What one thing would you change in wvw?

Rashagar.8349

Or another way of thinking of the question, what one effect would you like to see if WvW had GW1's monthly flux effects as a feature?

For me, I'd love to see what would happen if you completely remove (/heavily disincentivise/make extremely difficult) the ability for players to stack on a commander/on each other in wvw. How they'd accomplish this I don't really mind so much. Hide commander tags on the main screen and only have the commander tag's position update every 30 seconds on the mini map, remove squads/parties entirely, turn the commander tag into an area placement skill similar to ventari's tablet, mess around with skill target limits, it doesn't really matter to me.

The reason I'd like to experience this is simple; I prefer large scale disorganised combat to organised. The moments of heroics feel more heroic, everything is more spontaneous and adaptability is key. It's like watching a more violent brownian motion.

Anyway, what would your change be, and why? It doesn't have to be for a lofty goal, it doesn't have to be a permanent change. I know it's been asked before but new discussion isn't necessarily a bad thing (and if it's been discussed very recently then my apologies, I didn't notice). I'm just curious.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can honestly say that "disorganised combat" already naturally occurs. Depending on how your server does during the weekend, you can see the snowball effect during the week. Often times it is also hard for commanders to get people to stick to them amongst other things. I think perhaps it needs to be the other way around (I am speaking from a perspective of playing both NA/EU in low and high tier - it happens on both ends when players are inexperienced or demotivated in matchups). In those times clouding seems to be the natural progression when no comms are around or people just moping in towers waiting for a miracle to happen, that's pretty much all the disorganisation you're gonna get lol. Maybe there are other ways to encourage activity or make it fun (since we can't do anything for balance atm).

I'd like 1 week with no siege or tower gates.

Split the zergs up, could be little defense squads and attack squads of 5-10 people everywhere.... The harder a server zergs, the easier it becomes for them to lose all their stuff to roamers.

Currently you try and take a tower with 3-4 people and you gotta make 3 supply runs, hope no one spots you because theres a tonne of siege already built in the tower and be patient as you attempt to knock down fortified doors before the 50 man squad rolls over you.

The most annoying things are this:

• being separated (by death) from your squad team and have to run the whole way from spawn point to your squad across the map. - So if the squad is at an own held map-part, the personal way-points should work. - or -
  • waiting line for map entering is loooooong - then promote players in the waiting line who are already part of a squad with a commander on the target map.

Make it impossible to upgrade Stonemist Castle!

One simple change, but would make EB a billion times better! Many more fights. Much more action. No more siege hugging. No more frustrated commanders. No more the whole map gets taken hostage by the big castle that kills everything...

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

@Musty.3148 said:Change the Alpine borders to something more interesting.

Only if the mastermind behind the alpine borderlands makes it. That map is so damned good.

Well after the bad taste in your mouth that the original desert bl gave, it didn't have much competition.

Actually I personally LOVE Desert, but I'm a roamer solo/duo. So the added speed Air and Fire sentrys are nice. i also like that it's not so open so when I'm set on by a 30 man zerg I can use LOS much easier. Guess it comes down to the playstyle you like. :)

@bigFM.8642 said:Make it impossible to upgrade Stonemist Castle!

One simple change, but would make EB a billion times better! Many more fights. Much more action. No more siege hugging. No more frustrated commanders. No more the whole map gets taken hostage by the big castle that kills everything...

This is an incredible suggestion. I'd actually go into EBG if this were implemented.

@Turk.5460 said:

@bigFM.8642 said:Make it impossible to upgrade Stonemist Castle!

This is an incredible suggestion. I'd actually go into EBG if this were implemented.

It is a good suggestion; it could also be alleviated if they reverted back to the old ways of upgrading. If that happened I highly doubt many players would even attempt or bother to upgrade SM. Costs too much, and many are aware a paper SM means more fights. It's one of the cooler places to have battles in anyway, but not under heavy siege fire or an hour trying to break down a wall or gate.

@Musty.3148 said:

@Musty.3148 said:Change the Alpine borders to something more interesting.

Only if the mastermind behind the alpine borderlands makes it. That map is so damned good.

Well after the bad taste in your mouth that the original desert bl gave, it didn't have much competition.

Actually I personally LOVE Desert, but I'm a roamer solo/duo. So the added speed Air and Fire sentrys are nice. i also like that it's not so open so when I'm set on by a 30 man zerg I can use LOS much easier. Guess it comes down to the playstyle you like. :)

Oh I like it now too, but when it first started and they had the walls you had to kill to go anywhere, which you could get stuck on the wrong side.

Archived