Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Voice bleed issue with Discord and game voices.


Recommended Posts

So, i'm playing story with a friend and we're on Discord.

Private call, no servers, just directly to one another.

 

The entire call is fine. I can hear my game, he hears his game, and we hear each other.

Then, the story missions start, and every voice acted line bleeds through discord for some reason.

I hear it on my end, from the game, then half a second later that same voice through discord.

And it's like a feedback loop, they get louder and louder, but sound like old phones, and with skips. 

 

And it's only ever the voices, i never hear effect sounds coming from discord call. Just the voices, nothing else.

I hear his character talking, NPCs, but never anything else.

Everything else i do hear from the game on my end, but the voices i hear double, from my end and through discord call.

And i know it's discord because his name lights up on overlay as if he's talking when the NPCs talk.

 

I have NO idea what is happening, i need help fixing this, it's annoying.

His speakers are silent, mine are too, we only have headphones with microphones on. So there shouldn't be any feedback loop from that, and if it was, it would pick up fighting sounds and the rest.

 

Is it the game?

Why are only voices doing that?

Please help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mikansei.5742 said:

I have no clue how to fix it, but my guess is that Discord is picking up on the voice acting as if it was another person talking into your mic.

Well, yeah, but how is it just picking up the voice of the game?

It's kinda creepy to be honest, music, sound effects from fighting and stuff, none of that gets picked up but voice does.

Also where is it even picking it up from? The headphones aren't so loud that the microphone can pick them up, and there's no sound coming from anywhere else. 

Edited by Veprovina.4876
Link to post
Share on other sites

At least on one of my systems there has been an option in the recording setup to record "what you hear".

Microphones can sometimes be more capable of picking things up than you think ... back when I was in college I used an early form of something like Google voice so I was using a headset to call my parents. One time I was asked about someone in the background. The problem is that there was nobody else in the room. Turns out the mic was picking a conversation from people down the call ... through the closed door and mic wasn't even anything special.

 

If you are using a headset with a mic rather than headphone plus separate mic some of the sound might be getting transmitted through the frame. There were bluetooth headsets that worked in a similar fashion(or so they claimed...) which sent vibration through your jawbone which then traveled to your inner ear.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Well, yeah, but how is it just picking up the voice of the game?

Because it is Discord and thus has very few options to manage voice settings, unlike TeamSpeak³ where you can fine-tune the voice activity detection and filters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, Khisanth.2948 said:

At least on one of my systems there has been an option in the recording setup to record "what you hear".

Microphones can sometimes be more capable of picking things up than you think ... back when I was in college I used an early form of something like Google voice so I was using a headset to call my parents. One time I was asked about someone in the background. The problem is that there was nobody else in the room. Turns out the mic was picking a conversation from people down the call ... through the closed door and mic wasn't even anything special.

 

If you are using a headset with a mic rather than headphone plus separate mic some of the sound might be getting transmitted through the frame. There were bluetooth headsets that worked in a similar fashion(or so they claimed...) which sent vibration through your jawbone which then traveled to your inner ear.

That makes a lot of sense actually! Totally forgot that the microphone can pick up vibrations through the mount arm!

20 hours ago, Leo.3428 said:

Creepy indeed! Maybe this can help: https://appuals.com/fix-discord-picking-up-game-audio/

It could be a mix of two things: 1. The system mixes channels then 2. Discord suppresses noise through Krisp, keeping only game voices.

Before changing any settings, I would first check if the voices and sounds from a video produce the same effect.

Thanks, i'll check it out and try it, see if it helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Switch to Push to talk and never look back. Its kind of like binding your keys in a game, its awkward at first but eventually you get uesd to instinctively pushing the button when you want to talk.

 

Voice detection is all kinds of trouble in the long run. Having your mic always on also irritates other people more than you may realise, its just that people are generally nice and will try not to mention it unless it gets way too annoying (e.g your keyboard presses setting it off).

 

Sounds is complicated and there's alot of things that sound like voices to a computer. Our minds had to specifically evolve to recognise language in a consistent manner.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Switch to Push to talk and never look back. Its kind of like binding your keys in a game, its awkward at first but eventually you get uesd to instinctively pushing the button when you want to talk.

 

Voice detection is all kinds of trouble in the long run. Having your mic always on also irritates other people more than you may realise, its just that people are generally nice and will try not to mention it unless it gets way too annoying (e.g your keyboard presses setting it off).

 

Sounds is complicated and there's alot of things that sound like voices to a computer. Our minds had to specifically evolve to recognise language in a consistent manner.

I'm not the problem, i'm hearing voice bleed from my friend's end, and he doesn't want to push to talk, nor would i because it's only us. Constantly tapping a button to talk, idk... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Voice detection is all kinds of trouble in the long run.

Never encountered a single issue in 20 (!) years, with the exception of the cable breaking once and causing static.

10 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Having your mic always on also irritates other people more than you may realise

Only if you don't know how to configure your mic or your system's sound settings properly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I meant the built in microphone on a headset. None of those have shock mounts, or at least, mine doesn't. 

Of course they have a shock mount. Its called your head.

Anyway, are the sounds muted as if its coming from a speaker through the mic or is clear like straight sound? If the later then your sound config is wonky.

If its the former, just experiment. Like using speakers for sound and only having the mic connected, bypasing the headset sound. Or disconnect everything and try piece by piece. Hopefully you are not using a front case mic plug because those are often complete garbage due to poor shielding, the mobo plugs should be used.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...