Graphic Engine update possible? Dated graphics especially in core game zone for 2020 - [Merged]

@coso.9173 said:

@"Josiah.2967" said:It is always possible. They are doing it for Blade and Soul. I would easily pay to be on a optimized multicore build.

Not sure B&S was based on really old spaghetti code of it predecessor.

that doesn't make it for GW2 impossible, just more unlikely. Only anet knows if it's worth it, and if it is (for most MMOs is IS at some point) when is it better to do it.Look its not just more unlikely. Again, Blade and Soul is
upgrading
it's engine. Literally, there are tutorials on how to upgrade UE3->UE4. That's not what people keep ranting about for GW2.

This is like looking at Quake III and then looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 and saying "hey that game look better, I want Quake III to have that engine RDR2 have". "Unlikely" doesnt really describe the situation very well, does it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I reply to most threads on the subject of graphic/engine update, they could at the very least upgrade Core/HoT visuals to match PoF,. That not only should be very cheap to do, but it will also save them time from all their future gemstore offerings, as now they have to make sure everything looks correctly on both the old and the new rendering system. Plus most of the work is already completed anyway, most player skins, armor, weapon, mount and dyes are created to look good on both systems anyway (and in many cases they DO LOOK different), which leaves us with the environment details to "upgrade". The game has a lot of environment details to upgrade, but since it will be saving them time from future content they release it's really surprising that there has been no upgrade yet.

Heh just noticed how old this thread is and look at that I already gave the same reply earlier

@uberkingkong.8041 We do have graphic sliders for a reason. And Fortnite and GW2 are completely different games with a different target audience. Having said that, MMOs do not get top of the line graphics for a reason. It would be too much with all the particle effects, when there is 20 people + Mobs in an area.

I do not think we will ever see an engine change. Probably too expansive and time consuming to implement. What I dunno if the current engine could be modified a bit. That would be nice.

@otto.5684 said:@"uberkingkong.8041" We do have graphic sliders for a reason. And Fortnite and GW2 are completely different games with a different target audience. Having said that, MMOs do not get top of the line graphics for a reason. It would be too much with all the particle effects, when there is 20 people + Mobs in an area.

I do not think we will ever see an engine change. Probably too expansive and time consuming to implement. What I dunno if the current engine could be modified a bit. That would be nice.

Graphic sliders wont be enough. You'll be doing what I'm doing in Quake Champions, lowering the resolution as well as already having everything low. It wont look fun anymore. If low settings don't cut it, there goes the resolution.

Fortnite and GW2 are different games. Fortnite is 2017 game and GW2 is 2012 game.This thread is about going to a better graphics engine because all the new and cool games are doing it.Fortnite doing it? It's one of the new and cool games giving you reason to discuss GW2 to do it too.

Don't go calling apple and oranges when the thread is already apple and oranges.I mentioned World of Warcraft too, which is still #1 MMORPG. You don't see it using Unreal 4." Probably too expansive and time consuming to implement. What I dunno if the current engine could be modified a bit. That would be nice."World of Warcraft can afford expansive and time consuming, but it doesn't implement. It knows it would not be nice. It would be opposite. Millions of players cannot play World of Warcraft due to it requiring too much CPU.

Just because you have a great computer, doesn't mean you know what its like on lesser computers. "just turn it to low", well low aint low enough. I have to play in 800x600 and adjust other stuff down as well, making it look unreadable due to blurry. Thanks for raising the graphics on us says the 495 other guildies, says the hundreds of thousands other players. Think I'll play World of Warcraft, I know my computer can run it fine. Is what they'll be saying.

Time and resources? Money too?World of Warcraft says we #1, graphics isn't everything. Its the quality. Not the pixel quality. Quality of the image itself. Is it an attractive person in it?1000px of an attractive thing is better to look at then 6000px of unattractive.

Your machine can't handle 6000px too? The image looks worse now doesn't it."theres a slider for that"yeah ok

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Josiah.2967" said:It is always possible. They are doing it for Blade and Soul. I would easily pay to be on a optimized multicore build.

Not sure B&S was based on really old spaghetti code of it predecessor.

that doesn't make it for GW2 impossible, just more unlikely. Only anet knows if it's worth it, and if it is (for most MMOs is IS at some point) when is it better to do it.Look its not just more unlikely. Again, Blade and Soul is
upgrading
it's engine. Literally, there are tutorials on how to upgrade UE3->UE4. That's not what people keep ranting about for GW2.

This is like looking at Quake III and then looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 and saying "hey that game look better, I want Quake III to have that engine RDR2 have". "Unlikely" doesnt really describe the situation very well, does it?

It does. Very few things are actually impossible in programming. Most times it's just hard to do it. Even changing the whole engine IS an option after all, however unlikely.Do remember they improved the engine from gw1 to gw2 though. And it was again improved for newer maps, specifically lights and shadows. So it CAN be done. The issue is if it's worth it or not.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@otto.5684 said:@uberkingkong.8041 We do have graphic sliders for a reason. And Fortnite and GW2 are completely different games with a different target audience. Having said that, MMOs do not get top of the line graphics for a reason. It would be too much with all the particle effects, when there is 20 people + Mobs in an area.

Graphic sliders wont be enough. You'll be doing what I'm doing in Quake Champions, lowering the resolution as well as already having everything low. It wont look fun anymore. If low settings don't cut it, there goes the resolution.

Fortnite and GW2 are different games. Fortnite is 2017 game and GW2 is 2012 game.This thread is about going to a better graphics engine because all the new and cool games are doing it.Fortnite doing it? It's one of the new and cool games giving you reason to discuss GW2 to do it too.

Don't go calling apple and oranges when the thread is already apple and oranges.I mentioned World of Warcraft too, which is still #1 MMORPG. You don't see it using Unreal 4.
" Probably too expansive and time consuming to implement. What I dunno if the current engine could be modified a bit. That would be nice."
World of Warcraft can afford expansive and time consuming, but it doesn't implement. It knows it would not be nice. It would be opposite. Millions of players cannot play World of Warcraft due to it requiring too much CPU.

Just because you have a great computer, doesn't mean you know what its like on lesser computers. "just turn it to low", well low aint low enough. I have to play in 800x600 and adjust other stuff down as well, making it look unreadable due to blurry. Thanks for raising the graphics on us says the 495 other guildies, says the hundreds of thousands other players. Think I'll play World of Warcraft, I know my computer can run it fine. Is what they'll be saying.

Time and resources? Money too?World of Warcraft says we #1, graphics isn't everything. Its the quality. Not the pixel quality. Quality of the image itself. Is it an attractive person in it?1000px of an attractive thing is better to look at then 6000px of unattractive.

Your machine can't handle 6000px too? The image looks worse now doesn't it."theres a slider for that"yeah ok

Ya... but that does not mean we cannot improve the graphics. You know, just cuz something has Low PC usability requirement that does not mean it should used. There is a reason why we do not use 90s graphics, even though the performance for that will be kick ass even on 15 year old PCs.

Things change. If the graphic engine can support more, Anet could improve graphics a bit. If not, well, GW3 it is.

@otto.5684 said:

@otto.5684 said:@uberkingkong.8041 We do have graphic sliders for a reason. And Fortnite and GW2 are completely different games with a different target audience. Having said that, MMOs do not get top of the line graphics for a reason. It would be too much with all the particle effects, when there is 20 people + Mobs in an area.

Don't go calling apple and oranges when the thread is already apple and oranges.I mentioned World of Warcraft too, which is still #1 MMORPG. You don't see it using Unreal 4.
" Probably too expansive and time consuming to implement. What I dunno if the current engine could be modified a bit. That would be nice."
World of Warcraft can afford expansive and time consuming, but it doesn't implement. It knows it would not be nice. It would be opposite. Millions of players cannot play World of Warcraft due to it requiring too much CPU.

Ya... but that does not mean we cannot improve the graphics. You know, just cuz something has Low PC usability requirement that does not mean it should used. There is a reason why we do not use 90s graphics, even though the performance for that will be kick kitten even on 15 year old PCs.

Things change. If the graphic engine can support more, Anet could improve graphics a bit. If not, well, GW3 it is.

If we get to choose between classic GW2 and the new graphics I'd be down with that.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:Careful what you wish for.Better graphics means, your computer needs to be up to date as well. Does all 495 people in your guild have good computer?

Look at these two games, Quake Champions and Diabotical, Quake Champions is 2016 game, it has better graphics than Diabotical 2020 not yet released game. People are going to be playing Diabotical because its easier to run on pc, doesn't require hi end CPU.

Look at these popular games right now.FortniteDiaboticalApex LegendsWorld of Warcraft

Do these popular games use Unreal 4 Engine? Do they have amazing graphics?

It's not much about how crystal clear the graphics is, its how good the artwork is with whatever you have available. Are they making the skins you really want, or they just making stuff you don't even consider part of your wardrobe?You can have amazing graphics game, but if they don't have the right cloths, right weapons, right armor, appearance, etc. Its not that amazing anymore compared to an older game now is it?

Think of it like this, you have two choices to follow someone on instagram, someone who is attractive and dresses well and all the images are in 1080px. Vs someone decent attractive decent well dressed, but all the pictures are in 6000px.Everybody going to follow the person with 1080 pictures because better quality. Not the image pixel quality but the image itself quality.btwRight now, having a 1TB SSD, 4.0 or higher quad core CPU, 4GB GDDR5 or higher and 32GB RAM, isnt cheap. If it isnt cheap or not too expensive that's when you should make a game better graphics wise because people have it or can upgrade to it easily. Only time this wouldn't be the case is in a Single Player game or maybe a First Person shooter.In an MMORPG, you maybe able to handle new graphics update, but you didn't consider the other hundred thousand player base.

They all have one thing in common. They run a hell of a lot better on my computer than Guild Wars 2.

Talked about this a while ago but now with Steam coming and there will be more new players, it is gonna be even more useful to give a little bit visual lifting to the starting maps. Make the first mission visually even more awesome! (It’s already good but make it 2020 standard)

For example make the first boss Fight more interesting with cooler visuals.

Add more eye candy to the starter maps, better poly models, nicer atmosphere, nicer textures etc.

Give more guides for the level 1-10 before the personal story starts.

Those things shouldn’t take too much work but can give a better first impression for new players, which is important for them to decide if they want to continue playing the game.

The graphics are fine for what this game is. Play some older and yet still popular RPG titles to see how good we have it. My 'old'(5 years) GTX 960 gives me plenty of FPS to play any mode of this game. The fans rarely turn on.

Seems like another topic to rationalize over-spending on a super video card.

LOTRO (a game from 2007) added a lot of nice looking grass/flowers/bushes with nice "wind movement"/physics, to the whole world that helps cover ugly dated looking ground textures. And .. it did wonders.I really feel like that is one of the best things you can do to make an old MMO look more up-to-date, but Guild Wars 2 grass doesn't look to great to begin with, and it probably wouldn't help on the already bad performance, but would help if you could just toggle it on/off in graphic settings.