When (If?) will we get Legendary Weapon sigil swapping?

Draeyon.4392

^^this, sadly.

I still don't get how swappable sigils would have a bigger impact on the economy than swappable runes had. If someone more economy savy could try to explain I would be very happy. As I see it, the sigil economy isn't different from the runes one. You have some very niche or needed for the meta that sell for a bit and lots of trash selling below vendor value. A friend told me that runes and sigils are a big source of income to some players...I just have never met one that wasn't using the infinite removal tool for profit.

Econmy aside, swappable sigils/infusions is one of my biggest wishes for the game. Weapons should be on par with other legendary gear and offer the same amount of QoL. To be on par with armors and trinkets, swappable upgrades need to happen. Also, the QoL that is kinda promised with legendaries is "swap your gear on the fly", that's just not possible with legendary weapons not having swappable upgrades, at least not when you're going for end content(Raids, Fractals, WvW). Legendary weapons shhould be "the last weapon you craft" but at the time of writing I'm carrying around asscended doubles and sometimes tripples to switch to proper builds that do require different upgrades. Swappable upgrades are a problem, not everyone has. I get that.

To guesstimate on a "when". It's probably going to happen when(if) build templates are introduced. A more recent dev post, I'm not able to reproduce at the moment(if you find it feel free to post away), suggests that the issues are heavily intertwined. The flexibility of legendary items, having swappable stats and (sometimes) upgrades, seems to pose additional challenges to implementing a working template system.

Let's hope it will happen some day. :)

We should’ve gotten it the day they released the Legendary Armour. No ifs or buts about it. Legendary Weapons are just that much less useable without it.

I’d even go as far as to say that the stat swapping mechanic is next to pointless without it. The armour you can, for example, switch between Power and Condi as you please since you can exchange the Runes freely. The weapons are pretty much locked into one or the other due to not being able to swap the Sigils.

I can juggle the Heavy Armour between my Warrior (Power) and Firebrand (Condi) easily but my Greatsword has to stay put on my Warrior because my Reaper can’t use it since one is Power and the other is Condi and it would be ridiculously expensive to buy new Sigils each kitten time...

If I have two ascended staffs, one magi and one berserker or just one Nevermore with sigil swap I still have to buy 4 sigils either way.

The only way this would affect the market is when you have a legendary 2h weapon and you only want to swap one sigil: Berserker Nevermore with force + x-slaying. You would only have to buy one sigil of force instead of 5 for example when using 5 staffs with a total of +15% against a specific monster.

@DirtyDan.4759 said:If I have two ascended staffs, one magi and one berserker or just one Nevermore with sigil swap I still have to buy 4 sigils either way.

The only way this would affect the market is when you have a legendary 2h weapon and you only want to swap one sigil: Berserker Nevermore with force + x-slaying. You would only have to buy one sigil of force instead of 5 for example when using 5 staffs with a total of +15% against a specific monster.

Incorrect. Swapping sigils destroy the sigils in the staff so in the long run legendary gear is more expensive to maintain

The economic impact of sigil swapping is a red herring, ArenaNet clarified that that was just something they had to consider, but isn't much of an issue. The reality is there is some technical issue around sigil swapping that caused complications (I would guess it is something to do with two handed weapons having two sigils). Those issues still have to be resolved but they have been given a low priority.

Pifil hits it on the head, this issue is the swapping mechanic on items with 2 of the same slot. Need more proof? Aurora acts like legendary armor with infusion swapping, while the backpacks act like legendary weapons, you cant swap infusions. The backpacks have 2 slots while aurora only has 1 slot. Think this might be another reason the legendary ring has not been released in over 9 months.Also the introduction of the infinite extractors has done more damage to the economy than sigil swappng will ever do.

This feature should have been a thing as soon as legendary weapons were introduced to the games, I can think of very few situations where swapping stats on gear won't require an upgrade change as well. Not being able to do so defeats the purpose of legendary weapons (aside from the skin) and it's honestly insulting that armor has this without it destroying the prices of runes

ANet didn't actually say what the reason was. What they said was that they were intending to roll out sigil swapping at the same time as rune swapping/legendary armor. But then they looked at the economics and they decided to review their plan, at which point, they decided to indefinitely postpone the idea.

So while looking at the exotic sigil market caused them to slow down rollout, they didn't explicitly say that was the only reason for canceling the idea altogether.

Regardless, they haven't commented on the idea recently, despite the fact that the sigil market has collapsed: the existence of the unlimited extractor means that a select group of people are able to grab any rune/sigil of value, which has helped increase the supply.

My pet theory (with absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back it up) is that ANet is trying to figure out how to replace sigils & runes with a different system, that will also make build templates easier for them to setup. And rather than work on a short-term fix of allowing free sigil swap for legendary weapons, they have a long term solution in mind that touches a lot of the same bits of code.

This would explain why they haven't commented, although of course it begs the question: what were they thinking of releasing an endless extractor available to the people who can already afford to replace sigils, and nothing much for the rest of us.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:Pifil hits it on the head, this issue is the swapping mechanic on items with 2 of the same slot. Need more proof? Aurora acts like legendary armor with infusion swapping, while the backpacks act like legendary weapons, you cant swap infusions. The backpacks have 2 slots while aurora only has 1 slot. Think this might be another reason the legendary ring has not been released in over 9 months.Also the introduction of the infinite extractors has done more damage to the economy than sigil swappng will ever do.

You can swap infusions on the legendary backpiecces I think. But Yeah, I haven't thought about two handed and one handed weapons being maybe different and complicating weapons over armor.

Archived