Site for Strike-specific builds and comps?

Obtena.7952

10 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK ... so all the raid builds will be appropriate for all the strikes? Good.

I'm pretty sure you're writing that facetiously, but that's really the case here.  There's only one strike that would require anything special, and that is boneskinner.  The only thing you might want there is epidemic and projectile destruction.  Otherwise, every raid build works on every boss.  Just build the group somewhat competently (quickness, alac, might, heals) and you'll win.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It is indeed weird no one has ever made guides for compositions on Strikes, but it might be because since its basically easy content there is little interest in optimizing runs since the bosses are glorified training golems. Besides some of these can be cheesed either with SAK exploits or epi spam.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

It is indeed weird no one has ever made guides for compositions on Strikes, but it might be because since its basically easy content there is little interest in optimizing runs since the bosses are glorified training golems. Besides some of these can be cheesed either with SAK exploits or epi spam.

While it doesn't talk about specific builds/comps, I did find some non-video guides I liked on Metabattle describing the mechanics of the existing strikes; exactly how I like to learn about these things.

I think the weird thing about this is that people assume new players will simply 'know' to look at raid builds for strikes. That's pretty presumptuous. I what I think unfortunate is that the question if such a thing exists gets treated like it was 'stupid' by some people. Par for the course though ... it's not the first time players trying to learn about instanced content are treated like this. The exclusive 'raid' club is alive an well on these forums. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

21 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

While it doesn't talk about specific builds/comps, I did find some non-video guides I liked on Metabattle describing the mechanics of the existing strikes; exactly how I like to learn about these things.

I think the weird thing about this is that people assume new players will simply 'know' to look at raid builds for strikes. That's pretty presumptuous. I what I think unfortunate is that the question if such a thing exists gets treated like it was 'stupid' by some people.

They don't need to look for anything in the first place. And it really doesn't take a lot of thinking about it to understand that the harder 10 player content builds will very obviously translate to the easier 10 player content that's supposed to lead up to the previously mentioned harder one. Because why wouldn't they?

Par for the course though ... it's not the first time players trying to learn about instanced content are treated like this. The exclusive 'raid' club is alive an well on these forums. 

🤦‍♂️

"Crushing meta-think" in the signature. "If you don't link me more sites with meta builds, you're an elitist" in the post. Ok.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

The reason you don't (yet) see dedicated sites for strikes meta builds is simple: none of the strike bosses have specific mechanics which require working around. In general all they need is 1 thing:

Enough damage to beat the timer (and most times the imner is very generous)

At the same time, most sites which provide raid builds actually provide 10-man composition builds by now. The reason they are called "raid builds" is mostly historic (and most are not even "meta" too). 

Even 5 man fractal or "open world" builds are more than sufficient for current strikes. 

As far as meta, well just watch some of the speedrun records on strike bosses. Most of them revolve around (ab)using the special action key as much as possible. No need to make a site dedicated to "press button as often as possible".

This might change with strike CMs, where if the content is actually challenging I am sure sites will rename/rebrand the type of builds they offer for clarity.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I think the weird thing about this is that people assume new players will simply 'know' to look at raid builds for strikes. That's pretty presumptuous. I what I think unfortunate is that the question if such a thing exists gets treated like it was 'stupid' by some people. Par for the course though ... it's not the first time players trying to learn about instanced content are treated like this. The exclusive 'raid' club is alive an well on these forums. 

New player shoudn't copy paste build and get kill. There is no reward in it. I remember my first VG kill 5 yrs ago? It is still one my best memory of this game.

We were all new and trying different thing. I died so many times and didn't even know I could repair my armor at spawn. I was stripped to underpant :D.

after many hours of tries we finally got him and I felt like we actually climbed the Everest and planted the flag. It was awesome feeling.

As I always say, Anet needs to fix LFG system. So, new player can get that experience instead of getting carried and cheapens the whole experience.

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The reason you don't (yet) see dedicated sites for strikes meta builds is simple: none of the strike bosses have specific mechanics which require working around. In general all they need is 1 thing:

Enough damage to beat the timer (and most times the imner is very generous)

At the same time, most sites which provide raid builds actually provide 10-man composition builds by now. The reason they are called "raid builds" is mostly historic (and most are not even "meta" too). 

Even 5 man fractal or "open world" builds are more than sufficient for current strikes. 

As far as meta, well just watch some of the speedrun records on strike bosses. Most of them revolve around (ab)using the special action key as much as possible. No need to make a site dedicated to "press button as often as possible".

This might change with strike CMs, where if the content is actually challenging I am sure sites will rename/rebrand the type of builds they offer for clarity.

Some strikes that's absolutely true. Not so much for Boneskinner and Whisper. But yes, what you say is not far from my own experience. I just wanted to have my bases covered for the guild when asked about what's out there or where to start. 

• Confused 5

7 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Some strikes that's absolutely true. Not so much for Boneskinner and Whisper. But yes, what you say is not far from my own experience. I just wanted to have my bases covered for the guild when asked about what's out there or where to start. 

No, even WoJ and Boneskinner don't have mechanics which require specific classes. Both fights only require basic movement and the cc required can easily be achieved via the special action key.

The difference between condition and power builds is not relevant given either will be more than sufficient to beat any timer required.

So while WoJ and Boneskinner do require some mechanics be done, those do not require specific builds to work around. As such, there is no point to design builds. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

No, even WoJ and Boneskinner don't have mechanics which require specific classes.

Right my apologies because I misread you. I'm aware there aren't specific classes needed for strikes, just like their isn't for raids. I was thinking more about the specific mechanics of these strikes are more punishing than the others. They tend to result in wipes for inexperienced players more often than the others. 

Really, I was just wondering if someone had put together some strike guides. metabattle was the closest thing I could find. If raid builds are sufficient, that's what I will let me people know. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Actually there is a need for these kinds of materials because nothing else in the game exposes a new-to-WoJ player to that mechanic. They just go in get 'chained' and then what? At best, harm some people, at worst,  end up wiping their team, getting kicked and giving up on strikes because it's a crap way for the game to treat new-to-content players. How does that player ever learn what to do without assuming people will just tell them?

Hyperbole not withstanding, I actually agree to some extent. The game should present some mechanics more in the general game, or in pre-events Ala VG. 

But this comes with the caveat that the notion of progression (figuring out what the mechanics are) is a desired part of instanced content to a portion of the playerbase. 

And then people wonder why raids failed. Yeah I wonder 🤔😆

Almost nobody wonders why raids "failed". 

People just disagree what the reasons are. 

I mean, you are literally telling me we don't need this information when many of the PUG's I get for WoJ fail hard because someone doesn't know what to do. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

So, as i said, then make a Guide.

"Irony is that I still understand more about the game than most people that play it. Funny that."

Your'e words. But if you'd rather trash talk and go after raiders, have fun.

That is not really a response to the post. 

A) when someone asks whether guides exist, just saying make one yourself isn't a usefull answer. 

B) when talking about how the game doesn't prepare people for mechanics, just saying people should make a guide is not really addressing the point. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Why should new players require a guide for "dodge left" or "dont kill other players with chains"? Those are one liners and can be pasted into the chat before every strike. Chat macros would be even better but gw2 doesnt have those. Having those in a textfile ready to copy paste works aswell though.

New players are also mostly willing to learn and listen. Usually its the veterans with thousands of hours press 1 experience and self proclaimed meta crushers who are the problem and need guides. But those players would never read a guide to begin with, 10k hours ingame and still couldnt figure out the combat system. A few paragraphs which they will ignore wont help since they know better anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

That is not really a response to the post. 

A) when someone asks whether guides exist, just saying make one yourself isn't a usefull answer. 

B) when talking about how the game doesn't prepare people for mechanics, just saying people should make a guide is not really addressing the point. 

But the game constantly shows you how to dodge. Just the fact that there is a red field spawning below you that gives you dmg shows you that you might want to do something.
Or when you see that others die as soon as you lead something that is attached to you through them, should show any logical thinking person after a few times, oh there is something happening. Both things are not tied to strikes. Quite the opposite. Strikes are just boring DMG golems, as has already been said here.

And that's all that happens in the Strikes. 99% of the "mechanics" in strikes are red fields. And if you have no idea what to do at this stage of the game, it's not GW2's fault that you're screwing up.

I mean, why do games have to take you by the hand all the time these days for the simplest things?

In the story, fractals and raids you are prepared for mechanics, because there actually are few that can really screw you up. But why prepare people for something they should have learned by lvl 3 if they don't just push their characters to 80?
Or is GW2 supposed to teach people how to pay attention to their surroundings and how to use logical thinking when going down from a red field?

----

@Obtena.7952And btw, I replied to this "I was thinking more about the specific mechanics of these strikes are more punishing than the other"

If you forget your'e own words after a few minutes, I really can't help it.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Why should new players require a guide for ... "dont kill other players with chains"?

Because their is no previous game experience telling them chains would do that or how NOT to kill other players with the chains. Maybe you think it's obvious what to do when you get hit with a chain. I can assure you for the new player ... it's not.

That's a pretty weird question considering there are raid guides all over the place that explain similar raid mechanics to people. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

5 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

And btw, I replied to this "I was thinking more about the specific mechanics of these strikes are more punishing than the other"

And somehow you interpreted that as me asking for the trivial advice you gave me. I know that makes sense to you in some weird way but there isn't even an ask in that comment. Plus, the advice you gave patronizing me with responses like  'Just dodge" and "you don't need a 1 minute guide for that" or "make your own guide" aren't even reasonable replies that comment. 

... but sure, pretend this is a comprehension or memory issue on my part. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

57 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Because their is no previous game experience telling them chains would do that or how NOT to kill other players with the chains. Maybe you think it's obvious what to do when you get hit with a chain. I can assure you for the new player ... it's not.

What's weird here for me is some sort of assumption that players shouldn't fail at all, but instead they should go into new content and automatically succeed. How do you learn about the chains? You get "hit" by one (or "hit" someone with it, depending on the situation). And after one failure -yours or anyone else's- you understand that chain = bad, just like you'd understand that in case of meeting that mechanic in any other place in the game.

That's a pretty weird question considering there are raid guides all over the place that explain similar raid mechanics to people. 

I think you've received responses you did mainly due to asking the wrong question in comparison to what you were apparently actually looking for (judging by your later posts). If you were looking for explanation for strike missions mechanics, then you could have lead with that. You could (still can) also just check gw2 wiki, which is the first result after googling "gw2 strike missions".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But the game constantly shows you how to dodge. Just the fact that there is a red field spawning below you that gives you dmg shows you that you might want to do something.
Or when you see that others die as soon as you lead something that is attached to you through them, should show any logical thinking person after a few times, oh there is something happening. Both things are not tied to strikes. Quite the opposite. Strikes are just boring DMG golems, as has already been said here.

And that's all that happens in the Strikes. 99% of the "mechanics" in strikes are red fields. And if you have no idea what to do at this stage of the game, it's not GW2's fault that you're screwing up.

I mean, why do games have to take you by the hand all the time these days for the simplest things?

In the story, fractals and raids you are prepared for mechanics, because there actually are few that can really screw you up. But why prepare people for something they should have learned by lvl 3 if they don't just push their characters to 80?
Or is GW2 supposed to teach people how to pay attention to their surroundings and how to use logical thinking when going down from a red field?

----

@Obtena.7952And btw, I replied to this "I was thinking more about the specific mechanics of these strikes are more punishing than the other"

If you forget your'e own words after a few minutes, I really can't help it.

Have you missed that Obtena was talking about the chain mechanic specifically? The dodge thing is irrelevant here because for that the game does do a decent job explaining it. 

• Confused 4