PLEASE Shorten the length of offseason

Cjay.6312

Having a two week offseason is by far the most painful thing you have to endure as a pvp player in this game. Unranked is such a pain fighting against players who are just trying to learn the game and don't have as many hours or experience against billy john here with 20k hours and fair ranked placements. Either shorten the offseason by a week so that the players who enjoy ranked as the main source of pvp content in this game can get back to it, or remove it all together and make 2v2/3v3 AT modes for the people that do actually like them. But having an offseason - especially for this long - is outrageous.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Cjay.6312 said:

Having a two week offseason is by far the most painful thing you have to endure as a pvp player in this game. Unranked is such a pain fighting against players who are just trying to learn the game and don't have as many hours or experience against billy john here with 20k hours and fair ranked placements. Either shorten the offseason by a week so that the players who enjoy ranked as the main source of pvp content in this game can get back to it, or remove it all together and make 2v2/3v3 AT modes for the people that do actually like them. But having an offseason - especially for this long - is outrageous.

I'm not keen on shortening the offseason, but that's probably because I don't mind unranked as much as you do.

I do, however, advocate for eliminating ranked, moving current ranked rewards into unranked, and moving prestige/competitiveness to a full teamQ environment like the 2v2/3v3/AT environment you noted. I'd also like to add that this is in no way an original idea from me, but has been suggested by notable members of the community (@Trevor Boyer.6524 comes to mind as the first person I saw say this, but I'd wager that it's been said by others as well).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I don't know why people in this pvp community think that premade teams are the way to go. Imagine sitting there and forcing actual good players to wait in easy 10m+ queues just to fight against silver tier players. We already do that in ranked and now you're wanting to make it worse for no actual reason. That system is already simulated in ATs with every team getting stomped by whatever plat 3 pug group is formed. There is no competitiveness in the 2v2/3v3 scene. Why do you think every season you have people like me going 98-0 and top 10 is full of insane winrates like that. They aren't competitive, they aren't fun, and aren't worth the time. The only ones who actually enjoy the offseason are the players that unfortunately aren't good enough to enjoy ranked to its fullest extent. Having to not worry about rotations and just zoom in and mash your buttons with no actual thought is why 2v2 is enjoyed. 

Eliminating ranked would quite literally kill the pvp scene more than it already has been. There is no way you could possibly think anyone outside of the gold population would waste their time trying to gain "prestiege/competitive" gameplay from some place outside of a daily automated tournament or a monthly automated tournament. I'd rather get good rewards for slaying soccer moms than to get 30 silver for doing the exact same menial task. The offseason is dog and needs to be shortened or removed. Ranked is the only source of pvp content for players like me who only enjoy pvp in this game. Unranked is a chore fighting bad players that can't even help it because they're just new/trying to get into the game. All we're doing is making it more unfun for them by infesting that mode. Even when we're playing casually, we're still leagues better than them and it doesn't provide anything worth learning or playing for

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

YES YES YES YES YES !!!!
I started to play ranked last month and then it's my first offseason..... I was hyped today to started a new 5v5 season and ........ I'm so disappointed to get into a 2v2 instead of a 5v5.....

I totally agree with @Cjay.6312, ranked is a way more fun than unranked (even if i'm ''only'' silver 3 /gold 1) and I don't want to go back to these, except to play with friends. Many people enjoys 5v5, it's competitive, funny, not much waiting time, you can't do different build type (fight for mid, try to steal far, maybe a tanky build to defend points)...

But I find almost nothing of this in 2v2. Yes, I only did 10 of these, but it tooks like 1-2 mins to find a game which is 3 fights of 15-45 seconds eachs, with 30 seconds between those fights. It means, you have 2 or 3 minutes of waiting for  1 or 2 minutes of ''fighting''. Yeah, I don't really consider that a fight, it's just a competition of the one who have the best CC build / one shot build or better comp. It's sometimes the same in conquest, but you can still try to steal points, fight with numeric superiority (like 2v1). In 2v2s, we can't ! We're in a small area, we can't even try to escape.
Also, Necros seems to be really OP in this. I got 2 necros against me for a NON-match .. Half of the games was just a resign when we saw the classes. Thief are really good too, just because they can turn invisible when finishing, which mean you CAN'T counter them except with an AoE CC and it also means, most of the time, you LOSE this fight.

To see if I was the only one to not like this offseason thing, so I asked in /map in the PvP area.... 6 people replied, only one liked it. 5 was complaining about it, not just saying ''I don't like it'', which leads me to a question : Why do Anet do this ?

• Like 2

Every time the off-season starts some ranting thread appears.

And rightly so, 2v2 and 3v3 are horribly unbalanced, unfun and with even more terrible matchmaking.

I don't really know why the off-season is even that long, why can't it be like 2 or 3 days while implementing 2v2 and 3v3 as secondary gamemode?

And if the answer is because no one would play them then why would you FORCE the players to play a gamemode they don't like at all?

Every time off season starts there is a mass-exodus of pvp streamers from twitch, anet either want the pvp playerbase to get smaller/ don't care/ is too stubborn to accept that the gamemode failed

Edited by ramorambo.6701
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Squizzle.4902 said:

Does the off season give top 250 titles?

Or, I guess my real question is, there even 250 people that play off seasons? I'm not being sarcastic, I have genuinely thought so few people play mini-seasons everybody would qualify by default. 

There is a 2vs2/3vs3 elite title when you hit top250 nothing more

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cjay.6312 said:

I don't know why people in this pvp community think that premade teams are the way to go.

Eh. I don't actually think premade/teamQ is more competitive for the vast majority of players. As you say, ATs are a good snapshot of what that world looks like: casuals have no chance at climbing, and the same people win every single time.

In that regard, the current ranked system looks like a good compromise. It's not full teamQ so solo players with skill have a shot at climbing decently high when matched with and against players of comparable skill, and aside from the offseason there's no timegate.

But as you yourself point out

Imagine sitting there and forcing actual good players to wait in easy 10m+ queues just to fight against silver tier players. We already do that in ranked and now you're wanting to make it worse for no actual reason.

This is exactly why ranked is unfixable. The algorithm at least starts out trying to restrict the possible range of player mmr within a single match, but it compromises and eventually allows for huge mmr gaps within the same match if it can't fill up a roster. Removing duoQ might help slightly with this, as it will prevent some of the smurfing and other manipulative nonsense going on, but the fact that you're currently seeing long queue times only to face more bads means that the population can't support gameplay at your level.

So you make a big deal about not infesting unranked with your higher skill, but it's sadly the reverse: lower skill people that you are trying to avoid end up infesting your matches, despite your efforts and desire to avoid them. 

Ranked is the only source of pvp content for players like me who only enjoy pvp in this game.

Unranked also has mmr, in case you didn't know. If ranked were removed, everyone had to queue unranked, and the unranked algorithm was tightened up a bit, before too long you'd end up seeing more people around your level and fewer absolutely new faces. So with rewards from ranked being moved into unranked, at worst you'd get

1. same queue times as now,
  2. similar noob stomping boredom as now, and
  3. same rewards as now.

At best, you'd get

1. likely better queue times
  2. less noob stomping over time as mmr sorts itself out, 
  3. same rewards as now, and
  4. no offseason.

The real question is though - if all you care about is pvp, how do you still endure? The pvp balance is done by just one guy who can only tweak some numbers. This same guy missed nerfing core necro shroud while damage got cut across the board, giving rise to minionmancer being a thing at the highest levels of gameplay. The only new game modes we've seen are the very same 2v2 and 3v3 modes you despise.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Confused 1

I'm on the other side i prefer 2v2 and 3v3 game modes, it is the only game mode i can sufficiently carry the team or do everything right and get result even if i lose its a loss that was more or less on my hands unless my partner was a total failure which surprisingly is rare it does happen but not as much as 5v5 as there are more people in play and far more mechanics in play.

I just wanted to state for that there are people who dislike conquest and play it anyways because its in the game.

Also removing ranked is a sure fire way to remove pvp out of the game.

17 hours ago, Cjay.6312 said:

I don't know why people in this pvp community think that premade teams are the way to go. Imagine sitting there and forcing actual good players to wait in easy 10m+ queues just to fight against silver tier players. We already do that in ranked and now you're wanting to make it worse for no actual reason. That system is already simulated in ATs with every team getting stomped by whatever plat 3 pug group is formed. There is no competitiveness in the 2v2/3v3 scene. Why do you think every season you have people like me going 98-0 and top 10 is full of insane winrates like that. They aren't competitive, they aren't fun, and aren't worth the time. The only ones who actually enjoy the offseason are the players that unfortunately aren't good enough to enjoy ranked to its fullest extent. Having to not worry about rotations and just zoom in and mash your buttons with no actual thought is why 2v2 is enjoyed. 

Eliminating ranked would quite literally kill the pvp scene more than it already has been. There is no way you could possibly think anyone outside of the gold population would waste their time trying to gain "prestiege/competitive" gameplay from some place outside of a daily automated tournament or a monthly automated tournament. I'd rather get good rewards for slaying soccer moms than to get 30 silver for doing the exact same menial task. The offseason is dog and needs to be shortened or removed. Ranked is the only source of pvp content for players like me who only enjoy pvp in this game. Unranked is a chore fighting bad players that can't even help it because they're just new/trying to get into the game. All we're doing is making it more unfun for them by infesting that mode. Even when we're playing casually, we're still leagues better than them and it doesn't provide anything worth learning or playing for

On your comment about the same plat 3's stomping in AT's, Nobody does AT's because there's no game mode to grow in therefore a small group of slightly above average or pro's what ever you wanna name them can just run rampant.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 1