Make Rifle a shotgun

Dracomet.3648

Hi

I really wish Anet turns the rifle like the Scrap Rifle in Tangled Depths and make it a full blown shotgun which fits engie better given its clearly somewhat inspired by TF2 Engineer smacking turrets with a wrench and the fact we have blunderbuss.. which is a shotgun…

Move Blunderbuss to Rifle 1, tone it down a bit cause balance or something and make it more a spammable close range AA. Make Rifle 3 fire a rocket or something that you can trait with explosives and work as a power weapon. 

Also pointless flavour thing, since the buff to include damage to the net shot a few years ago, makes more sense to rename this electrified net and put the electric net graphic from the overcharged net turret.

thanks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cool idea, im more like "we need 1500 range rifle", but i'd support a rifle as a midrange shotgun weapon with good spread as well 👍  So rifle could have 450-800 range with another mobility skill maybe. Pistol has to be 1200 range then tho so at least one weapon has ordinary range. And maybe mace will be on 900 range^^

Edited by NeroBoron.7285
  • Like 2

^^ It’s more like a 1200 range pea shooter that occasionally throws nets.

2 hours ago, NeroBoron.7285 said:

Cool idea, im more like "we need 1500 range rifle", but i'd support a rifle as a midrange shotgun weapon with good spread as well 👍  So rifle could have 450-800 range with another mobility skill maybe. Pistol has to be 1200 range then tho so at least one weapon has ordinary range. And maybe mace will be on 900 range^^

I’d like disengage skill as a follow up to jump shot, or maybe overcharged shot which used to launch you back could be made an evade backwards.., but I dont think Anet wants to radically change core weapons… (then again, they did change Rev sword off hand and underwater weapon significantly, so possibility is still there)

But I will happily settle with just changing rifle 1 and 3, and I’d take Rifle as the close/melee core weapon and gun as the ranged condi core engie weapon.

Edited by Dracomet.3648

From a PvP standpoint:

I disagree, we need the range on the auto attack to keep applying pressure when enemies gain distance from us or to harrash them while we get ready to go in. We got soooo much melee ranged dmg going around already and the rifle toolkit leans itself into short/melee ranged already

Limiting it's range to blunderbuss range would just make it worse.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:32 AM, iKeostuKen.2738 said:

No reason it cant be both. Our "swap" should have just been another way to use our weapons effectively.

Rifle could swap to a shotgun. Then back to a rifle.

Pistol could use condition ammo or regular bullets.

Similar to attunements but its just the weapon swap.

That sounds like a neat idea, except it creates the problem of Anet having to create multiple weapon "modes" for all the elite specs on top of that, and I don't think they will be keen on that.

Perhaps it could be an elite spec mechanic one day which sounds more realistic to me than as a core engie mechanic.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:03 AM, The Boz.2038 said:

Yes.
Shotgun. With a clearer "kinda half-and-half strike-condi, but more strike, but not really, eh" purpose, and better numbers.

They did a tiny step towards fixing it recently. Time for another, methink.

100%. Anet has been doing a lot of purity of purpose things with some other specs and classes so it's about time. Rifle is some half-hearted kinda condi but kinda power, kinda ranged, but also kinda close range. Keep rifle as a close ranged power option and pistol as the long range condi option.

Never thought about that before, but theoretically, ANet could give Rifle the Deadeye treatment. Turn #5 into a "styleswap". Not necessarily a kneel, but maybe more a "hip" vs. "shoulder" stance. Hip would be Shotgun and include Blunderbuss while Shoulder would be ranged and include net shot. All power. Would also help Engineer with the lack of a core power melee weapon.

• Like 1

My dream for Engie:
1) Rifle is short range (300-480) poser based Shotgun.
2) Bomb Kit is reworked to long range (1200-1500) power based Rocket Launcher Kit, not ground-target like Mortar.

This second change is very crucial, because it would solve a problem that ALL our Elite spec weapons are melee. This will allow engies to have both power melee and reliable power range weapons at the same time.
It will also help to get rid of stupid Bomb Kit animations.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2021 at 12:08 PM, Bomboed.5697 said:

My dream for Engie:
1) Rifle is short range (300-480) poser based Shotgun.
2) Bomb Kit is reworked to long range (1200-1500) power based Rocket Launcher Kit, not ground-target like Mortar.

This second change is very crucial, because it would solve a problem that ALL our Elite spec weapons are melee. This will allow engies to have both power melee and reliable power range weapons at the same time.
It will also help to get rid of stupid Bomb Kit animations.

I dislike the bomb kit, Mortar Kit and Grenade kit since they're all the same animation but with 5 different colours. I mean yeah they do different things, but I feel like they could be more creative with them like with the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun. Hell remember when Med Kit was literally just five different ways to throw bandages on the floor before they reworked it into something useful and fun to use? These kits needs look at too.

I would personally just merge Big Ol Bomb, Grenade Kit and Throw Mines together into a single kit called Explosives Kit and base that on power damage, change grenade 1 into the rocket/grenade launcher, then create a new kit called Tesla Kit with a Tesla coil gun that shoots electric bolts that confuses and base that on Condition. Or actually maybe a chainsaw kit that bleeds, for some melee condi option to pistol.

I agree we lack a proper range power option.

• Like 2

I would have been in favor of having a shotgun in the previous days, before we got Hammer and Sword as elite weapons. Now we don’t really need for another melee weapons. I actually wished for a bow for EoD elite spec because I think it’d be cool to be able to play from a far. Right now, all our skills and utilities are focused on being as close as our foes as possible.

Still an interesting idea, I’d love Engineer to get another long-range weapon for free (not tied to elite) to compensate :c

On 8/20/2021 at 4:32 AM, iKeostuKen.2738 said:

No reason it cant be both. Our "swap" should have just been another way to use our weapons effectively.
Rifle could swap to a shotgun. Then back to a rifle.
Pistol could use condition ammo or regular bullets.

Omg I love that idea, and wouldn’t be that hard to integrate. I see plenty of possibilities to expend and balance that idea.

8 minutes ago, RedSPINE.7845 said:

Omg I love that idea, and wouldn’t be that hard to integrate. I see plenty of possibilities to expend and balance that idea.

Idea sounded interesting to me at first, but in the end this is just elementalist attunements again. Different weapon spells you can switch between, just with 2 options instead of the 4 which elementalist attunements bring.

8 hours ago, RedSPINE.7845 said:

I would have been in favor of having a shotgun in the previous days, before we got Hammer and Sword as elite weapons. Now we don’t really need for another melee weapons. I actually wished for a bow for EoD elite spec because I think it’d be cool to be able to play from a far. Right now, all our skills and utilities are focused on being as close as our foes as possible.

Still an interesting idea, I’d love Engineer to get another long-range weapon for free (not tied to elite) to compensate :c

At this point, I hope the new mace is a Tesla coil that shoots lightning bolts at 1200 range. Otherwise, yes I would’ve preferred if we got a bow. Engie Rifle no matter how you look is very much meant to be a melee weapon with a peashooter padded on top that you wouldn’t realistically use, because you will want to stay in bomb kit AA to drop exploding poop for far superior damage. Making Rifle the melee power and bomb/explosive/rocket kit the ranged power weapon as suggested earlier solves this poblem.

18 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Idea sounded interesting to me at first, but in the end this is just elementalist attunements again. Different weapon spells you can switch between, just with 2 options instead of the 4 which elementalist attunements bring.

Nah, there’s plenty of room to do something insanely cool and unique with this idea. But again, it’s just a way to go around the fact that our F1-F5 abilities are toolbelt, which is supposed to be our profession mechanic. Weapon modding is a very cool idea, and it could integrate kits as well, merging both ideas and systems. But as is, the toolbelt has been central to engineer’s design for way too long, and we would just end up with 2 profession mechanics, which isn’t good 😕