Exposure on Inquest Exo-Suit Outfit

This is primarily an issue for female asura as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not particularly fond of the midriff window on the new outfit in general. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, the Inquest Exo-Suit has a large window of exposed skin from the sternum to the waist which is a very strange design choice in my opinion and I didn't quite notice it when I previewed it initially in the gem store. On a female asura, their port and starboard nipple arrays appear to be showing through the holographic windshield. Does this bother anyone else? Perhaps it's too late to change the look on this outfit, but it's a very strange and baffling design choice that I don't quite understand. Can anyone wager a guess on why the Inquest might have designed an exposed midriff into their exo-suit? I can't think of any functional reason for why they would, but it would help ease my mind if there was some logic behind the decision that I just haven't thought of.

EDIT (14/03): See second post for clarification:If you compare the Inquest exo-suit to other asura female outfits (not counting the Halloween one that is anatomically incorrect for females) this one is the only outlier. From what I understand about asuran anatomy, this outfit doesn't make much sense assuming that they have modesty taboos around full-frontal chest exposure. Unlike human anatomy, the parts that asura would be concerned about are not just on the upper torso but all the way down to the midriff. This is why you see asura females wearing underwear that looks like a one-piece swimsuit unlike all of the other races. Charr females wear a simpler covering for their own midriff, but even their cloth cover is low enough to cover all of their relevant anatomy. On humans, midriff is fine. On other sentient species where their midriff contains anatomy that humans don't have—parts that they might have their own moral taboos around showing—this outfit might indeed, for their cultures, contain "indecent exposure."

EDIT 2 (14/03): Here's a side-by-side comparison of female asura with undergarments vs. exo-suit:

PR80xGd.jpg

As you can see, it's a strange region to expose for a species that typically wears undergarments that cover the full front of their chests for what we can only assume are modesty taboo reasons. So is the lich outfit but that can be excused as a quirky Halloween costume. It's more strange to see it on an outfit that was designed by asura, for asura.

EDIT 3 (14/03): Taken from my post on Page 2 for further clarification:

There was an old forum post entitled 'Lore and Mechanics Interview with Eric Flannum' where Eric, the Game Director (Lead Game Designer) from 2005-2015, said this:

Q: How easy it will be to determine the gender of Asura characters? Do female Asura have breasts?Eric: Asura are mammals and female asura do have mammary glands, however they are not particularly prominent the way they are in humans or norn. For the sake of physical attraction, asura place much more importance on the ears, eyes, and shape of the head (larger head equals larger cranial capacity of course!) than anything else. As for telling the genders apart, female asura tend to have much softer and fine features than males and wear their hair differently.

On female asura, the one-piece swimsuit style of undergarments would hide all of their relevant anatomy which is simply not portrayed on character models because no one needs to see it. This is true for all racial character models which are not anatomically correct for the sake of keeping this game suitable for a PG-13 audience but lorewise, Eric says that there is more there than the game is willing to show us.

"Not prominent" does not mean nonexistent, which means that the absence of any physical indicators of where their mammary glands would be located is more of a game model limitation rather than an indication of how they should appear if all the models were anatomically correct.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is indecent, you’d do well steering clear of the wardrobe.This outfit is far from indecent imo, it’s definitely got the ‘super villain’ vibe to it, and I think the Holo-pane on the stomach goes well with it.

What precisely is indecent to you that provoked this topic? As if a small window to see your torso is indecent, I’d love to know your thoughts about a lot of light armors, and some medium/heavy skins and other outfits, which show lots of skin (have you seen a female Asura or female Charr wearing Raiment of the Lich?).

If you don’t 100% like it don’t buy it. Simple.

Is this the first time in your life you've ever seen midriff? Serious question. Its the only logical explanation I could think of for why you would act like this is such a world shattering problem that you thought it just had to be addressed immediately. Not only is it not a problem, but it doesn't even fit the definition of indecent exposure, despite your attempt to label it as such.

A lot of hostile responses for a non-provocative opinion piece. :P For those of you who are levelheaded enough to entertain a response, here's mine:

If you compare the Inquest exo-suit to other asura female outfits (not counting the Halloween one that is anatomically incorrect for females) this one is the only outlier. From what I understand about asuran anatomy, this outfit doesn't make much sense assuming that they have modesty taboos around full-frontal chest exposure. Unlike human anatomy, the parts that asura would be concerned about are not just on the upper torso but all the way down to the midriff. This is why you see asura females wearing underwear that looks like a one-piece swimsuit unlike all of the other races. Charr females wear a simpler covering for their own midriff, but even their cloth cover is low enough to cover all of their relevant anatomy. On humans, midriff is fine. On other sentient species where their midriff contains anatomy that humans don't have—parts that they might have their own moral taboos around showing—this outfit might indeed, for their cultures, contain "indecent exposure."

@"Athrenn.9468" said:A lot of hostile responses for a non-provocative opinion piece. :P For those of you who are levelheaded enough to entertain a response, here's mine:

If you compare the Inquest exo-suit to other asura female outfits (not counting the Halloween one that is anatomically incorrect for females) this one is the only outlier. From what I understand about asuran anatomy, this outfit doesn't make much sense assuming that they have modesty taboos around full-frontal chest exposure. Unlike human anatomy, the parts that asura would be concerned about are not just on the upper torso but all the way down to the midriff. This is why you see asura females wearing underwear that looks like a one-piece swimsuit unlike all of the other races. Charr females wear a simpler covering for their own midriff, but even their cloth cover is low enough to cover all of their relevant anatomy. On humans, midriff is fine. On other sentient species where their midriff contains anatomy that humans don't have—parts that they might have their own moral taboos around showing—this outfit might indeed, for their cultures, contain "indecent exposure."

Good point. But the Inquest is not exactly known for playing by rules and conventions, are they? :pSeriously, I too think it is a design flaw from a practical perspective: Leaving an opening (of some sort) in my armor on a vital spot is not the smartest move.But as others have stated, I don't have to purchase it (and sure as hell never will).

@"Athrenn.9468" said:This is primarily an issue for female asura as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not particularly fond of the midriff window on the new outfit in general. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, the Inquest Exo-Suit has a large window of exposed skin from the sternum to the waist which is a very strange design choice in my opinion and I didn't quite notice it when I previewed it initially in the gem store. On a female asura, their port and starboard kitten arrays appear to be showing through the holographic windshield. Does this bother anyone else? Perhaps it's too late to change the look on this outfit, but it's a very strange and baffling design choice that I don't quite understand. Can anyone wager a guess on why the Inquest might have designed an exposed midriff into their exo-suit? I can't think of any functional reason for why they would, but it would help ease my mind if there was some logic behind the decision that I just haven't thought of.

The logic is very simple, and it's called "aesthetic". Functional arguments in a fantasy MMO? Please... We're calling down meteors from the sky and lightning under water. We're shooting without ever running out of ammo, sometimes with the rate of a machine gun from a freaking bow. If you start to nitpick you just need to quit the game, any fantasy RPG for that matter, because they're all full of "immersion-breaking" inconsistencies like this. But the truth is, they don't matter. What matters, when it comes to game mechanics is "is it fun". And what matters, when it comes to character appearance is "do you find it cool". Indecent... what are you, 80-years old?

Lol why is this a problem now?

We have had buttcracks, sideboobs, and boobwindows since release, not to mention whats basicly skirt bikinis and panties aplenty. And we got nippleclamps. Asura females also go completely shirtless with several outfits (but no boobs, heh)

Since you asked, here's a side-by-side comparison of female asura with undergarments vs. exo-suit:

PR80xGd.jpg

As you can see, it's a strange region to expose for a species that typically wears undergarments that cover the full front of their chests for what we can only assume are modesty taboo reasons. So is the lich outfit but that can be excused as a quirky Halloween costume. It's more strange to see it on an outfit that was designed by asura, for asura.

@Plautze.6290 said:Urgh, I can't get over how malformed Asuras look :sAnd you haven't even shown their feet!

I was saving you from the nightmare. :tongue:I don't actually mind the bodily proportions though. Asura are basically Tyria's goblins/gnomes, the diminutive quirky tinkerers who used to live underground. They definitely fit the same niche while looking more refined.

@Athrenn.9468 said:assuming that they have modesty taboos around full-frontal chest exposure.

I was with you until you decided to assume the basis for your argument. The costume also doesn't show full front chest exposure. In order to make the argument for this costume being indecent, you'd have to provide lore proof that an exposed belly is considered indecent instead of just assuming it is.

Archived