New forum pictures.

Kyon Sama.8301

At any point will it be possible for us to upload our characters as forum pictures? Honestly, I like the new forum format and it looks nice and sleek. My only problem is the fact that my picture is going to look like everybody else's picture. I like to think of my self as a special butterfly but this forum isn't allowing me to be my real self!

PS: Thanks for the new forums! I might even use it more than Reddit now. ;p

Its obviously possible in special cases (like Gaile's picture there) but I'm not sure the system supports custom avatars being uploaded on the user-side. Every other forum I've seen that uses this same forum base has a set of stock avatars.

Even if its possible, it may not be the most ideal thing on Anet's end as it would require constantly policing the forum avatars for inappropriate ones.

@Razor.9872 said:I am hoping that with the right API's, we can eventually have our profile pics be screenshot portraits of one of our characters.

Hmm, is there anything in the GW2 API that will give the ability to do that? If so, just limit it to that API call and then there would be no need to monitor pictures people use. I am going to guess anything someone might be wearing in the game has already been vetted by someone.

I prefer the restricted avatar system, otherwise it becomes another job for Anet to police forum avatars to make sure people are "playing nice". I would like to see more options, perhaps somehow integrating the guild banner system so we can use our guild icon. More images like what are currently available would work well also, but I don't think customization should go further than that.

@Razor.9872 said:I am hoping that with the right API's, we can eventually have our profile pics be screenshot portraits of one of our characters.

As far as I know, there's no current API able to generate characters minis, unfortunately. That's a broadly asked thing, though.I think that if/when it'll be possible, it'll be really nice to provide the API key or character name in the forum profile, in order to generate an avatar from one of the characters icons.

Having moderated forums before I can understand why they don't want to allow people to upload their own images. It's not just inappropriate pictures, it's also trying to make sure people keep it to the right size and don't do stupid things like upload flashing gifs that give people headaches. And then you either need to provide hosting for all those images or you need to give instructions on offsite hosting and...basically it's a lot of extra hassle.

Having said that it would be nice if there was a bigger selection. I'm hoping they'll add to it over time.

@Gailrin.1384 said:I don't mind choosing from a preset list. However, do the pictures seem a bit distorted and blurry for anyone else? Not sure if it's a style choice, or if they're not sized correctly for icons. They just don't seem quite as sharp as they could be.

Combination of both. They're using the usual stylistic "painted concept art" type of look present throughout the game, so part of it is that, but the images are also too small. You can see the clear difference in pixelation if you look at the image next to the poster's name (which is bigger) compared to what you see under a post for thumbs up for instance. Not to mention how pixelated the one on the profile page looks. They need to upload some larger quality images for the avatar pics.

It would be quite cool if they could somehow figure out how to link it to our accounts so we can use our own characters as icons rather than have us upload it, I understand the decision not to. If they can figure out a way to link it to our accounts I'd quite like to see special icons for those who played beta, icons depending on how many years you've played, icons for those who have bought HoT and PoF, having hard to get achievements unlock special icons for the forums, little things like that.

They're not necessary of course.

Since the ESO forum uses a similar (probably the same) system for their forum.Here is what i know.More avatar options will probably be added in the future. Most likely post PoF launch. Since they're kinda busy right now.Custom avatars like Gaile's. Probably either an only a Dev thing, or possibly you need at least Veteran rank before you get the option.How do you get ranks.By posting meaningful posts (so not bump posts or other spam post)By earning points through being "Helpful" with information posts.By generally earning badges for your account.You'll notice that earn enough, you get another star behind your name.On the ESO forum I've seen the star count go up to 10 stars, who were special community ambassadors.

I hope this helps a little?

@Thelgar.7214 said:Would it be a simpler API issue if they linked it to the head shot that is shown in parties and on the character select screen?As an aside, all the little profile pictures under the posts with how people voted are annoying.

I duno if the API lets us get those. If it did, it would prob work.also you can turn off the lil avatars showing in your signature settings.

Archived