Discussion: Command Line Option Changes [Merged]

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I'm really sorry that some of you are unhappy with this change. I'd like to reiterate that the decision was based solely on our concerns for player security. Theories about alternative motivations for the change are completely baseless.

I notice at least one person state that those who used the system were fully aware it was an "at your own risk" situation, and that every user would be aware of any security risks that they were taking on. I have to dispute that. I don't believe that everyone knew of the risks, nor that every single user willingly accepted them. It would be provably inaccurate to state, "I knew it was risky, therefore every other user knew that, too."

As stated here, we have no objections to players using multiple accounts, when that use follows the proscribed limitations. The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Would a better security measure not have been to add an account-switching feature to the launcher? Say, a drop down box to select the account and have the encrypted credentials stored by the launcher itself? If the removal is actually to prevent people with access to the user's computer from being able to log in to the user's account, you should remove the Save email address and Save password check boxes, no?

If you're going to remove a feature that so many players use, why not replace it with a stronger feature that serves both security and usability?

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Shikigami.4013 said:The inconvenience will be countered by people giving all their accounts the same password so they never have to change it anymore when logging into different accounts.This does not improve security.

IIRC the password system will not allow that. You can't use any password than anyone has ever used before either in GW2 or any of the compromised password databases.

It does. I just did it.

Sorry guys, this is BS. The passwords were secure because they were stored on MY computer, which itself is password protected, and behind a firewall.

Please revert this change, or add a feature for people to manage the multiple accounts that they paid good money for.

restore. like cmon, im using it since friggin gw1. and now, after all these years, it isnt secure enough. but hey, istn there 2factorauthentication. i remeber getting an mini-dragon for it.

/e just logged in. dont do that often because the forom sucks. second post here. thats how serious i am.

@Vegeta.2563 said:

@mtpelion.4562 said:May I recommend that you folks obtain a password management tool like KeePass to store your credentials? It will allow you to have insanely complex passwords that do not need to be remembered because it will type your username and password into the login fields for you when you are ready to switch accounts.

I use something like this, but the problem is copying and pasting for each account, when with LB you could just click multiple accounts and hit launch instead.

The one I use has a function where I can right click on the entry and it will then put the username and password into the fields for me, so you don't have to manually copy and paste them separately.

Is that what Keepass does? or do you use something else entirely?

Yes, I can do that with KeePass.

1. Open the program/browser I want to log into
  2. Right click on the KeePass entry for the account I want to log in as and select "auto-type"
  3. Watch as KeePass enters my username and password and logs me in

The only hiccup is when people either use a 2 stage username/password setup, or insert things between the username and password fields in the tab order, but that's not a fault of KeePass but of the inconsiderate incompetents who don't know how to design a proper UI and KeePass does have some options to help you get around those (similar to coding a macro just for that program/site to ensure that your data is being transferred properly).

@mtpelion.4562 said:

@mtpelion.4562 said:May I recommend that you folks obtain a password management tool like KeePass to store your credentials? It will allow you to have insanely complex passwords that do not need to be remembered because it will type your username and password into the login fields for you when you are ready to switch accounts.

I use something like this, but the problem is copying and pasting for each account, when with LB you could just click multiple accounts and hit launch instead.

The one I use has a function where I can right click on the entry and it will then put the username and password into the fields for me, so you don't have to manually copy and paste them separately.

2. Right click on the KeePass entry for the account I want to log in as and select "auto-type"

The only hiccup is when people either use a 2 stage username/password setup, or insert things between the username and password fields in the tab order, but that's not a fault of KeePass but of the inconsiderate incompetents who don't know how to design a proper UI and KeePass does have some options to help you get around those (similar to coding a macro just for that program/site to ensure that your data is being transferred properly).

The problem is.. you can't right click on the gw2 launcher :(

This was a poor decision on behalf of the dev team. Every single instruction on how to set this up clearly informs the player that their passwords and account info are stored on the local computer. If a player is compromised through having these shortcuts, it's on their shoulders. All this does is inconvenience long term players with multiple accounts who know a thing or two about security. Please revert ASAP.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I'm really sorry that some of you are unhappy with this change. I'd like to reiterate that the decision was based solely on our concerns for player security. Theories about alternative motivations for the change are completely baseless.

I notice at least one person state that those who used the system were fully aware it was an "at your own risk" situation, and that every user would be aware of any security risks that they were taking on. I have to dispute that. I don't believe that everyone knew of the risks, nor that every single user willingly accepted them. It would be provably inaccurate to state, "I knew it was risky, therefore every other user knew that, too."

As stated here, we have no objections to players using multiple accounts, when that use follows the proscribed limitations. The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

I went from pure excitement at the festival to utter heart wrenching devastation and morbid depression as I watched all my hard work and entire play-style, enjoyment, and investment ripped from my hands and crumbled in-front of my face.

I have no words for the insurmountable grief I feel right now at the loss of multi-boxing. What a way to swindle me out of my money, time, and emotional attachment... I don't even want to log in, anymore. I can't believe this.... That isn't even addressing the inherent ableism in removing the only accessibility option I had for managing logins as a disabled person.

I'm honestly just sick to my stomach and in disbelief. It's like having a piece of my soul torn out and I don't know how to move forward because I can no longer carry on with my daily life and schedule the way I have been... I literally cannot justify giving you more money until you restore my ability to play in the way that is 'normal' to me; with both my accounts at once; or a refund for the money I've poured into my companion account and characters.

I'm just. Utterly shocked with grief........ I don't know how to move forward. I just want to cry. I feel betrayed.

"But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate." Is such an inherently abelist thing to say... and I'm. Flabbergasted.

@"FireCrescent.6512" said:I went from pure excitement at the festival to utter heart wrenching devastation and morbid depression as I watched all my hard work and entire play-style, enjoyment, and investment ripped from my hands and crumbled in-front of my face.

I have no words for the insurmountable grief I feel right now at the loss of multi-boxing. What a way to swindle me out of my money, time, and emotional attachment... I don't even want to log in, anymore. I can't believe this.... That isn't even addressing the inherent ableism in removing the only accessibility option I had for managing logins as a disabled person.

I'm honestly just sick to my stomach and in disbelief. It's like having a piece of my soul torn out and I don't know how to move forward because I can no longer carry on with my daily life and schedule the way I have been... I literally cannot justify giving you more money until you restore my ability to play in the way that is 'normal' to me; with both my accounts at once; or a refund for the money I've poured into my companion account and characters.

I'm just. Utterly shocked with grief........ I don't know how to move forward. I just want to cry. I feel betrayed.

"But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate." Is such an inherently abelist thing to say... and I'm. Flabbergasted.

Good news! You can still totally multibox; it's just more annoying to do so.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

This make absolutly zero sence since only ppl who do multibox would be affected by the change.... who else would use that??? for what purpose ???

@mtpelion.4562 said:

I tried KeePass and it keeps misstyping my email-adresses. E.g leaving out a letter in the middle of the mail adress and it is always the same one. For some reason this also only happens in Windows 10, used to work fine back when I used Windows 7.The only workaround I found was adding an additional letter at the position KeePass skips every time.

@FireCrescent.6512 said:

@"Greyling.4768" said:

Good news! You can still totally multibox; it's just more annoying to do so.

I do not understand how... I lack the executive function to parse how others are working around it, though my partner is trying.

Are you using Launchbuddy? If so, just uncheck the "Use -autologin" box on the Account Manager window, then hit Launch Guild Wars 2 at the bottom of the screen as many times as it takes to open the number of instances you want. You'll have to log into each of them individually, but they'll all run.

Using the option to remember username and Password is great, but the problem is.. when you get the connection error screen.. it erases the Password field so you have to retype it again each time you see that error, this isn't just an inconvenience, this is a headache.

Guys, it's true that it was a security issue, and that obviously not everyone doing it was aware of the risk (just look at the reddit thread, there is literally a guy saying "had no problem for 4 years, therefore it's 100% safe" ... typical guy knowing nothing about IT security).

That said, if -like me- you have several alt accounts that don't require max security and that you want to start easily, it's still possible to do it. As Gaile said, you can use the "remember password" check. How to work with several accounts ?

• type "%APPDATA%" in the address bar of your file explorer (if you launch your alt account with another windows account, change that in the address bar after). Go to Guild Wars 2 folder. You'll find Local.dat. That's the file where the login+password got saved.
  • Copy it and name the copy "local.dat.account1" (for example)
  • Start gw2 again, this time use and save another account's login+password.
  • Now you have local.dat.account1 with the first account saved, local.dat with the second account saved ... copy this one and name the copy "local.dat.account2"
  • Repeat as many times as needed
  • Create a .bat file that takes an account number as parameter, copies local.dat.accout[number] to local.dat, then starts gw2.exe (with or without runas, depending on what you did before with autologin). I'm not going to post it here, not sure if forum rules allow it. Pretty easy to create.
  • Change all your autologin shortcuts so they just start "yourscript.bat account_number"

Done. It takes some time on the first day, but now it's just as before, except with more security !Well, there is a slight difference, you have to click "login" and "play" buttons. Unfortunately, "-nopatchui" doesn't seem to work anymore, even with credentials saved in local.dat.