[Guide] Burn DH for wvw, build and guide! — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Guardian

[Guide] Burn DH for wvw, build and guide!

RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

link to the build in the description, happy burning =D

Comments

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Just bumping this because I've been playing Burn DH more and more lately, and it's stupidly fun. On the one hand I almost feel like it is a pure troll build, since any organized murderball will shrug off your attacks, and leave their bootprints on your face as they run over your corpse, but as we all know, many many groups out there are far from organized.

    One thing I find super fun is that I'm finally a threat to defenders and siege on a wall. Normally I'll play Hammer Herald in WvW, and I have to get lucky and connect Drop the Hammer + Phase Smash + Elements to have a chance of downing someone humping an AC or Bali. But with a DH, Hunter's Ward is decent, but either Symbol of Energy / Symbol of Punishment + Sword of Justice is all it takes to both down the player and take out the siege.

    We'll see what happens after the great Balance Patch of 2020 lands, but for now, this competing with my Hammer Rev for playtime.

  • alain.1659alain.1659 Member ✭✭✭

    Yep need to pay respects for this wonderful build. I tweaked it for my own taste but the core is from OP and it works wonders. Thanks :)

  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Just bumping this because I've been playing Burn DH more and more lately, and it's stupidly fun. On the one hand I almost feel like it is a pure troll build, since any organized murderball will shrug off your attacks, and leave their bootprints on your face as they run over your corpse, but as we all know, many many groups out there are far from organized.

    One thing I find super fun is that I'm finally a threat to defenders and siege on a wall. Normally I'll play Hammer Herald in WvW, and I have to get lucky and connect Drop the Hammer + Phase Smash + Elements to have a chance of downing someone humping an AC or Bali. But with a DH, Hunter's Ward is decent, but either Symbol of Energy / Symbol of Punishment + Sword of Justice is all it takes to both down the player and take out the siege.

    We'll see what happens after the great Balance Patch of 2020 lands, but for now, this competing with my Hammer Rev for playtime.

    Wondered if you still played. And yes burn guard melts pugs standing on catas and rams rofl. If more go to rez it just gets even more hilarious ;-)

    Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Burn DH is a straight up counter to Thieves.

    Once the spear lands on them, they're basically taken out of the game.

    So nice to toast them over time and when they try to run, yank them back into my Purging Flames.

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Justine.6351 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Just bumping this because I've been playing Burn DH more and more lately, and it's stupidly fun. On the one hand I almost feel like it is a pure troll build, since any organized murderball will shrug off your attacks, and leave their bootprints on your face as they run over your corpse, but as we all know, many many groups out there are far from organized.

    One thing I find super fun is that I'm finally a threat to defenders and siege on a wall. Normally I'll play Hammer Herald in WvW, and I have to get lucky and connect Drop the Hammer + Phase Smash + Elements to have a chance of downing someone humping an AC or Bali. But with a DH, Hunter's Ward is decent, but either Symbol of Energy / Symbol of Punishment + Sword of Justice is all it takes to both down the player and take out the siege.

    We'll see what happens after the great Balance Patch of 2020 lands, but for now, this competing with my Hammer Rev for playtime.

    Wondered if you still played. And yes burn guard melts pugs standing on catas and rams rofl. If more go to rez it just gets even more hilarious ;-)

    I took a break from early Dec to January, but I'm back playing, mostly just WvW and Fractals.

    I just hadn't posted on the forums for an extended period for reasons I can't state without getting banned, but one only has to look at the recent return of a certain poster to the WvW section who has obvious Warclaw Derangement Syndrome to see what ANET is willing to tolerate, and as such, my time is better spent on Reddit.

  • ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2020

    For roaming, you can meme with shield of the avenger instead of reflect wall. The funny thing is that it inflicts burn and nobody knows it is even killing them. Pair it up with BGH and they'll die slowly since 99% of people are going to burn their stab and think that's that. xD

    I suggest a tankier mix with carrion/tb/grieving for roaming of course. Given the potential condi meta of the future I figured it was worth bringing it up.

  • Gwaihir.1745Gwaihir.1745 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Well see what happens when the patch hits, burn guards will probably get hit pretty hard in a second pass if they come out of the woodwork.

    Shield of Wrath: Reduced the cooldown of this skill from 36 seconds to 35 seconds.

    Quality balance changes^TM

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm just trying to enjoy this for as long as it is around.

    Joined a pug group on the other day, and we took 30ish people into Wildcreek to fight off around 50-60 of Green team. (they even had ACs built outside on the road). The fight lasted a good solid 5-6 minutes, but in the end we were overwhelmed. We had a last stand up on the wall by the mountain side, corner towards Rogues, where wave after wave of Green just kept coming until we got stomped.

    Member of the squad mentioned that by the end I was pulling just over 1 Million DPS on my burn DH ^_^

  • alain.1659alain.1659 Member ✭✭✭

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:

    link to the build in the description, happy burning =D

    Any new ideas for post patch? I have been tinkering with it but I really wonder about your builds for burn dh and maybe burn fb :)

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @alain.1659 said:

    link to the build in the description, happy burning =D

    Any new ideas for post patch? I have been tinkering with it but I really wonder about your builds for burn dh and maybe burn fb :)

    There's some fun stuff you can do with both, but i'm holding onto the ideas right now so our guild can enjoy them for a bit

    sorry :>

  • alain.1659alain.1659 Member ✭✭✭

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:

    link to the build in the description, happy burning =D

    Any new ideas for post patch? I have been tinkering with it but I really wonder about your builds for burn dh and maybe burn fb :)

    There's some fun stuff you can do with both, but i'm holding onto the ideas right now so our guild can enjoy them for a bit

    sorry :>

    No problem :) I will wait to see if your builds are similar to mine or not. I started to play burn guardian because of you and now burn fb is my favourite. Thanks :)

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2020

    The biggest challenge of playing a Burn DH is that you get consistently targeted and sniped, as the community has learned that letting you freecast is as dangerous as ignoring a staff ele.

  • ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020

    It's actually better that way since you can place your sword of justice on where they'll go, instead of having to walk up to them. It's also easier if your group will push instead of constantly pirate shipping. Have your f3 up when bursting. And then f2 ---> renewed focus ---> f2 when needed.

    I play significantly tankier so damage is lower but still enough to nail them if they're not careful. My style has always been about kiting people into our side though; it does get me killed sometimes. ;)

    It's actually a very flexible spec. Despite the memes, this build is very well crafted and turns out it really was 1 step ahead xD

    Though Anet will probably nerf bat it in about 6 months; better have your fun.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The meta has seen more and more shifts to melee play, with more stealth/portal bombs than a few months back. I've started running Procession of Blades (with Unscathed trait) over Wall of Reflection and it works quite nicely. I'm still running Soaring Devastation for the CC and cleave though, but the trap always seems ready when I need it. Longbow still works well for ranged pressure, clearing walls and just annoying the kitten out of an enemy group (I especially love pinging people when my auto attack ricochets off cannons or oil), and is great for tagging downed players for loot once they roach.

  • aaron.7850aaron.7850 Member ✭✭✭

    Why Dragon Hunter over Radiance or Firebrand?

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @aaron.7850 said:
    Why Dragon Hunter over Radiance or Firebrand?

    DH gets a cover condition, better mobility (f2 ), better hard defense (f3), and longbow 5.

    You get better burst windows on DH in general

  • Talindra.4958Talindra.4958 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020

    hi risen, how about power DH (sceptor)? what in your opinion of power DH in a strong sustain squad

    Death is Energy [DIE] & Bongbong [BB] in FoW
    Envoy's Herald, EAoA, CoZ, VitV, DD, SS, The Eternal, LNHB, Champion Magus, Champion Phantom, Wondrous Achiever etc.

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Talindra.4958 said:
    hi risen, how about power DH (sceptor)? what in your opinion of power DH in a strong sustain squad

    works fine, core power with scepter+staff probably has better burst.

  • Talindra.4958Talindra.4958 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:

    @Talindra.4958 said:
    hi risen, how about power DH (sceptor)? what in your opinion of power DH in a strong sustain squad

    works fine, core power with scepter+staff probably has better burst.

    Thanks. will be nice if you are able to make a video with other strong dps professions in squad with arcdps meter on.. just to see the comparison..

    Death is Energy [DIE] & Bongbong [BB] in FoW
    Envoy's Herald, EAoA, CoZ, VitV, DD, SS, The Eternal, LNHB, Champion Magus, Champion Phantom, Wondrous Achiever etc.

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭