Thief skill queue

jbsitka.5407

If you don't want to use the ability twice, don't press the button twice. I know coming from other professions you may feel the need to spam the heck out of everything, thief teaches you to work with patience and timing.

To expand on this, sometimes you may very much wish to use an attack twice in a row, such as two shortbow 5 shadowsteps, or two quick heartseekers to finish off an opponent. So I would strong recommend against giving yourself an artificial ICD for the abilities so that you're not taking away valuable thief tools.

It's unfortunately not that easy, because the game does that often, too.When I fire a rifle bullet, and then decide to fire a Death Judgment, the target dies. Still, I fire yet another auto attack shot in the corpse, because the game stacks the auto attacks up too much. It does not override the upcoming auto attack, but being "squeezed inbetween" the skill queue instead. It really sets me up when the "headshot" was succesfull and then another shot is being executed as if my DEADEYE (!) is some newbie at the training shooting gallery that causes occassional accidental weapon discharges...

The skill queue is not working as extended often and, indeed, should only have two slots: The current skill and ONE upcoming skill. Not three or more like right now.

Excelsior.

@"Boulder.3589" said:Sometimes you want to heartseeker twice, sometimes not. Just gotta learn to press once when you want to HS once. You can also disable auto cast on your wapon skill 1 if you want finer control over that.

I think the bigger point here is that being able to multihit a button during an animation to make sure the ability goes off the second its available, and once that animation is "playing" if we stop hitting the button the ability should not queue up for the next cast.

If we stop pressing the button during the animation, no ability should go off next. The queue system is.... not good, at the very least give us the option of turning it off.

It also happens a lot with pistols and Unload, which is really annoying because it costs initiative and since no bullet hits (target long dead) you get no refund. Sometimes it certainly is lag, then I stop shooting and wait until the game executed all commands. This can lead to 2 more Unloads without target unless I interrupt it with a steal or dodge.

• 2 weeks later...

A thing that should be removed asap, i usually have around 50-80 ping and when im in a tough situations and stunned i ofc spam my flaking strike to make an evade then it casts it 3 times and drains my ini pool, i dont even know why is there a skill queu all of our skills are based on situations.....and funny thing its bugy as hell just try 4-2-3 with d/p its gonna be 2 headshots

I always double tap FS so I can land LS right after Steal. Being out of range or on bad terrain has made me perform the swivels of shame more than once.

Suppose I should just stop doing that, but it's a tough habit to break and much easier than waiting for LS to proc.

While double tapping is obviously a user error, the GW2 engine also seems to have issues with interpreting input from certain switch types. For example the Razer Naga that I used to use would cause double skill activation almost every time, which was such a problem that it actually made thief literally unplayable for me.

I too believe the queue should be removed or at least put behind an option. Just do the skill I pressed at that particular moment.

While that will unlikely happen, there is a workaround. It works by binding "stow weapons" to a hotkey and learning to use that to clear your skill queue. If you spammed, for example, heartseeker in rapid succession and then press stow mid animation your character will just stop everything.

@"Crinn.7864" said:While double tapping is obviously a user error, the GW2 engine also seems to have issues with interpreting input from certain switch types. For example the Razer Naga that I used to use would cause double skill activation almost every time, which was such a problem that it actually made thief literally unplayable for me.

Do you know if it was ever fixed the issues you were having? I was thinking about getting some of their Keyboards.

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:

@"Crinn.7864" said:While double tapping is obviously a user error, the GW2 engine also seems to have issues with interpreting input from certain
For example the Razer Naga that I used to use would cause double skill activation almost every time, which was such a problem that it actually made thief literally unplayable for me.

Do you know if it was ever fixed the issues you were having? I was thinking about getting some of their Keyboards.

I use Logitech now, the razor mouse broke after barely a year of use

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:While double tapping is obviously a user error, the GW2 engine also seems to have issues with interpreting input from certain
For example the Razer Naga that I used to use would cause double skill activation almost every time, which was such a problem that it actually made thief literally unplayable for me.

Oh, you are talking about the mouse. My Razor Naga chroma broke in a year too, so they sent me a replacement under warranty.

@"saloja.7920" said:I too believe the queue should be removed or at least put behind an option. Just do the skill I pressed at that particular moment.

While that will unlikely happen, there is a workaround. It works by binding "stow weapons" to a hotkey and learning to use that to clear your skill queue. If you spammed, for example, heartseeker in rapid succession and then press stow mid animation your character will just stop everything.

Stow weapons is a must use thing if you're not using it already. Stops the animation completely and clears the queue.

@JonnyForgotten.4276 said:

@"saloja.7920" said:I too believe the queue should be removed or at least put behind an option. Just do the skill I pressed at that particular moment.

Stow weapons is a must use thing if you're not using it already. Stops the animation completely and clears the queue.

When I was still just a little Thief cub this one confused me, since it generally doesn't stow on a single press of the stow weapon button. I realized I have to press it multiple times until the skill animation/cast time stops and the stowing animation starts.

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:While double tapping is obviously a user error, the GW2 engine also seems to have issues with interpreting input from certain

Oh, you are talking about the mouse. My Razor Naga chroma broke in a year too, so they sent me a replacement under warranty.

My wife went through three razers in 3 years and I had two of them and both are broken. I like the design and features, but they suck. They look old and used after a few weeks already because they use some stupid soft finish that cannot be cleaned properly. They are very sensible to water spills, much more than hardware from other companies. I now use a Roccat Nyth and besides having great features, it looks like new after a few months already.

@Warkind.6745 said:I always double tap FS so I can land LS right after Steal. Being out of range or on bad terrain has made me perform the swivels of shame more than once.

Suppose I should just stop doing that, but it's a tough habit to break and much easier than waiting for LS to proc.

I truly recommend not chaining LS right after FS, almost anyone semi-competent will see that coming and it's, in my opinion, generally better to wait with skills as strong as LS for some sort of opening, usually after they dodge for no reason.Not trying to lecture anyone, just offering point of view =D

@Aplier.7829 said:If you don't want to use the ability twice, don't press the button twice. I know coming from other professions you may feel the need to spam the heck out of everything, thief teaches you to work with patience and timing.

To expand on this, sometimes you may very much wish to use an attack twice in a row, such as two shortbow 5 shadowsteps, or two quick heartseekers to finish off an opponent. So I would strong recommend against giving yourself an artificial ICD for the abilities so that you're not taking away valuable thief tools.

Actually this is not an icd issue, it's just that the ability register queue time is a bit longer than some people like it. There are games that let you choose how long you want that time to be, also there professions that favor longer ability queue times while others favor shorter more pinpoint ones. At this point I guess they could have added some sort of setting to be able to make you combat experience how you like it to be, not that it matters too much for me at this point.

I think that movement should cancel the next skill queued IF the next skill is a forced movement skill or in-place (e.g. pistol whip, weakening charge). Sometimes you want to queue a skill, but then it's like oh shit there's a scumbag thief coming. Then you gotta do the stupid weapon stow to cancel the skill queue. Of course it has been like 8 years now and I don't think it will ever get changed, so might as well just practice not mashing.

Archived