Detonate Aura - Change Suggestion

Lasiurus.4067

Hi, here is a change suggestion i'll make but first tell me your mind about it.About Aura Detonation : we now can detonate Aura : when an aura is activate you gain access to a new skill instead of it, in the weapon skill bar : detonate it, to end the aura & make some DPS & other cool effect.

BUT you can only detonate aura from Weapon Skill (Dagger Air 3, Dagger Water 4, Focus Fire 5, Staff Earth 3) EXCEPT IF :

• You can only detonate Aura from combo or from Shout IF you got the right Weapon Set (For example you can detonate Fire Aura only if you got Focus and if you are in Fire, to use Focus 5)
  • You have to stay in the same attunement of the aura activation, to detonate it.

These things make the Aura detonation very weird, and not very usefull especially in PvP/WvW, because you cannot stay stuck in an attunement, and because the amount of aura from weapon you get is very low.You can only detonate Fire Aura if you got a Focus, Magnetic Aura if you got a Staff, Shock Aura if Main Hand Dagger, Frost Aura if Off Hand Dagger

My Suggestion :

• You can detonate ALL aura you apply to yourself (via weapon skill, combo, shout, etc)
  • You can detonate Aura thanks to F5 skill.
  • This F5 Skill got a 10s CD, so you can detonate an aura (whatever aura it is) only each 10s (to avoid detonate spam & being broken)
  • This F5 Skill let you detonate only the last aura applied, if you got multiple aura active at the same time

This way you don't need to stay in the same attunement, and it's not broken because only 1 detonation each 10s maximum.Lot's of build can use it & not only weapon skill.

What do you think about it ? Any improvement / Suggestion ?

You cannot detonate Aura from combo or from Shout.

You can detonate any aura from any source apparently, but you can only detonate it with weapon skills that give auras by default. The problem with this is obviously not having aura weapon skills available all the time (attunement on cooldown, not equipped specific weapon) on top of cooldown on detonation (like you mentioned).

Detonation could be on either F5 (10 seconds might be a big high since you can currently trigger fire and shocking aura almost immediately on dagger/focus build; having 2 ammo charges would be ideal) or as flip skill on F1-F4, based on which aura is present. For example: we have frost, shocking and fire aura in our buff bar, F1-F3 become flip skills that will detonate specific aura (each aura has it's own cooldown, attunement cooldown isnt affected in any way; if detonation is on cooldown, it doesnt appear on F skill so it doesnt block attunement swapping).

Problem of F5: sharing same cooldown that you could otherwise ignore (multiple auras can be detonated quickly right now), but cooldown on same aura detonation is not affected much (10 second global cooldown or 8 second cooldown per aura), unless that global cooldown is much shorter, which makes this solution a lot better.

Problem on F1-F4: blocking attunement swapping if detonation is ready (you're in water attunement, you receive shocking aura from external source, you cant swap to air without detonating aura first - detonating is useless if it doesnt hit anyone, but it still goes on cooldown, so you cant trigger it again with your own aura).

Another solution: auras detonate on their own when they finish. It can be smaller effect on smaller (or even separate) cooldown.

I am just confused by the flip skill / detonate aura when in the same attunement & weapon. Look like Ele micromanaging 2.0. The F5 detonate sounds like a reasonable idea to make it more useful and easier, even if it would mean that F5 detonates all auras at the same time (if there is a technical limitation to differentiate them).

@Lasiurus.4067 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:You
CAN
detonate the aura from shouts. I'd bet you can even detonate an aura you get from another player. You only need to access the respective weapon skill.

So you can detonate a Fire Shield from combo or shout, only if you got a Focus ? Then thats really really weird.

Its not a really new mechanic, its not really a buff to auras.

Its a buff to aura weapon skills. Just that.

Before, aura weapon skills were very lackluster. Even more when you can't stack duration for auras.Now they are a bit more useful.

• 2 weeks later...

@"cgMatt.5162" said:

• Earth Warhorn 4 does not detonate Magnetic AuraEarth Warhorn is not supposed to detonate magnetic aura, much like the tempest shouts are not supposed to do that.
  • "Removal upon Detonation" in tooltip not really clear that it cleanses condiI Agree.
  • Can we have Transmute Fire/Lightning/Frost/Earth in the tooltip above the weapon skill?Yes, so much this. And add some information to how this works, it just isn't a simple flip skill like Binding Blade - Pull or Impale - Rip. I don't expect new players to know instantly when they can use this mysterious Transmute Fire skill that randomly appears on the spot of Fire shield.

Similarly, I would be happy if you could see these skills without equipping the weapon in the Build>Weapon Skills tab, although that is a broader problem concerning many weapons across many classes...

I suspect that if a Tempest revamp ever comes, mass aura detonation will be a feature in one way or another. If nothing else it might be a trait to make certain shouts, like Eye of the Storm (that has no aura) and/or Rebound (that applies an aura after the effect ends) to detonate any and all elemental auras on the player and possibly on allies in range.

Why not give mainhand skills a detonate skill? So you can generate aura with OH and detonate with MH and the normal auraskills have both generation and detonation.Ofc you could also just give each weaponset a possibility to gain aura with one hand and detonate with the other and change the CD so it is indipendend of detonation but depended on aura, so you cannot chain detonate a fire aura but many different ones you can.

That isn't what he means. He's saying if you, for instance, have frost aura and get another frost aura before the one you have expires, the old one should auto-detonate itself. That's fine for auras that can just be spammed, like fire or frost, but it would see very little use with anything else and I do not think that was the way aura detonations were meant to be used, that being an active skill which you need to carefully choose when and where to use. The best way to make them less clunky would probably be to have an f5 which detonates all the auras an ele currently has with a 15-20sec cd.

If ANet's intent really was to buff the weapon skills which grant the auras, they could have made them similar to warhorn's sand squall by redesigning the abilities to perform an attack of some sort while also granting the aura they originally had.

@lakdav.3694 said:I suspect that if a Tempest revamp ever comes, mass aura detonation will be a feature in one way or another. If nothing else it might be a trait to make certain shouts, like Eye of the Storm (that has no aura) and/or Rebound (that applies an aura after the effect ends) to detonate any and all elemental auras on the player and possibly on allies in range.

I agree, any significant aura changes (e.g. F5 detonate) should be a Tempest mechanic. For Weaver, give me my F5 Unravel... :3

Please no F5. Really does not fit playstyle and the setting.

F1 - Awesome fire magixx, lots of damage and AoE!F2 - Great air stuff, lightning pewpew and shocking stuff!F3 - Water magic, healing and fluidity, yeah!F4 - Earth! Throw rocks, make earth walls, awesome!F5 - Detonate some aura...

Add a couple of auras to some weapon sets (sword, scepter, staff, make warhorn magnetic aura detonatable). Then make the shouts give access to detonating too. Then improve the effects and instant cast.

The aura change was kinda poor to begin with, but it gives us some kind of additional decision-making. Should I detonate or keep the aura? Should I swap attunements or wait for a detonate? That's why I love ele, it is not like "full counter is off CD? lol gonna press it immediately, I am so good!" Yes, I overexaggerate.

Archived