Ranger : 12/03/2019—Skills and Balance Update

Krispera.5087

Ranger

We're reducing the recharge on Allies' Aid in PvE only since we feel it is sufficiently powerful in competitive modes already.

• Soften the Fall: Fall damage functionality has been removed from this trait. This trait has been renamed Child of Earth.
  • Allies' Aid: This trait no longer increases revival speed. This trait's cooldown has been reduced from 85 seconds to 60 seconds in PvE only. Fixed a bug that caused the version of "Search and Rescue!" associated with this trait to be considered a shout skill instead of a command.
  • Crippling Talon: Fixed a visual bug.

Allies' Aid is sufficiently powerful in competitive modes already !? Who is that lone Druid playing sPvP ? Is there something I'm missing ? Even if it was changed to 60 seconds in PvP, it wouldn't make a difference because Druid is not competitive anymore. When the spec was competitive, it was barely used. Even less now since the Shout nerf/change to Command.

Why bother for PvE when none of the Druid meta builds use Allies' Aid or ''Search and Rescue!'' trait ?

Questionable at best. Also, Splitblade still remains un-splitted.

Next balance patch actually brings nothing to the Ranger. As you can see they give lots of change to their lovechild Guardian, which is not loaded enough.

Thank you so much for this thread. I agree with every one of your points.

I legit think that no one on the balance team wants to even think about rangers. Balance updates rarely happen, but when they do its like rangers don’t even exist. Usually some irrelevant thing gets changed/nerfed so that they can write something in the section. Like i’m pretty sure they’re doing everything they can to make sure that ranger’s shouts are commands for some reason. Does anyone even care?

I feel like rangers have been neglected for the longest time, but it keeps on getting dismissed. Is there any way to make the balance team care about rangers?

You are using Allies' Aid to make a statement about Druid's viability, but the problems with Druid have nothing to do with Allies' Aid. I agree with ANet on this: the trait is sufficiently powerful already, gives an absolutely respectable amount of rez power, and does not need a buff. Druid is riddled with problems, but its lack of viability is absolutely no reason to buff a trait like this. The trait is great as-is if people decide to fit Nature Magic into their builds and are playing in a group, regardless of e-spec.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:From a PvP perspective, the Allies Aid nerf is very unjustified.

What nerf?They fixed a bug and buffed the PvE version nothing more.Search and rescue is a command for a while now and the non intended behaviour was just an oversight. And for the two rune interactions it provides I wouldn't call it really an important change.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:From a PvP perspective, the Allies Aid nerf is very unjustified.

What nerf?They fixed a bug and buffed the PvE version nothing more.Search and rescue is a command for a while now and the non intended behaviour was just an oversight. And for the two rune interactions it provides I wouldn't call it really an important change.

They removed the rezz speed bonus right?

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

They removed the rezz speed bonus right?

Oh yeah I oversaw that.Probably it's due to fairness and consistency because they did that on all revive traits.Personally for its a minor thing.I would honestly like it more if you could trait spirits to revive allies, but spirits need also an update so whatever.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Oh yeah I oversaw that.Probably it's due to fairness and consistency because they did that on all revive traits.Personally for its a minor thing.I would honestly like it more if you could trait spirits to revive allies, but spirits need also an update so whatever.

They promised this: ''Revival traits are also seeing the removal of the 10% revival speed passive effect that we've been slowly phasing out over the last several updates. In exchange, skills that directly revive allies are seeing enhancements.''. However, ranger doesnt get anything in exchange again. Fine that they remove this rezz speed increase on all classes, but why not giving anything in return for ranger? There are so many things that they could replace it with, such as a protection proc or whatever. The ranger pet rezz was already a niche trait. And they didnt touch the Guardians rezz signet, the only truly powerful rezz skill atm.

@Mogwai.4015 said:You are using Allies' Aid to make a statement about Druid's viability, but the problems with Druid have nothing to do with Allies' Aid. I agree with ANet on this: the trait is sufficiently powerful already, gives an absolutely respectable amount of rez power, and does not need a buff. Druid is riddled with problems, but its lack of viability is absolutely no reason to buff a trait like this. The trait is great as-is if people decide to fit Nature Magic into their builds and are playing in a group, regardless of e-spec.

As one of the few useable core ranger support skills that aren't offensive PvE buffs (spotter, spirits), it actually does has something to do with Druid's viability as a support spec. Tempest, Firebrand and the bruiser spec Scrapper (that Anet is completely fine with being superior to druid as a support in PvP/WvW) are complemented by core traits. Simply changing the regen for something better would do it.

Now, I'm not saying that's where they should start if they ever were finally open their eyes on how what a pathetic state druid is in, but I doubt they can load enough support into the staff and the druid traits alone to make it compete - nor should they for the case of balance. Spread it out and make the ranger sacrifice personal sustain. That's when traits like Allies' Aid and Invigorating Bond come in.

For ranger rez it is just not a great adept because that rez is not reliable. Sometimes I prefer to send the pet back to the fight so he can cc an enemy (every mode) or get the agro (PvE). Not to mention the long cd. I guess they will add something else on it later just like they did on other rez stuff.

"With a larger competitive-focused update on the horizon, this update is on the smaller side but still contains several notable systemic changes."

This patch wasn't meant to buff ranger skills that aren't used. It was meant to tone down things over performing. Maybe we will see some true ranger changes with this larger "competitive focused update".

@"Eurantien.4632" said:"With a larger competitive-focused update on the horizon, this update is on the smaller side but still contains several notable systemic changes."

This patch wasn't meant to buff ranger skills that aren't used. It was meant to tone down things over performing. Maybe we will see some true ranger changes with this larger "competitive focused update".

rumour has it that unblockable will be brought back in beastmode

@Ashkew.6584 said:

@"Eurantien.4632" said:"With a larger competitive-focused update on the horizon, this update is on the smaller side but still contains several notable systemic changes."

rumour has it that unblockable will be brought back in beastmode

That absolutely should not happen.