First Spear Dehvad - Pristine Skree Harpy Feather — Guild Wars 2 Forums

First Spear Dehvad - Pristine Skree Harpy Feather

So I've been trying to complete the MP for First Spear Dehvad in the Desolation.. One of the three items needed to be collected is a Pristine Skree Harpy Feather which you are supposed to get as a drop by killing harpies. I've blown up upwards of 100 harpies in the sulfur area north of this MP trying different locations and have not gotten one to drop. Just wondering if this is expected behavior or if I've run into some kind of bug?

The reason I ask is that from what I've read or responses I've received in chat it sounds like people get it anywhere from their first harpy kill to about 5 minutes of hunting harpies.

Comments

  • Haishao.6851Haishao.6851 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

    I got one pretty quickly at the north east of the map. But it was last week, so maybe it's changed now

  • castlemanic.3198castlemanic.3198 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I've had issues with getting the harpy feather too. I just assume it's a random chance thing and we've been on the poorer end of that chance.

    Whataboutism is disingenuous at best. If you join a debate and provide little to no proof when the other side provides lots of evidence, you can't then declare yourself the winner of that debate.

  • @castlemanic.3198 said:
    I've had issues with getting the harpy feather too. I just assume it's a random chance thing and we've been on the poorer end of that chance.

    Well, that would definitely fit in with my normal RNG.. :) At least it helps to know it's not just me. Thanks!

  • castlemanic.3198castlemanic.3198 Member ✭✭✭✭

    No problem! Hopefully you get it at some point, I gave up on it a while back =p, might try again though.

    Whataboutism is disingenuous at best. If you join a debate and provide little to no proof when the other side provides lots of evidence, you can't then declare yourself the winner of that debate.

  • Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It's random. I got the harpy feather before I even knew what it was good for, but I had a hard time hunting devourers for their piece in exchange.

  • Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I actually got the pristine feather right on the first kill, my problem is, I cant find any devourers in the desolation..

    To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ayakaru.6583 said:
    I actually got the pristine feather right on the first kill, my problem is, I cant find any devourers in the desolation..

    There are quite a few near Lair of the Forgotten Waypoint area, mostly between that area and the area of the junundu attack events. That's where I went to get mine.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

    I get most of my stuff on accident. I wade into an area and kill everything in sight. Every once in a while I hit an achievement goal yay me and go on to the next victim.

    "That's what" -- She

  • Purgatori.3645Purgatori.3645 Member ✭✭✭

    @RouterGeeks.6320 said:
    So I've been trying to complete the MP for First Spear Dehvad in the Desolation.. One of the three items needed to be collected is a Pristine Skree Harpy Feather which you are supposed to get as a drop by killing harpies. I've blown up upwards of 100 harpies in the sulfur area north of this MP trying different locations and have not gotten one to drop. Just wondering if this is expected behavior or if I've run into some kind of bug?

    The reason I ask is that from what I've read or responses I've received in chat it sounds like people get it anywhere from their first harpy kill to about 5 minutes of hunting harpies.

    I got this on the first try by going to the Boundary Preserve ... the harpy's up there around the top of the cliffs will give you a feather!

    When life knocks you down ... Rollover and look at the Stars

  • Purgatori.3645Purgatori.3645 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ayakaru.6583 said:
    I actually got the pristine feather right on the first kill, my problem is, I cant find any devourers in the desolation..

    There are also some around Sand Jackal Run Waypoint ... Im pretty sure thats where I got my drop

    When life knocks you down ... Rollover and look at the Stars

  • Just spent a good hour killing about 50 harpies or so in the Sulfur Quarry and nothing.... Switched to the Devours and boom, first kill (not even a veteran) dropped the kitten thing.
    I believe that if you don't get a drop in 5 min or so just go do something else. DR might be hitting and since the item is a rare drop, might as well be influenced by it.

    Went back to harpies, no luck yet. Gonna give it another try tomorrow.

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Wolf Fivousix.4319 said:
    Just spent a good hour killing about 50 harpies or so

    1 min 15 sec per kill is not a little low?
    Btw i was lucky and got mine in 20/30 kills.

  • Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Maybe i got Abaddon's luck, but i don't recall killing more than a small groups worth of the three for the first spear mastery point

    To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

  • @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    I get most of my stuff on accident. I wade into an area and kill everything in sight. Every once in a while I hit an achievement goal yay me and go on to the next victim.

    I'd suggest this is great advice, especially in new areas: Kill everything, don't skip mobs. I found all that I needed well before I ever found, Dehvad. I yend to just explore the map in a logical fashion (e.g. Talking scouts when they're seen and following their advice). It seems that's how development has designed the maps to be explored in the first instance because it works exceptionally well: Things - like the collection subject in this thread - just seem to look after themselves.

  • That feather, I spend almost 1 hour with my Thief farming it but it doesn't drop. But when i change to my Revenant it drop on the very first mob. Maybe it's because my Revenant is the one talk to the npc first, or maybe just bad rng

  • ImTasty.2163ImTasty.2163 Member ✭✭✭

    I suggest trying to kill some harpies around Springer's Ladder PoI. Got mine on the first kill. I'm not sure how much DR affects you in PoF and I think the drop is random so if you get hit by DR you probably so t get it by farming the same ones over and over.

  • Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Does charisma have anything to do with who talks to you and their response?
    If so, some consumables will help temporarily.

    "That's what" -- She

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    Does charisma have anything to do with who talks to you and their response?
    If so, some consumables will help temporarily.

    I'm not sure what this has to do with killing harpies for a drop.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I was replying to a previous post (without quoting it) about talking scouts and randomly gaining achievement goals.> @RoseofGilead.8907 said:

    @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    Does charisma have anything to do with who talks to you and their response?
    If so, some consumables will help temporarily.

    I'm not sure what this has to do with killing harpies for a drop.

    I was replying to a previous post (without quoting it) about talking scouts and randomly gaining achievement goals.
    If charisma doesn't change how an NPC reacts to you, what is its value in the game?

    "That's what" -- She

  • Zaltys.7649Zaltys.7649 Member ✭✭✭

    Yeah, sounds like normal RNG. If it's something like 1%, you might get it on first kill... or not get it within thousand.

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    I was replying to a previous post (without quoting it) about talking scouts and randomly gaining achievement goals.> @RoseofGilead.8907 said:

    @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    Does charisma have anything to do with who talks to you and their response?
    If so, some consumables will help temporarily.

    I'm not sure what this has to do with killing harpies for a drop.

    I was replying to a previous post (without quoting it) about talking scouts and randomly gaining achievement goals.
    If charisma doesn't change how an NPC reacts to you, what is its value in the game?

    Charisma is just a holdover from the old personality system. It used to kind of mean something (gave you different dialogue options with certain NPCs), but they basically have abandoned it.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • @Shirlias.8104 said:

    @Wolf Fivousix.4319 said:
    Just spent a good hour killing about 50 harpies or so

    1 min 15 sec per kill is not a little low?
    Btw i was lucky and got mine in 20/30 kills.

    Definitely! I did not count the harpies themselves, so that was a rough estimate.

    I could swear I posted in here, but doesn't seem like. SO just for posteriority, I did drop the Feather the next day. As I mentioned, I think the item IS affected by DR, so killing harpies (or any of the other quest mobs, for that matter) over a long period of time is not a good idea. For more in depth info on DR check the wiki.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.