TL;DR of the feedback forum thread:

DakotaCoty.5721

Feedback / community concern(s) / Issue list:

Threads can only be edited 15 minutes after publishing - this is punishing for LFG/Content creators like myself that update their index regularly. Fixed.

Notifications appear in the middle of the screen - these should probably be at the bottom right or bottom left.

Can't use signatures - I understand the avatar/images issue, just ban images from them.

Can't select our own avatar - maybe a feature that allows us to avatar our own characters based on selection screen? Response by Gaile was about security issues that uploading avatars to the GW2 servers might have.

The general UI and interactivity needs to be smaller - players showed concern with how big the up/down/helpful buttons are (also never remove this feature)

Cannot seem to underline text anymore.

Post count would be really nice - just to see who is really active, can be placed under the avatar.

Join date / game account age on profile. can be placed under the avatar.

too much clutter (in reference to the UI being too big) - it seems people would like a smaller version of the forums / UI / buttons.

A night/dark theme mode for the forums - not sure if this is do-able but it was requested. Gaile said that this is currently not in the works or coming in the foreseeable future as it would be too complicated of a system to add.

Guild icons as avatars.

No time stamps on post, just date. - it would be nice to see when something was posted, by the minute, rather than just the date. Can be found by hovering your mouse over the initial post date

12a. The time only shows on the post until the date changes, then only the date shows.

People are saying you have to unlock features, seems most people dislike this idea. Roles have been changed around, unlocking full edit rights = 5 posts and 3 days join time.

No notification option for people who upvote/downvote/helpful your posts.

Role/title for content creators, guide makers and partnered people - This would make it so they can be easily identified and who makes content for GW2

Allow people to input their character data and use it on the forums - at the bottom of your avatar when you post, add your level/race/class, allow only 1 to prevent overflowing.

Thumbs up / down / helpful to look different if we've already selected it - perhaps grey it out once the user has selected an option?

Thumbs down to be removed - players showed concern that it would be an easily abused feature and encourage witch hunting

Avatar Quality - Avatar quality on posts is blurry because it upscales the 40x40 image.

Thread viewing, too much space - A lot of people showed concerns with how big the actual forum format and layout is; there is a lot of white space in the threads. They feel it should be reduced by 5-10%, possibly even 15%. I use the browser on my 1080p monitor and have to have it zoomed out quite a bit to 'fix' this issue.

I really don't like the new mobile browsing experience at all. Haven't tried it on my computer yet but I don't like how zoomed in it is. You can't see nearly as much as you could on the old forums

And the "full view" wastes wayyyyyy to much space/is kind of fucked

Can't upload to imgur on mobile but:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gafnhXpZTSbJiqoYIlI3xBbtNfl1xACAXQ/view?usp=drivesdkhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1S_EdFeIBHqZqOSnwVX3CuvQMH91PQPiucg/view?usp=drivesdk

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:I can no longer edit my post :anguished:

If it makes you feel any better, your list is already good enough as it is.

I wish the "Report", "Quote", "Helpful" and etc buttons could be changed so they're just the icons, without the text. It would look a lot less polluted when reading a topic. The actual content of a post is very hard to read right now, squished between the huge poster name and the red icons and text.

nice summation of the complaints, in a clear and concise constructive criticism kind of way.

to add my 2 copper worth. i don't see a setting anywhere to select how many posts i'd like to see on a page. i usually like to set it to max, so i don't have to load a new page every 10-20 posts. i prefer about 100-200 posts per page. i would really like to be able to set how many posts i see on single page.

however, i'd like to say that i DO like seeing more threads on a page (around 50) on the new forums, versus only seeing 20 per page on the old. i suppose i'd like to also see a setting for number of threads listed in the sub-forum as well.

List of suggestions:

1. Black background and white text is just as bad for the eyes as a white blackground with dark text (good thing the text is grey, not black, because that is less of a contrast and thus better for the eyes).
  2. Ideal would be if the background had grey grain added or was a little darker (light grey, for instance).
  3. I like the new sections, much tidier now.
  4. The avatars are too blurry (tiny images scaled up), please replace with nicer versions.
  5. Make it possible to link to a specific post via anchor.
  6. The generally large layout is not my thing, especially since web designers can add a function that detects what kind of a device you are using. Mobile device = larger layout (higher readability), PC monitors = smaller layouts (or else there is too much unneccessary scrolling).
  7. Please remove the thumbs-down feature. IMO, that only invites animosity and can be abused by trolls.

@Ubi.4136 said:I agree with most of the OP. Helpful Posts should remain, but the thumbs up/down has no use in a game forum. You're not moving posts up or down the page to bury them. It is a chronological discussion. Seeing that people found a post helpful is a good thing. The other...is not.

I think the upvote system is useful, the downvote system I believe could be easily abused.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Thanks, Dakota, for summarizing the most common critiques.(Not to others: there already exists a thread to comment -- this one is primarily for those of us who don't want a tl;dr before offering an opinion... or even choosing just to upvote what's already been written.)

No problem, people should post all their feedback to the original thread, I am just summarising what people are mostly talking about :)

I'd love to add more to it but still can't edit.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:Feedback / community concern(s) / Issue list:

1. Threads can only be edited 15 minutes after publishing - this is punishing for LFG/Content creators like myself that update their index regularly.
  2. Notifications appear in the middle of the screen - these should probably be at the bottom right or bottom left.
  3. Can't use signatures - I understand the avatar/images issue, just ban images from them.
  4. Can't select our own avatar - maybe a feature that allows us to avatar our own characters based on selection screen?
  5. The general UI and interactivity needs to be smaller - players showed concern with how big the up/down/helpful buttons are (also never remove this feature)
  6. Cannot seem to underline text anymore.
  7. Post count would be really nice - just to see who is really active, can be placed under the avatar.
  8. Join date / game account age on profile. can be placed under the avatar.
  9. too much clutter (in reference to the UI being too big) - it seems people would like a smaller version of the forums / UI / buttons.
  10. A night/dark theme mode for the forums - not sure if this is do-able but it was requested.
  11. Guild icons as avatars.
  12. No time stamps on post, just date. - it would be nice to see when something was posted, by the minute, rather than just the date.12a. The time only shows on the post until the date changes, then only the date shows.
  13. People are saying you have to unlock features, seems most people dislike this idea.
  14. No notification option for people who upvote/downvote/helpful your posts.
  15. Role/title for content creators, guide makers and partnered people - This would make it so they can be easily identified and who makes content for GW2
  16. Allow people to input their character data and use it on the forums - at the bottom of your avatar when you post, add your level/race/class, allow only 1 to prevent overflowing.
  17. Thumbs up / down / helpful to look different if we've already selected it - perhaps grey it out once the user has selected an option?
  1. Agree on "no edits rule." The time should be in the scale of months, not minutes.
  2. Agree the notifications should be moved.
  3. Forum signatures should die. They're frowned upon on big internet forums like Facepunch and Reddit.
  4. Add a button in-game that sets the chat headshot of your character, but facing right instead of left as forum avatar.
  5. Needs a bigger focus on icons instead of text.
  6. test
  7. Post count isn't a terrible idea besides the ego thing, and these forums generally aren't worth posting on. I'm neutral on this.
  8. Neutral on join date. Maybe.
  9. I saw people complaining it's too compact. The layout is indeed weird and yet another attempt at modern forums. Who knows.
  10. Not necessary, but sure.
  11. Good idea.
  12. / 12a. Definitely. Haven't seen if there's a mouseover for timestamp yet.
  13. Don't think so.
  14. Should be an option, yeah.
  15. Nah, no special recognition for partners please. I don't like how ANet does this.
  16. +Support
  17. +

Auto draft saving while typing this was cool though. Now Linsey won't "delete those spreadsheets".

I just noticed I made a typo in "feedback", worst part is, I can't even edit it.

@Cronos.6532 said:

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:Feedback / community concern(s) / Issue list:
  1. Threads can only be edited 15 minutes after publishing
    -
    this is punishing for LFG/Content creators like myself that update their index regularly.
  2. Notifications appear in the middle of the screen
    -
    these should probably be at the bottom right or bottom left.
  3. Can't use signatures
    -
    I understand the avatar/images issue, just ban images from them.
  4. Can't select our own avatar
    -
    maybe a feature that allows us to avatar our own characters based on selection screen?
  5. The general UI and interactivity needs to be smaller
    -
    players showed concern with how big the up/down/helpful buttons are (also never remove this feature)
  6. Cannot seem to underline text anymore.
  7. Post count would be really nice
    - just to see who is really active,
    can be placed under the avatar.
  8. Join date / game account age on profile.
    can be placed under the avatar.
  9. too much clutter (in reference to the UI being too big)
    -
    it seems people would like a smaller version of the forums / UI / buttons.
  10. A night/dark theme mode for the forums
    -
    not sure if this is do-able but it was requested.
  11. Guild icons as avatars.
  12. No time stamps on post, just date.
    -
    it would be nice to see when something was posted, by the minute, rather than just the date.
    12a.
    The time only shows on the post until the date changes, then only the date shows.
  13. People are saying you have to unlock features, seems most people dislike this idea.
  14. No notification option for people who upvote/downvote/helpful your posts.
  15. Role/title for content creators, guide makers and partnered people
    -
    This would make it so they can be easily identified and who makes content for GW2
  16. Allow people to input their character data and use it on the forums
    - at the bottom of your avatar when you post, add your level/race/class, allow only 1 to prevent overflowing.
  17. Thumbs up / down / helpful to look different if we've already selected it
    -
    perhaps grey it out once the user has selected an option?
  1. Agree on "no edits rule." The time should be in the scale of months, not minutes.
  2. Agree the notifications should be moved.
  3. Forum signatures should die. They're frowned upon on big internet forums like Facepunch and Reddit.
  4. Add a button in-game that sets the chat headshot of your character, but facing right instead of left as forum avatar.
  5. Needs a bigger focus on icons instead of text.
  6. test
  7. Post count isn't a terrible idea besides the ego thing, and these forums generally aren't worth posting on. I'm neutral on this.
  8. Neutral on join date. Maybe.
  9. I saw people complaining it's too compact. The layout is indeed weird and yet another attempt at modern forums. Who knows.
  10. Not necessary, but sure.
  11. Good idea.
  12. / 12a. Definitely. Haven't seen if there's a mouseover for timestamp yet.
  13. Don't think so.
  14. Should be an option, yeah.
  15. Nah, no special recognition for partners please. I don't like how ANet does this.
  16. +Support
  17. +

Auto draft saving while typing this was cool though. Now Linsey won't "delete those spreadsheets".

I definitely think some recognition to content creators and partners should be given or some type of recognition to extremely helpful people would be great, also. But it's just an idea.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:One feature I'm going to miss is the ability to upload images and screenshots to the forums. It might be hidden as a high ranking forum privilege, but I'll be darned if I can't find a list of those anywhere.

This. Screenshots are an important part of both calling out bugs and diagnosing problems. The simplest and safest thing is to just take a screenshot and then upload it. Why bother with other unrelated websites in order to share and view images? If such a basic feature as image upload is now missing, I cannot even guess why it would ever have been removed.

@Nox Lucis.8341 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:One feature I'm going to miss is the ability to upload images and screenshots to the forums. It might be hidden as a high ranking forum privilege, but I'll be darned if I can't find a list of those anywhere.

This. Screenshots are an important part of both calling out bugs and diagnosing problems. The simplest and safest thing is to just take a screenshot and then upload it. Why bother with other unrelated websites in order to share and view images? If such a basic feature as image upload is now missing, I cannot even guess why it would ever have been removed.

it was removed because their security guy said it was a security risk. (not even going to go into how much of a security risk having random links to other places, that may or may not be images, instead of image attachments is).

Archived