Is there any endgame worth doing without the expansions?

I have the base game that I bought back on release, hit lvl 80 and didn't play much after that.

I am thinking about buying all 3 expansions but I wanted to play for a few weeks first if possible.

I do enjoy pvp and play that, otherwise I'm not too interested in 100% all the maps.  

Is there anything else worth doing before I get the expansions? 

Yeah, Fractals are probably the best bet.  Challenge may be the armor eventually but by completing the first 25 in t1 fractals, it should give you some challenge until you gear out better.  

I might find some people to run with..  It’s helpful when you have someone that can assist with what’s needed in each fractal.  Pugs for those levels are usually fine, but have some experience can make them smoother.

• Like 1

What type of end game content would you be interested in?

Besides PvP and Fractals there's World vs World, normal dungeons, world bosses, the meta-events at the temples in Orr and the Silverwastes and Drytop meta-events (Silverwastes is still quite popular as a gold farm).

There's probably others I'm forgetting and 'end game' content can be quite ambiguous in GW2 because there's no big change in what you do before and after level 80, you're not locked out of anything or funnelled into a new type of progression, it just means all the options are now open to you, so it really depends on what you like doing with your time.

• Like 1

Interested in both PvE and PvP stuff, just more into stuff that is more skill based and/or gets better gear rather than completionist or cosmetic collecting.  I will try out fractals and some WvW, I know matched PVP uses standardized stats but do I need to try to get better gear for WvW?  I still am wearing whatever I leveled with and it's probably not very good.

I would just point out that in PVE (fractals) there are not many if any good builds without elite specializations (expansions). This should be fine in lower tiers but you might get some flack in t3 fractals or higher. It's not that you can't finish them, far from it, just people can be kittens.

In spvp there are actually many core builds that are competitive or even meta. WvW is somewhere middle ground. If you're just roaming solo or joining open pug groups, everything is fine if you can make it work. For roaming spvp builds mostly apply also but WvW has additional stat sets that only come from expansions. If you want to join closed or guild groups it depends on commander. Some will tolerate you but might put you in the "useless" party or will just not take you in.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, Treemonkeys.2947 said:

Interested in both PvE and PvP stuff, just more into stuff that is more skill based and/or gets better gear rather than completionist or cosmetic collecting.  I will try out fractals and some WvW, I know matched PVP uses standardized stats but do I need to try to get better gear for WvW?  I still am wearing whatever I leveled with and it's probably not very good.

For wvw, exotic gear would be recommended. Go on meta battle.com to see some fairly basic builds for everyone (or pvp and just adapt them to PCR armor). You can further customize this prior to expending funds on build editor if you wish. 
You can get by in sub-exotic if you are in a Zerg or massively outskill people, but it will be more difficult, and you will be at a major disadvantage the whole time. The good news is that playing WvW can help you unlock fairly cheap exotic gear. If you go into a WvW map and ask for help in team chat, usually someone nice will help you. 
Best of luck 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 7:22 AM, Treemonkeys.2947 said:

I have the base game that I bought back on release, hit lvl 80 and didn't play much after that.

I am thinking about buying all 3 expansions but I wanted to play for a few weeks first if possible.

I do enjoy pvp and play that, otherwise I'm not too interested in 100% all the maps.  

Is there anything else worth doing before I get the expansions? 

Yea fractals, pvp or wvw if you remeber to keep in mind core is often not the strongest option and just play them to have some fun and see the game. Silver Wastes has a nice map meta too you can look in LFG for RIBA

I think so.

I disagree with what is said, core is strong in pvp depending what class you are in and build I hear, there is RIBA and certain world bosses  and silverwastes RIBA gives good stuffs.

people do fractals and cms and stuff.

i think it's worth doing expansions mostly if you want more areas to explore, flying/gliding (mounts rock! serious qol +), and want to try the expacs, or guild/decorating.  But your core classes are sometimes as good as the expacs.  I think if you're into the game tho the expacs are worth it.

Edited by cloudsareyum.8120