Request related to new thief elite spec

Senkaga Yanze.7896

@Faolon.9702 said:

@"alchemyst.2165" said:I don't understand why people would want GS thief. It doesn't fit thematically at all. Just because one GS skin looks like a katana doesn't mean all greatswords would fit.

The "Samurai" aesthetic is better fit for warrior who already has greatsword. The "Ninja" aesthetic is given through daredevil.

Offhand sword, torch, or even longbow would fit better. None of this anime giant sword-wielding rogue nonsense.

They want to be an anime character.

Exactly... actually I'd go even further. I'd like the next elite specialization to allow thief to equip 2 greatswords together and create clones of themselves while throwing around ninja stars. They should work like a mirage and scourge hybrid. You create clones, and all clone start spinning and spit tones of ninja stars that reflect projectiles bounce and deal tens of stacks of condi damage around them while you go into stealth and throw 2 greatswords together from 1500 meters and deal huge damage to everyone in their path. Also if someone deals a normally killing blow, the thief uses the substitution technique replacing himself with a training dummy and appearing behind you. The thief should also be able to release the clones and transferring their left health and boons to the original thief. That is my anime story.

@"alchemyst.2165" said:I don't understand why people would want GS thief. It doesn't fit thematically at all. Just because one GS skin looks like a katana doesn't mean all greatswords would fit.

The "Samurai" aesthetic is better fit for warrior who already has greatsword. The "Ninja" aesthetic is given through daredevil.

Offhand sword, torch, or even longbow would fit better. None of this anime giant sword-wielding rogue nonsense.

my words, my words, totally agree ;)

PS: oh and if you want to see a GS thief concept that isnt an anime clone or unfitting wannabe samurai. go look upon my Raider Concept shameful sidenote ^^That concept shows the gs using thief more like a brutish thug/bandit with martial artistic swift gs moves to have an alternative over Shortbow/Main Hand Dagger Mobility while having an upgraded Initiative System for more fearsome stealth attacks, but in a strongly limitated way that affects your Initiative, so that it doesnt get brainlessly spammed.

A friend of mine brought up an idea a while back, before rifle was even a thought; Greatsword would be a great tank style weapon/spec for the Thief, with blocks and evades through counter attack style game play.

I'd really enjoy GS on my thief, but I believe the dev's may go for dual 1h weapons (i.e. dual axes), to give more game play options with current MH/OH options (axe/dagger, axe/pistol, dagger/axe, etc...) which would also be equally cool in my book.

@"Senkaga Yanze.7896" said:Please give us greasword or axe main hand I think executioner would be a great name for this elite spec. I posted an elite spec idea titled next thief elite specs. This is also a joke cuz I’m a kitten cuz that’s what everyone who reads this and my other post I just renamed this is a joke cuz it’s a wishlist.

What about a hammer based on the dimensional anchor. Basically a bunch of short hard hitting shadowsteps; think Nightcrawler with a oversized bludgeon.

@Slugonaut.9841 said:How does GS not make sense? It would make total sense if they approached it from a Samurai perspective. Now I'm not saying I want GS on thief but it could totally work. Samurai GS would also thematically fit with Staff as well.

Id prefer Axe/Mace/OH Sword before anything else though. Since the last two weapons we've gotten have been 2 handers, I would expect a 1 hand weapon for the next elite spec.

A greatsword and a katana is not the same thing. A katana is japanese and single edged, has a curved blade and is much shorter than a greatsword. It's used in either one or two hands (to support mounted combat). While the greatsword was developed during the renaissanse in europe, was double edged and measured commonly as tall as the user. (1.6-1.8m) big and heavy!

Sorry if I come off as sour ;)

No nonsensical unfitting greatswords, no unfitting shields, no unfitting warhorns, no unfitting hammers, no unfitting axes, no unfitting polearms/scythes and such crap.

Classes in GW2 should use only weapons, which fit to the theme of the class, are historically correct and fit to the role of a class while filling up gameplay gaps of the Thief, which aren#t covered yet by any of the existign weapons.

Actually axes are realisticly more likely for a cheap thief than a sword due to the cost of a sword compared to axes. One could argue that the thief stole a sword though.

@Orpheal.8263 said:

@"Slugonaut.9841" said:How does GS not make sense? It would make total sense if they approached it from a Samurai perspective. Now I'm not saying I want GS on thief but it could totally work. Samurai GS would also thematically fit with Staff as well.

Id prefer Axe/Mace/OH Sword before anything else though. Since the last two weapons we've gotten have been 2 handers, I would expect a 1 hand weapon for the next elite spec.

Before you talk about Samurais, I suggest you to educate yourself first what exactly Samurais are, because if you would know what Samurais are, then you'd clearly realize, why exactly they make for Thieves absolutely NO sense at all.But I will make it easy for you and tell you the reasons, why Samurais make no sense:

1.) Samurais are WARRIORS/ GUARDIANS (if basically translated by word directly from Servant/Protector what Samurai means directly) , no Thieves, which are led by a Shōgun, which comes close as rank of a military "commander" of the Samurai.2.) Samurai is a real world term that has no meaning to the lore of Tyria, because it has to do with asian/japanese culture, Tyria is not Asia/Japan!!3.) Thieves are POOR, Samurais in the real word were of aristocratic status!!! They were simply said noble warriors/soldiers. If there ever would have come out, that among the Samurais is a poor thief that steals from others, they would throw that person instantly out, or just kill that person for putting dirt on the name of the Samurai and their codex of honor, for that is one o the highest honors to protect their land, their emperor and its folks people, not to steal from them....4.) Thieves are no Soldiers, they are Adventurers, so Samurais make for our Class Type no sense at all, they make in fact more Sense for Warriors, if ANet would eventually come to the idea to add Katanas ever as a new Weapon Type for a Samurai-like Warrior-Elite Spec5.) Samurais are praktically only MEN, in the culture of Samurai exist nearly no females, they were forbidden to become Samurai, because it its against the Codex of Honor of Samurai to have women among them. There have been exeptions yes, but they were absolutely not the rule.6.) If theres a Weapon for Thieves as "Samurai", that fits better, then in fact the Longbow, not the big bulky western Greatswords, cause Samurai were well known for their skills (Kyuudo) with the Longbow, they were very skilled and feared mounted archers in battles using their long/big Yumi Bows (Dai Kyuu) while riding on their horses into the battles, having from horseback naturayl a better position to perform killing shots either into the heads or hearts of their enemies. However, points 1-5 make this point moot, Warriors have already longbows in GW2, Guardians also too, and Anet didnt use the chance with that Weapon for Samurais, they gave us instead the crap that is called Dragon Hunter ...7.) Samurais are based on family clans.. this kind of inner political structure doesn't exist for Classes in the game at all.Do I have to continue?

I guess this alone shows more than enough, why Samurais as class make no sense and only because other games like FF14 have Samurais, doesn't mean that GW2 must have them too, especially not as part of a Class where they make absolutel no sense.If done as some kind of Warrior/Guardian- E Spec it would make at least sense, but Anet didn't make usage of that potential and I'm pretty sure, that they had their reasons for this decision to give neither the Warrior nor the Guardian a fitting Samurai-Spec yet.The only chance that is left for those 2 classes is like said, if ANet would decide to add Katanas as a new Weapon Type and make actually the only one single greatsword skin that looks like a katana actually really a katana in the game... with its own animations, own skills ect. that are different of the big bulky western greatswords and would fit better to a martial artistic Samurai Warrior...

Thieves are the successors to the assassin class from GW so I would back you in your assertion that Thieves should not be samurai but that is about where we will have to agree to disagree. As we can see with many of the weapon skins in the game, not all Greatswords are bulky and cumbersome, they simply require two hands to wield. In such a case the most common and expected weapon for a ninja/assassin would be the katana which was a two handed weapon primarily.

We can also see from Factions (GW1) that Anet has pulled extensively from the far east for it's cultural inspiration which makes the same subject matter fair game for those of us dreaming of being a thief (or otherwise named elite spec) and wielding a greatsword. There are sadly few culturally accurate styles that exist within the game, but there are a few that would allow those aiming for that type of accuracy. For those who want to go anime style there are plenty of options there as well.

As for how such an elite spec could be tooled, I would personally like to see it hearken back to the old assassin class from GW1 that utilized skill chains, where you have an opening strike, offhand strike, etc. It would be cool to have a GS wielding elite spec that makes use of counters and position at the expense of some mobility sort of like the opposite of a Daredevil. With the existing skills available from non elite specs, it wouldn't take much to create a Ninja elite spec that made use of a GS and pull from real life to create some counter play. Even in GW lore, the forebears of the thief class functioned very similarly to how ninja would operate. Even the thief skill that summons additional thief allies to aid you has them attired as ninja instead of bandits or rogues, so it definitely seems to fit with the dev's mindset as well.

No more two handed weapons. We have SB, Rifle, Staff. This basically half our pool of weapons. I think we get far more out of a single weapon as far as diveristy goes aas it will modify a multitude of builds that currently exist and grow stale.

As in mace MH or off we get s/m , p/m , d/m , m/m ,m/p ,m/d . Just on the Dual wield #3 skills there 6 which is more then a GS allows in skills with all 5 slots.

Even if it just off hand we change the dynamics of what pairs with pistol, dagger and sword. I think this leads to more variety in builds overall.

@"DeceiverX.8361" said:I just don't see how GS fits at all. It just seems like some kind of anime nonsense.

Mace/Axe and Longbow are much more likely and make a lot more sense to be honest.

I designed a fully fleshed out e-spec around gs earlier on. I don't want to take too much of your time, but if you have any to spare I would absolutely love if you would have a look and offer some feedback and criticism on it!

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/34762/support-formal-thief-e-spec-recommendation-the-shadow-consort#latest

@"Alatar.7364" said:I agree with getting the Greatsword.I know it sounds just as boring and predictable as Rifle did, but... greatsword, I demand it! =DCan't even imagine how cool a Thief with GS would be.

Assassin elite specialization would match greatsword perfectly if we go Cantha next. The new mechanic could be kits (with martial arts weapons, like nunchakus and claws), and stances for the new slot skills. More about that idea here.

• 2 years later...

@Dangus.6572 said:Great Sword offhand :)

i like your madnass bro:Dwhat about wielding greatsword as main and offhand?a dual gs wielder!.. i would play that no matter the class <3or or orjust make it 3 gs fake roronoa zoro!orororororlets make it 4, thieves got an ass too you know >:Ojokes aside, simply how many gs, that much playtime for me(bucks incoming anet, yummy)at the very start, its a game that we call GREATsword to two-handed swords, right >x)

it would be either axe or longbow if you ask me, both fit thief nature really well. greatsword might sound cool but that means we might get something similar to daredevil, dev wouldn't want that also, new off-handed weapon means spam more dagger and sword 1 which is really dull and boring. other possibilities would be they bring off-handed weapon to main hand but still axe sound cool and reasonable for thief weapon.