I enabled Dx11 and now game crashes at start

It's basically in the title: updated, enabled Dx11 beta and now I can't even load the character selection screen: the game instantly crashes...

Is there a way to modify options without loading the character selection screen? Right now it crashes too soon to uncheck the Dx11 option

[edit] Here's the bypass thanks to Healix:

Delete Local.dat - note this will reset your graphics, sound and remembered login. You can find it in the folder:

%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/

(press WindowsKey+R and open the above path, or enter it into the address bar of any folder)

Edited by Eclipsiste.3251
additional informations
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forum Moderator.3074 said:

Are you using arcdps or any kind of add-on?

Nope

4 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

Delete Local.dat - note this will reset your graphics, sound and remembered login. You can find it in the folder:

%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/

(press WindowsKey+R and open the above path, or enter it into the address bar of any folder)

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try

18 minutes ago, Kraken Lungz.5370 said:

My game wont even load. The GW launcher pops up, doesnt download anything and immediately closes

My game won't load either. I started playing Return To by just logging out of my character and back in but the moment I closed the client to actually update it, it won't open again, it looks like it tries to connect to the server and gives up so the downloader doesn't open. 

Edit: I tried deleting the local.dat file and it connected to the server, downloaded a 15MB local.dat file into the folder and proceeded to not open anyway lol

Edited by tamyeh.3741

9 minutes ago, tamyeh.3741 said:

My game won't load either. I started playing Return To by just logging out of my character and back in but the moment I closed the client to actually update it, it won't open again, it looks like it tries to connect to the server and gives up so the downloader doesn't open. 

Edit: I tried deleting the local.dat file and it connected to the server, downloaded a 15MB local.dat file into the folder and proceeded to not open anyway lol

I am having the same issue. I have deleted local.dat file even restarted computer, try to launch game, it does a download screen then nothing. I honestly don't know what else I can do.

1 minute ago, Hexxat.4201 said:

I am having the same issue. I have deleted local.dat file even restarted computer, try to launch game, it does a download screen then nothing. I honestly don't know what else I can do.

I also tried running -dx9 in the file path, as well as -dx11, -repair, -image and -verify
Also tried starting with a clean bin and bin64 folder because I use reshade, none of it helped. 

Just to add this from personal experience: my main account crashes like this, but secondary ones don't and run just fine.

This strongly indicates something on the account / character select screen is the culprit.

System specs: 11900k, 3080, most recent Windows updates, GPU driver (472.12)

I'm also getting an instant crash, though not fully to desktop.

Steps I took:

- install newest NVidia driver for my GeForce RTX 2080 -- driver was released just yesterday.

- open GW2 and log in

- enter game on an existing character

- open Options, click box to enable DX11 beta

- exit game fully

- restart game

- double click on same existing character

And then I got a black screen, with the PoF music playing, and blown-up fuzzy white text with my character info and slot use info and a crash report box.  I filled out the crash report, launched the game again, and it instantly was on that same black screen with the same fuzzy text, music playing, and a new crash report box.  Which I also filled out, then came here.

Snipping Tool snip of the black screen/white text: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/405207401315434496/889933494598369301/DX11Fail.JPG

I will attempt the workarounds listed in this thread.

Edited by Donari.5237
removed white space since this forum auto double spaces