Please Nerf the Chef!!!

Oldirtbeard.9834

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned.Nah, it's just fine. Really.

There are times when I've thrown ingredients at him dead on and they haven't been acknowledged.You were probably LOSed - make sure there's no table/counter/rack or anything in the path between you and the chef.

If you screw up once you'll fail.False. I missed at least TWICE when I succeeded.

get ingredients that were far away from the Chef.A little RNG just to diversify things a little... but it's still perfectly doable, just keep trying.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jokke.6239 said:Took me like 15 tries, but I got it, it felt rewarding. But I don't care if it gets nerfed.

The hard one for me was the one were you had to remember those things that lit up in order. I had to use fraps to record it to be able to finish it with my bad memory :(

What helped me (I have short term memory and problems focusing), was to imagine it as patterns by drawing lines from point to point. Personally my visual memory is still better, so I used that to my advantage.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:For the sake of argument, even if the Dictator of Soup mastery is overtuned, why does it need to be nerfed? There are at least 80 mastery points for PoF and you only need about 50 for the primary masteries (probably about 70 including the hidden mastery).

Not saying it needs to be nerfed, nut the reason people are probably focused on this even though there are so many mastery points available, is because it's one of the few early accessible mastery points during the start of PoF when people are scrambling to get the mastery points needed for canyon jumping so they can continue the story.

Please do make sure this irritating venture works properly at least. I have had pick-ups that wouldn't register as the proper item even though it was literally the only pick-up there to do so. Something is not quite right. The timer just doesn't need to be so strict either, and you know what, while I'm at it, alter the way you can redo the quest without all the chit chat over and over and bloody over again. Need to redo it? Chef says, well, that wasn't very good. Let's try again. If automatically tries again after a few seconds with the option to simply stop. Please.

I'm not sure I want a nerf as such, but I've given the thing up for now as a poor design:

• There is no way to memorize the ingredient locations beforehand and on my own time, because the labels are only visible while you're doing the challenge. This should be an easy thing to change and would help quite a bit with preparations.
  • There are way too many obstacles - the table, the ceiling decorations, other players... Seriously, if Mr. Chef were to clean up his working area, things would go so much more smoothly.
  • The throw speed is sloooooooow. If Mr. Chef is in such a hurry, we should be bloody well able to throw him a fastball, and he should bloody well be able to catch it. Failing that, why not just hand him the stuff?
  • Like the Fallen Masks adventure, the RNG can send you repeatedly across the whole room. Frankly, I don't think he's cooking anywhere near the same soup every time, despite his claims to the contrary.

I'll probably try it again in the next few days with the snap-to-target option enabled to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll skip it until the design problems get fixed or the timer gets generously extended.

@Lambent.6375 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:For the sake of argument, even if the Dictator of Soup mastery is overtuned, why does it need to be nerfed? There are at least 80 mastery points for PoF and you only need about 50 for the primary masteries (probably about 70 including the hidden mastery).

Not saying it needs to be nerfed, nut the reason people are probably focused on this even though there are so many mastery points available, is because it's one of the few early accessible mastery points during the start of PoF when people are scrambling to get the mastery points needed for canyon jumping so they can continue the story.

But it's not one of the few; it's one of many that are accessible early. It just happens to be one that you come across by accident.

I finally got it. I got lucky with a group of ingredients close together after about 10 tries. So please don't nerf this. Just kidding, I don't care if Anet nerfs it since I can't do it again anymore anyway. Won't bother me a bit if it is nerfed. It isn't like it some repeatable game for more rewards. Then again I've never been one of those FYGM types. :)

This mastery was unusual and maybe a little annoying doing over and over, but it wasn't hard at all. Just take a little time, each time, to look around and locate all the ingredients. It took me a few tries, so I don't expect anyone could do this on the first try unless really lucky. I say leave this as it is.

@Martnor.1746 said:To be honest, if anything, they should make this repeatable. As the mastery point system is account-wide, we don't get the opportunity to do this again. And this is actually quite fun. Of course I don't see myself doing this everyday but you know.... once in a while, it can be fun to be a sous-chef :)

Hells Kitchen / Best Chef comes to Gw2, lol.

Hi Gudy,

Some tips that might be of assistance:

@Gudy.3607 said:

• There is no way to memorize the ingredient locations beforehand and on my own time, because the labels are only visible while you're doing the challenge. This should be an easy thing to change and would help quite a bit with preparations.

You know you can start the challenge and then stand there, memorising the locations? Do that a few times before attempting the challenge and you'll have it down pat. But, as I said in another comment, I'd be fine with the ingredients being labelled all the time. It would...ahem.. lend some flavour to the kitchen. ;)

• There are way too many obstacles - the table, the ceiling decorations, other players... Seriously, if Mr. Chef were to clean up his working area, things would go so much more smoothly.

You can jump over obstacles, in case you're running around them. The salmon table especially is one you want to jump over if you're on opposite sides from the chef. Combine that with the rabbit run (skill 1) and good positioning and nothing should obstruct your throws.

• The throw speed is sloooooooow. If Mr. Chef is in such a hurry, we should be bloody well able to throw him a fastball, and he should bloody well be able to catch it. Failing that, why not just hand him the stuff?

The trick here is to not lock onto him but throw it ahead of him. And if he's working somewhere and suddenly stands up straight, you know he's going to run.

• Like the Fallen Masks adventure, the RNG can send you repeatedly across the whole room. Frankly, I don't think he's cooking anywhere near the same soup every time, despite his claims to the contrary.

The RNG can also have him ask you for an ingredient that's right next to him, so it evens out.

I'll probably try it again in the next few days with the snap-to-target option enabled to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll skip it until the design problems get fixed or the timer gets generously extended.

The snap-to-target option can be a detriment. It's useful if he's just started working at a table and you're a distance away. But if he's about to run, it'll cause you to throw where he's been rather than where he's going.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned.

You are joking, right? :s

I don't want to sound mean, but I am really asking myself, if you can't master such a simple task movement-wise, how do you ever survive difficult fights?

I die repeatedly and hammer at the encounter until I beat it, sometimes with all my armor broken.

Sounds legit!

I also think the biggest problem really is the crazy long windup animation before you actually throw the ingredient, making it near impossible to actually hit the chef when he's moving and it also doesn't help at all when you're almost out of time, I've managed to get it in like 8 tries or so and I think that's pretty reasonable, but the windup animation definitely made it kinda frustrating.

But that's really the only thing that was a little annoying about this, it's still very do-able especially once you memorise roughly where everything is.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:First let me say Path of Fire is a real quality art piece, the difficulty is in a nice sweet spot, the story has really hit it's stride.

How ever we need to talk about this chef in the Crystal Oasis, his Mastery Point quest is way way over tuned. There are times when I've thrown ingredients at him dead on and they haven't been acknowledged. If you screw up once you'll fail. kitten over the course of 2 hours there have been a few times I have been perfect but still have the timer beat me any way because I kept on being told to get ingredients that were far away from the Chef. Please nerf this chef so that I don't need a carpal brace to recover thank you.

I'm sure there is a Dulfy Guide for this!

There were a few moments there where I didn't think it was possible. After I had memorized the location of every single item and a few lucky ingredient callouts (near him) I was able to complete it. Total time investment was around 15 minutes. That's reasonable. I think it's the number of attempts required to actually complete it that makes it FEEL overtuned. I think it's a bit ridiculous in its current state, but I would hate for it to be a meaningless few clicks by being too easy.

I agree with this. Some people have no problem with this challenge, others are finding it impossible. There are so many factors involved in whether or not someone can complete this. There is skill, your internet connection, your computer. Some of you are pro, I get it, I really do, and I am among those who wish they were as pro as you with a really good computer and a fast internet connection but alas that is not to be. My skill level is not bad, my internet is passable, my computer has issues. I tried this task, multiple times, and I stopped just short of throwing my keyboard across the room in frustration. The thing is having that unfinished Mastery Point showing on my map in the middle of the main city is just as frustrating as not being able to do it.

Please Anet, by the 5 Gods (go away Balth) please nerf this.

@Agrotera.1254 said:I agree with this. Some people have no problem with this challenge, others are finding it impossible. There are so many factors involved in whether or not someone can complete this. There is skill, your internet connection, your computer. Some of you are pro, I get it, I really do, and I am among those who wish they were as pro as you with a really good computer and a fast internet connection but alas that is not to be. My skill level is not bad, my internet is passable, my computer has issues. I tried this task, multiple times, and I stopped just short of throwing my keyboard across the room in frustration. The thing is having that unfinished Mastery Point showing on my map in the middle of the main city is just as frustrating as not being able to do it.

This is an OPTIONAL mastery. It does not stop your progress. Why trying to make everything look like a telltales game? Isnt there enough press F and done masteries already?

It's not the golden masks, you can do it with an aussie connection, its not easy but it doesnt require to be pro... just taking it for what it is: a challenge. Yes, it might take a few tries, or even some rage quits, but its definitely for a category of players who still enjoy being challenged a little.

Most games in the past were like that. You'd fail even ONE quest in GW1 UW and youd have to redo everything, and nobody was complaining back then!!

@Agrotera.1254 said:I agree with this. Some people have no problem with this challenge, others are finding it impossible. There are so many factors involved in whether or not someone can complete this. There is skill, your internet connection, your computer. Some of you are pro, I get it, I really do, and I am among those who wish they were as pro as you with a really good computer and a fast internet connection but alas that is not to be. My skill level is not bad, my internet is passable, my computer has issues. I tried this task, multiple times, and I stopped just short of throwing my keyboard across the room in frustration. The thing is having that unfinished Mastery Point showing on my map in the middle of the main city is just as frustrating as not being able to do it.

It's just trial and error, really.

The only issue I really had was the wind up animation for throwing, could screw you over in a few situations, especially if the chef moves before you finish the animation, it's a mild annoyance.

I did it in 8 tries or so, I don't think that's an unreasonable amount, what mostly helped me was just learning roughly where the ingredients were and waiting for the guy to stand still.

Archived