Getting a bit sick of being auto-signed out.

Can we please have the inactivity timer set to a more reasonable time frame? Why even sign people out at all? It seems like I go over to the wiki to check something, then GW2Tools for 2 mins, come back to the forum to post and get auto-signed out - all the time. It's frustrating as hell to have all the tabs with topics you had open to read and post to all disappear.

The timer is set to 30 minutes. Problem is, if you have multiple tabs open and leave one inactive, they're all going to be logged out.

Got an ad-blocker? Simply block the following script:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/plugins/AutoSignout/js/autosignout.js

@Artemis Thuras.8795 said:auto-logout is definitely in the realm of inconvenient.. if it can't be done by session ( so only signs out on browser close) then at least set it to a few hours..

The idea behind auto logout is that you forgot you left your browser open in a public place, where someone else may access your account.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:Can we please have the inactivity timer set to a more reasonable time frame? Why even sign people out at all? It seems like I go over to the wiki to check something, then GW2Tools for 2 mins, come back to the forum to post and get auto-signed out - all the time. It's frustrating as kitten to have all the tabs with topics you had open to read and post to all disappear.

Your opened windows shouldn't change to begin with. What's the point? It's so annoying if you love to have multiple windows open...

@Esplen.3940 said:I keep getting auto signed out while in the middle of making posts. Suddenly the auto-draft save pops up with a nice error because I got signed out while typing.

To be fair, maybe I shouldn't be writing essays in this forum...

Something I learned from the other forum losing my posts when I submitted them was to have Notepad open, write the post in that, then cut and paste it so if it disappears after you click "Post Comment" or chooses that moment to make you sign in again, you don't lose the post.

@Lonami.2987 said:

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:Can we please have the inactivity timer set to a more reasonable time frame? Why even sign people out at all? It seems like I go over to the wiki to check something, then GW2Tools for 2 mins, come back to the forum to post and get auto-signed out - all the time. It's frustrating as kitten to have all the tabs with topics you had open to read and post to all disappear.

Your opened windows shouldn't change to begin with. What's the point? It's so annoying if you love to have multiple windows open...

Not exactly sure what you are getting at here.

I like to browse multiple sub-forums and open the topics I am interested in, then go through them one by one, so yes, getting signed out because one I opened a while back hasn't been touched yet is a touch perturbing.

@Healix.5819 said:The timer is set to 30 minutes. Problem is, if you have multiple tabs open and leave one inactive, they're all going to be logged out.

Got an ad-blocker? Simply block the following script:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/plugins/AutoSignout/js/autosignout.js

@Artemis Thuras.8795 said:auto-logout is definitely in the realm of inconvenient.. if it can't be done by session ( so only signs out on browser close) then at least set it to a few hours..

The idea behind auto logout is that you forgot you left your browser open in a public place, where someone else may access your account.

Is the 30 minutes for the new forums, because on the old ones I would only get auto-logged out after 24 hours, whether I was looking at them or not.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:For those that have a private computer I do believe there is an option to remain signed in. I logged in when these forums first came online and I have stayed logged in ever since.

Could you point me to where this option is? I've looked through the forum settings and not found it. I'm getting really tired of getting auto-signed out on my home computer too, especially since I often leave the forums open while I'm gaming.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Is the 30 minutes for the new forums, because on the old ones I would only get auto-logged out after 24 hours, whether I was looking at them or not.

The old forums logged you out when your session expired, which was set to a 24 hour duration. These forums will also do that, however long they've set it to last. These forums however also have a script running in the background where if you don't move the mouse or press a button or whatever, it'll show a 30 second warning after 30 minutes that will automatically redirect you to a logout page. Open two tabs, ignore one for 30 minutes and you'll find yourself logged out in both.

@Healix.5819 said:

The old forums logged you out when your session expired, which was set to a 24 hour duration. These forums will also do that, however long they've set it to last. These forums however also have a script running in the background where if you don't move the mouse or press a button or whatever, it'll show a 30 second warning after 30 minutes that will automatically redirect you to a logout page. Open two tabs, ignore one for 30 minutes and you'll find yourself logged out in both.

The autosignout.js block works :) tyvm

I personally don't even see a reason to constantly get thrown out. I'm using lots of sites from time to time every day and every week - some with 10 minutes break, some with 1 hour break, some with a few days break, but I always keep them opened and so far Guild Wars 2 forums is the only resource that CANNOT keep me signed in all the time and tbh I don't know what was the reason behind this questionable implementation.

Here is a simple case I have already encountered a few times: I found some interesting topic I want to read or maybe even comment on, but I have to attend something else first, so I leave it opened for later. When I come back later all I see is that I'm logged out due to session expiration. At this point I might not even remember what exactly I wanted to check there and I will probably never find it out.

Here is another case: I used to keep the "Game Release Notes" subforum always opened so I can quickly read any new patch notes coming in, but now I have to constantly go through relogin and navigation to reach it.

Here is one more case to finish it off: I had a guild advertisment hanging on the old version of "Looking For Guild" forum and I also kept it open at all times, so I can refresh it and see if I got any responses. Obviously I would usually only check it once or twice per day. I don't really need to explain how painful it would be now.

At this point I'm so frustrated that I don't even want to use these new shiny forums (even though I like most of other changes) until this auto-sign-off get fixed or even better - completely removed. Let's be honest - its 2017 already, users want to be lazy, users want to be spoiled BUT users surely DON'T want to perform same actions over and over whenever they visit some site just to be able to use it properly.

The timeout script is ridiculously defective and should just be disabled until it is fixed.Any activity, like writing a post, should keep you signed in. For goodness sake its constantly syncing drafts but it can't tell i'm still writing? I'm fairly certain my last activity isn't even getting updated because no matter what I am doing I still get timed out.Its also a bad sign when you have a timeout and it can be disabled by just blocking a single js file rendering it pointless.

Perhaps they should add an option of "Keep logged in." I do understand the security issue though because this forum account is tied directly to your main account for the game. So even though it's annoying. I'd rather have my account secure and just sign in. Although I think an optional "Keep Logged In" button in the preferences would be the best option.

Today I have not been signed out at all until this evening, in fact when I started my computer this afternoon and clicked this tab I was still signed in. I left my computer idle while I ate dinner and upon my return found myself timed out. So something inconsistent is happening given that on day one of the new forums I was getting constant timeouts, on day two they weren't a problem, and today it took over 30 minutes and a computer idle mode to do it.

One factor may be that I had the original forums open and logged in for reference on day one, and once they went to read only I left them in Guest status.

@Healix.5819 said:The timer is set to 30 minutes. Problem is, if you have multiple tabs open and leave one inactive, they're all going to be logged out.

I got myself the NoScript Add-on for Firefox and it prevents the auto-log out. Thumbs up! Cheers for this!

Archived