Please Nerf the Chef!!! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Please Nerf the Chef!!!

First let me say Path of Fire is a real quality art piece, the difficulty is in a nice sweet spot, the story has really hit it's stride.

How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned. There are times when I've thrown ingredients at him dead on and they haven't been acknowledged. If you screw up once you'll fail. Hell over the course of 2 hours there have been a few times I have been perfect but still have the timer beat me any way because I kept on being told to get ingredients that were far away from the Chef. Please nerf this chef so that I don't need a carpal brace to recover thank you.

“The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

<13

Comments

• yeah this took about 3 tries, it's not that difficult. just learn where the foods are and only throw when he stops.

• Ye it's buggy, some throws dont register. But i retried late at night when no other players in there and lags disappeared, it was much smoother and after few tries i somehow did it.

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

It did take me aswell 3 tries to know where everything was and you need to wait until he stops at his known locations.
    Sure its challening but really fun! :D

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• Assic.2746Assic.2746 Member ✭✭✭

Whoa... this must be a joke. People complain already instead of learning where the certain ingredients are.

Tip: Avoid throwing food through the obstacles (tables etc) or the throw will most likely fail. It's not a bug. It's designed this way.

• Drew.1865Drew.1865 Member ✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned.

You are joking, right? :s

I don't want to sound mean, but I am really asking myself, if you can't master such a simple task movement-wise, how do you ever survive difficult fights?

People are good at different challenges. I find myself rezzing a lot of elite players all the time but I wouldn't say I'm better at the game than they are.

• Throw at where he stands, not at him. Throwing over him won't count.

• For the sake of argument, even if the Dictator of Soup mastery is overtuned, why does it need to be nerfed? There are at least 80 mastery points for PoF and you only need about 50 for the primary masteries (probably about 70 including the hidden mastery).

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned.

You are joking, right? :s

I don't want to sound mean, but I am really asking myself, if you can't master such a simple task movement-wise, how do you ever survive difficult fights?

I die repeatedly and hammer at the encounter until I beat it, sometimes with all my armor broken.

@Galmac.4680 said:
    Just learn the places for the items and try. Got it after 5-7 attempts

Must be nice, I know where everything is how ever I can not move like that with out triggering a ton of nerve pain in my wrist and carpals.

• If you turn on "Show all usable items", it'll show all the ingredients for easy recognition. And always wait until the chef stop before throwing. Each successful throw refills your timer a little, so you do have a fair amount of leeway. I play with a ping of 200-250 and it only took me a few tries.

Also someone else has suggested turning on snap to ground target, then target the chef.

@rotheche.2964 said:
    Hints that I found useful:

• Use the speed boon, it will make a difference
    • Expect a couple of practice runs to learn where everything is
    • Turn ground targeting on so your 2 skill (the throw) snaps straight to the chef, will save you missed throws
    • No, really, use the speed boon
      I got it on my third or fourth try and I'm usually around 260ms ping.

Did all this, even have yolo mouse to see the cursor better.

• I admit I was pretty annoyed when I did the quest.
    The trick is to learn where stuff iss, and then throw it at his feet and not on him, that way you won't hit the table or other things when throwing.
    I got it after 8 attempts

@Assic.2746 said:
    Whoa... this must be a joke. People complain already instead of learning where the certain ingredients are.

Tip: Avoid throwing food through the obstacles (tables etc) or the throw will most likely fail. It's not a bug. It's designed this way.

I know where the ingredients are now, that isn't the problem; I am physically incapable of making constant sharp turns with my mouse with out triggering wrist pain and numbness in my fingers.

I mean I love how people are mocking me, I mean I've seen guild raid groups move on from tanking boss attempts after significantly less time than I invested, it's quite simple if I spend 2 hours trying to get at something then it's too over tuned for the open world.

• @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Assic.2746 said:

I know where the ingredients are now, that isn't the problem; I am physically incapable of making constant sharp turns with my mouse with out triggering wrist pain and numbness in my fingers.

then skip it, they give more masteries than you need, and it does not count toward map completion

• Zaron.1987Zaron.1987 Member ✭✭✭

Pls Dont nerf its fine and such a nice gw nostalgia flashback to old missions.

Props at devs for that

it's quite simple if I spend 2 hours trying to get at something then it's too over tuned for the open world.

Or you should change how you're doing it. Or skip it entirely. How long it takes you or I is irrelevant to the question of whether it's overtuned.

I'm also sorry it physically pains you to make sharp turns with the mouse you currently use. Annoying as that might be, it's also not critical to determining whether the event is overtuned. There are alternatives for moving your character, which might or might not work out better for you.

And finally, it's simply not true that you have to get it right every time. In my least successful attempt, I didn't miss once, but I was too slow to find the ingredient. In my successful attempt, I missed at least twice (might have missed 3 times); I was able to recover because I was quick on the subsequent occasions.

tl;dr one person's individual experience isn't useful for evaluating whether something it tuned too high, too low, or just right. It might be a question of changing how you approach it. Or you might just want to skip it, as there are lots of extra masteries around.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

edited September 24, 2017

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    it's quite simple if I spend 2 hours trying to get at something then it's too over tuned for the open world.

Or you should change how you're doing it. Or skip it entirely. How long it takes you or I is irrelevant to the question of whether it's overtuned.

I'm also sorry it physically pains you to make sharp turns with the mouse you currently use. Annoying as that might be, it's also not critical to determining whether the event is overtuned. There are alternatives for moving your character, which might or might not work out better for you.

And finally, it's simply not true that you have to get it right every time. In my least successful attempt, I didn't miss once, but I was too slow to find the ingredient. In my successful attempt, I missed at least twice (might have missed 3 times); I was able to recover because I was quick on the subsequent occasions.

tl;dr one person's individual experience isn't useful for evaluating whether something it tuned too high, too low, or just right. It might be a question of changing how you approach it. Or you might just want to skip it, as there are lots of extra masteries around.

You're right, honestly I think I was just angry that I spent 2 hours getting no where only to have to pop a brace on my arm with ice, I wound uo finding an MP in the Ocean to get Canyon Jumping so that I could get to the area with the springer.

I'm by no means a great GW2 player, my crowning achievement is Map Completion twice, and killing Mordremoth twice.

• Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

To be honest, if anything, they should make this repeatable. As the mastery point system is account-wide, we don't get the opportunity to do this again. And this is actually quite fun. Of course I don't see myself doing this everyday but you know.... once in a while, it can be fun to be a sous-chef :)

• It's for an MP not a vista.... Yer, it took me 4 times to get right... But it was fun and was challenging

A City of Heroes never die... A City of Villains will never surrender... Neither City will be forgotten.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

i seriously hate it, he never stands still, i already have trouble keeping track of him let alone where everything is and then there is that frikin timer that makes it just impossible to do for me.
    i am at attempt 12 and still nothing, he is really ticking me off and all the other mastery points are out of reach for a raptor.

• Wintermute.5408Wintermute.5408 Member ✭✭✭

This guy soon will end up in raid requirements. "100 lI, full legendary armor, beaten the chef".

Seriously though, his movement phases are the problem. It's very very hard to hit him on the move, especially when entire thing lags from 10 people doing it at once. Just allow us to hand him materials on contact, not only by throwing, and it'll be allright.

• Jwake.7013Jwake.7013 Member ✭✭✭

Have you tried turning up your dpi in your mouse, that may help quite a bit for you if you want a nice range of movement without much physical movement of the mouse. Takes some getting used to but is really nice for gaming. I'd say try turning it to maybe 800 and tune it from there to what you like. also action cam may help with quick swiveling and click and throws to targets. Sorry to hear you were having so much trouble with it, good luck.

"Freedom is something that you need to actively acquire. It's not something that's given with no strings attached. To be free means to take responsibility, and to prepare yourself for what's to come." ~Charles Beams~

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

Selling chef mastery point.
    100g x account.

Joke :*

Edit:my guess is that all these threads are pun intended and we all are being trolled.

• Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:
    i seriously hate it, he never stands still, i already have trouble keeping track of him let alone where everything is and then there is that frikin timer that makes it just impossible to do for me.
    i am at attempt 12 and still nothing, he is really ticking me off and all the other mastery points are out of reach for a raptor.

Take a break. Leave it for a day then come back to it another time. You're clearly quite upset with this which won't help.

• Zaltys.7649Zaltys.7649 Member ✭✭✭

This chef needs to become a recurring character. Because he's certainly memorable.

• Kinda sad that instead of taking people's advice into practice, you would just argue against them off just like that without giving a bit of consideration, seems like you're dead set that this mastery is bad and it has to be toned down because it requires effort to get it.

I guess I'll have anet tone down raids and have it viable for solo plays too. I want those legendary armor after all. hehe.

• Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭

I suck at this stuff, but managed after 10 tries or so. Here's my mini-guide:

• You must memorize where the ingredients are: you will never succeed if you do not do this to some extent.
    • You must keep an eye on the chef: only throw the ingredient at the chef when he is standing still for long enough. So do not throw it at him if he is about to leave his spot again! Missing him will almost assure a fail.
    • Use the Rabbit button (1) for covering those longer distances. Sometimes either you or the chef runs across the entire kitchen: save your rabbitspeed for those occasions.
  • To be honest, the chef really isn't that bad. Once you are familiar with where the ingredients are, and learn to predict his movements and thus know where to throw the ingredients as he stops, you'll be fine. However, if it's really that grating, you can simply skip it. If PoF is anything like HoTS with regards to masteries, then chances are you'll get more mastery points than you actually need to upgrade everything. So unless you're a completionist and feel the need to get absolutely every mastery point, you can just skip over the ones you don't enjoy.

• John.8507John.8507 Member ✭✭✭

Its a challenge but can be done, Main mistakes were my own fault, like throwing too late and he moved.

• Wintermute.5408Wintermute.5408 Member ✭✭✭

@Alchofas.8243 said:
    Kinda sad that instead of taking people's advice into practice, you would just argue against them off just like that without giving a bit of consideration, seems like you're dead set that this mastery is bad and it has to be toned down because it requires effort to get it.

I guess I'll have anet tone down raids and have it viable for solo plays too. I want those legendary armor after all. hehe.

Because it's bad? Is it some endgame activity or something? It takes disproportional amount of effort for, let's be honest, quite kitten reward. Most of advice here is in lines of "it took me 20 tries but". Yeah...

I'd rather do that shooting adventure from VB again. At least it was fun.

@Wintermute.5408 said:

@Alchofas.8243 said:
    Kinda sad that instead of taking people's advice into practice, you would just argue against them off just like that without giving a bit of consideration, seems like you're dead set that this mastery is bad and it has to be toned down because it requires effort to get it.

Because it's bad? Is it some endgame activity or something? It takes disproportional amount of effort for, let's be honest, quite kitten reward. Most of advice here is in lines of "it took me 20 tries but". Yeah...

I'd rather do that shooting adventure from VB again. At least it was fun.

Depends how lucky/unlucky you are. But completely doable.

So DONT nerf, leave it as is.

@Alchofas.8243 said:

Where the hell did you get that, did you actually read any of my replies or did you already have them filtered through your lenses of condescending (that's a rhetorical question because you would have seen I had tried all of the suggestions, except for the whole fine targeting to hit a specific point on the body because yeah like I really have time to aim properly with a timer breathing down my neck.)? Every piece of advice I had tried other than the DPI thing because I had not seen it until right this second. The only reason I can think of that I might be having an issue moving around might be because I play Norn and moving them around with any fine detail is like moving an oil rig.

• Emprer.7256Emprer.7256 Member ✭✭✭

I have the names of interactable items shown (select in option) so the food names would show up and I made it in 2 attempts. I thought the difficulty was okay. like some have said you don't need to get all mps to complete the pof masteries. Do the story and explore the maps you'll get new mounts and access to new mps very quickly.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

they could at least tone down the timer, if there is one thing that makes me ticked off regardless it's a timer. (ADHD but slow on body movement so timers only stresses me)

• Grimheart.2853Grimheart.2853 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018

I was screwing around the amnoon on release with a guildmate the other day. He said that the chef mastery is rather intense and I immedietly said people will cry for nerfs. The "casual" playerbase is so predictable one could think they're just bots.

P.S. Did it on the first try with 4-16 FPS lags.

@Alchofas.8243 said:

Where the kitten did you get that, did you actually read any of my replies or did you already have them filtered through your lenses of condescending (that's a rhetorical question because you would have seen I had tried all of the suggestions, except for the whole fine targeting to hit a specific point on the body because yeah like I really have time to aim properly with a timer breathing down my neck.)? Every piece of advice I had tried other than the DPI thing because I had not seen it until right this second. The only reason I can think of that I might be having an issue moving around might be because I play Norn and moving them around with any fine detail is like moving an oil rig.

Whoa dude, calm your kittens, aside from sharp turns are you having any other troubles, especially the throwing part? are you missing a lot? My advice for sharp turns is to always go back to the intersection or turning point whatever you call that, so you won't have to run a long way from the other end, only use 1 (speedboost) when you really need it for covering big distances.

In case you didn't read my first advice, don't throw at him or over him, throw it on the floor under him.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

The snap ground target option did make this significantly easier. Though it would be nice if it didn't take so long to reset.

Reductio ad absurdum

• It is a bit buggy sometimes. You basically need complete line of sight when you throw things at him. When I use the throw skill and there is a table or something nearby many times the throw just does not register at all. I did get it after several tries though. It helps to memorize where everything is. Also, rng can be a factor. If he asks for things nearby that's obviously going to be easier than when he keeps asking for things further away.

• I spent ages last night trying to do this, and it was impossible, I knew where all ingredients were after about 3 goes but still just could not do it and it realy made me rage. Logged on today and after 3 fails thought right one more before I kitten this off for ever and boom he asked for everything that was near him and I completed it.
    So I would say its all down to rng some on here are claiming its easy which I would have said if he asked for everything close by him or a clear shot and did it in 2/3 attempts, but like I said I tried for ages the night before and kept having to run all over the place and fail every time.

• Don't need to nerf it as you only need to do it once. I mean really, it's not that hard to throw orrian gulper across the room to the npc. It just isn't.

• Don't give up. It took me about 4-5 times. Here's what works:

• #1 tip: learn where he is going to stop. the chef only stops at a few particular spots. if you can predict where he is going by the direction he is running, it makes the task sooo much easier.
    • DO NOT try to throw the ingredient to him while he is running; you'll miss. Throw it to him when he first stops at a station.
    • learn/memorize where the ingredients are
    • use your bunny speed boost while holding ingredients
    • make sure your throw has a clear path. Do not through things over tables. they will disappear.
    • take your time. get in a good position. throw.

Good luck!

• Cyprien.4208Cyprien.4208 Member ✭✭✭

I agree it a little hard however not impossible it maybe took me 5 tries to get it and a lot of the fails was due to not remembering location and trying to throw when he was moving. It can be slightly hard to locate him but as more get it the area will have less people.

Don't Nerf was a challenge.

<13
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.