1 house instance being able to be used for multiple players but the game creates a diffirent instance of the same place for every player who has their house there, kinda like how guild halls work.)

As for the inside Id like more diffirent types of decorations, wallpaper, floors, furniture aestethic wise (like asuran or norn). Objects you can interact with. Maybe some crafting stations, merchants, a bank, placing walls and just create a personal place to your liking. Something you can't really do with the guild hall.

To finish it off I feel like the housing needs to have some sort of utility or quality of life tied to it so it doesn't become "just a decoration" that people never used like guild halls used to be in the past. But at the same time it shouldn't be too disadvantageous for those who don't have/can't afford/don't want to bother with it so they don't get left behind. Like I said before, a rested bonus when you afk or log out when in your house that gives a small bonus to exp or karma gains and such.

I'm for it! Here are two arguments...

First Argument:If MMOs are, in part, a role playing experience (and not just murder-hobo/killing spree/grind fest), then it ought to promote opportunities for role play.Housing provides an opportunity for role playing (it contributes to a sense of belonging in and to the world.).So, housing should be considered as a feature.

Second Argument:If a sense of community among the player base is important for MMOs, then it ought to promote activities that allow for the community to develop.Housing provides activities that allow for the community to develop. It can be used to promote content that is not visited often, or to motivate players to participate in areas of the game that they don't usually participate in.So, housing should be considered as a feature.BTW, the argument that Player Housing doesn't contribute to the MMO sense of community fails here.

Counterargument against the notion that player housing is content that no one but the player will see.Players LOVE to show off their houses — on forums, on YouTube, in blogs.

Some secondary benefits,1) For a studio, housing is free publicity for the game given that feature will be showcased on forums, YouTube, etc., etc.2) "Housing is a bridge between players and developers, both of whom become co-creators and teammates. Players aren’t just consuming what developers make, but creating something to share back in return. It fosters goodwill and excitement between the sides and makes communication something other than players complaining about the most recent patch."

Archived