Dyes locked behind 9 year time gate

Janna.6170

I think locking dyes (all 6 dyes inside Committed Anniversary Achievement Box) behind a 9 year time gate with no other source to obtain them is not funny at all.  I understand something special has to be inside, but those things for me are emotes, finishers, novelties, toys, chairs, ... not dyes ...

Edited by Janna.6170
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Yeah, it was a bad choice, imo. If you don't like the selection, there's nothing interesting for having a 9 year old character. If you like multiple colours, you have to wait years to get them.

This after years of teaching people that each character gets a dye pack only for this one to be once per year so people looking forward to the dyes get to be disappointed when their second character hits 9 years old.

• Like 6

Its fine for other people to have something that you don't. 99% of the dyes in the game are available to anyone and there's more than enough to be creative with them. I say that as something who started this game a few months before PoF and will most likely never see some rewards other players who were there earlier got.

I spent years playing a different MMO as some collect-a-ton and its in no way, shape or form healthy or sustainable. Now i just pick and choose what i want/can get and leave the rest. Feels a lot better this way.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Smaller things like Dyes/Infusions/etc. are probably the place where its the most fair for things to be exclusive. They have 0 gameplay impact and there's so many other ways to customize your characters that most people shouldn't feel left out as much.

Your statement is kind of contradictory though, you struggle with the concept of exclusivity but you'd prefer to skins locked behind it rather than dyes? I personally certainly don't.

14 minutes ago, Deedrick.4372 said:

Why is dyes the line you draw?

Probably because the dyes you got in previous birthday gifts could be gotten in other ways - it was just convenient to wait for the birthday method instead. It's also worth mentioning that new dyes can revitalize old armor pieces which, in a game where cosmetics are king, makes them something that would get a lot of mileage around the game if they were available to more people.

If these dyes were popped into the gem store rotation tomorrow, they'd be more in line with current offerings. They could even bundle them with, say, a collection of swim wear.

As implemented, the birthday gifts were underwhelming for old accounts and taunting for young accounts. Doesn't feel very good for anyone, but releasing the dyes to the broader playerbase would at least make the company a bit of money without making the gifts any worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Janna.6170 said:

I think locking dyes (all 6 dyes inside Committed Anniversary Achievement Box) behind a 9 year time gate with no other source to obtain them is not funny at all.  I understand something special has to be inside, but those things for me are emotes, finishers, novelties, toys, chairs, ... not dyes ...

You can swap dye for anything in the list in bold and the same argument can be made. Its really hard to not read this as "its ok to timegame things as long as its something that I do not want".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just because they used to do it one way, doesn't mean they are in a binding contract to always do it. Those same dyes were not always rotated through BL chest and ended up costing 100's of gold. The bday present was a nice way of getting a expensive dye. Now just wait a few months and the BL chest will drop the price on the dyes to nothing. With a time gate, those dyes have a bit of prestige and meaning.