The Actual Fastest way to farm map currencies for Skyscale

I do not know why this doesn't come up in any google searches for guides but this needs to be said. Everyone says the best ways are "do strike missions for eternal ice shards, buy 5 a day from dragonfall, do hearts, etc." I am here to tell you that these people are all wrong, well intentioned but wrong. These ways may be fastest for farming currency in the long run but for the skyscale there is a better way.

You probably are like me and havent done much in LW4 since you just started skyscale. You will eventually need 250 of each LW4 map currencies for the saddle. Do the following.

In achievements, look up "Return to Thunderhead Peak" and track it. If you complete this achievement to tier 3 (75% done) you get 250 of the map currency. Repeat for Jahai Bluffs, Domain of Istan, Dragon Fall, etc.)

Literally got 250 of each resource in like an hour and a half in one sitting. you get 3 completion points in each zone just by harvesting wood, ore and herbs. This is by far, the fastest and easiest way to get skyscale currencies for saddle.

This has been a PSA from a fresh noob who barely found this out in time to save me from buying icebrood saga in order to get skyscale.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, freakinrobe.9741 said:

I do not know why this doesn't come up in any google searches for guides but this needs to be said. Everyone says the best ways are "do strike missions for eternal ice shards, buy 5 a day from dragonfall, do hearts, etc." I am here to tell you that these people are all wrong, well intentioned but wrong. These ways may be fastest for farming currency in the long run but for the skyscale there is a better way.

You probably are like me and havent done much in LW4 since you just started skyscale. You will eventually need 250 of each LW4 map currencies for the saddle. Do the following.

In achievements, look up "Return to Thunderhead Peak" and track it. If you complete this achievement to tier 3 (75% done) you get 250 of the map currency. Repeat for Jahai Bluffs, Domain of Istan, Dragon Fall, etc.)

Literally got 250 of each resource in like an hour and a half in one sitting. you get 3 completion points in each zone just by harvesting wood, ore and herbs. This is by far, the fastest and easiest way to get skyscale currencies for saddle.

This has been a PSA from a fresh noob who barely found this out in time to save me from buying icebrood saga in order to get skyscale.

Yea and that was added like 4 months ago so its pretty new still mate.

It is always told in all the new threads poping up about not getting resources for vision, aurora and skyscale nowdays.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 3

Another supplement is to grab them from weekly vendors during the festivals that they are available, which is only Dragon Bash as far as I know for the moment.

I grabbed most of what I needed then and finished it out pretty easily.

If you buy portal scrolls to the zones you can use your alts to farm the hearts as well if you need more than that.

• Haha 1

What also helps is: Actually playing the content - in a way where you do not rush but also try to complete achievement in the different episodes. This acutally takes longer. But it feels less "grindy" - when you earn some map currency while you not focus on rushing to earn currency.

Focusing to rush for Skyscale - and grinding currency quickly with ignoring most ither stuff ... well it feels grindy obviously. Yeah: Combining all the methods might be the best. Or using the ones that are best suited for your playstyle.

Personally I played super slow. (Kept the stuff I earned an did not buy much from renown hearts) - and by the time I finished the season I already had most materials. I know others (most people) want skyscale very quickly.

Very helpful: The daily stuff. Especially if you are not in a hurry and can do other content. That might also be the case if you slowly (cause you can't play much per day - for example) progress through the first steps of the Skyscale collection: Try to do the daily of the season 4 maps. Gives some additional mats from the resources and while you are at it you can gather a bit from the map nodes + you do not focus on grinding 250 of one ... then going to the next one - but alway a bit of each. (Might feel less grindy that way.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 5:54 AM, freakinrobe.9741 said:

Oh, Thank you so much! I Have "farmed" for so long... and not I got it in like 2 hours! I finally hat the skyskale! Thank you for the great tip! ❤️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/7/2022 at 11:54 PM, freakinrobe.9741 said:

You don’t see it in guides because the return event was last year, May to November, but the skyscale was released two years before. 

On these forums, at least, whenever the skyscale gets brought up, someone will typically point out the return event for currency.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 11:54 PM, freakinrobe.9741 said:

I hope this isn't seen as a necro, but I have to respond to the OP.
I was in high hopes when a friend linked me this thread, that all I had to do was the farming nodes and boom Tier 3, and boom I get the 250 resource I need. Easy peasy.
But ArenaNet says that's "too easy" and wants you to do an additional 3-4 more before they'll painfully relinquish their 250 resource to you. And there's no more 'easy' ones. Still have to do hearts. Still have to do events. Still have to do timed adventures (with one requiring another mount I don't have, nor care for). Things that (once again) have absolutely nothing to do with the Skyscale.
What I don't get, OP, that really should had been made more clear, is you say that yes, you need more than 50% of the achievement done. But, you also made me assume all I needed was the three farming node points to get it. But sadly the tier still has to be 'completed', instead of reached.

It feels every time I see a way to get around ArenaNet's BS, the devs find a way to shut it down. I have tried desperately to tolerate everything the collection threw at me. But this final collection, the final thing I need to have the mount, ANet clearly 'saved the worst for last'.
And I... have finally lost the ability to care about the Skyscale. Already wasted so much (gold and RL money) on the Living World series, on food, on toys, on treats for this dam dragon.. and what do I get in return? A feeling of regret I have never felt in my gaming life. Regret for ever thinking this was a good idea to invest in so much time and effort, for nothing! ..Well I can't fully say that as the LW seasons actually do feel worth it (after season 3). I don't really regret my purchase of them.
But the Skyscale collection as it stands, is a word beyond 'ridiculous' that suits what I've gone through, and ArenaNet wants you to do more. I'm tired of this crap. I've had enough.

But even with the rage and the frustration I feel, I'm going to keep playing.
Just going to focus on the Griffon instead. It's not a true flying mount, but it's the closest thing, and (hopefully) half the effort required. Plus, no stupid, pointless 'flight range' bar from what I've seen. If it wasn't for the Wall Grab mastery that fills 66% of the bar, I would had never even started the collection. ...Yet in the back of my mind I still question myself if it was worth all of this. At this point, the answer is "no".. it was never worth it.
ANet, I am disappoint.

/rant

Edited by Benie.9312
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Benie.9312 said:

I hope this isn't seen as a necro, but I have to respond to the OP.
I was in high hopes when a friend linked me this thread, that all I had to do was the farming nodes and boom Tier 3, and boom I get the 250 resource I need. Easy peasy.
But ArenaNet says that's "too easy" and wants you to do an additional 3-4 more before they'll painfully relinquish their 250 resource to you. And there's no more 'easy' ones. Still have to do hearts. Still have to do events. Still have to do timed adventures (with one requiring another mount I don't have, nor care for). Things that (once again) have absolutely nothing to do with the Skyscale.
What I don't get, OP, that really should had been made more clear, is you say that yes, you need more than 50% of the achievement done. But, you also made me assume all I needed was the three farming node points to get it. But sadly the tier still has to be 'completed', instead of reached.

It feels every time I see a way to get around ArenaNet's BS, the devs find a way to shut it down. I have tried desperately to tolerate everything the collection threw at me. But this final collection, the final thing I need to have the mount, ANet clearly 'saved the worst for last'.
And I... have finally lost the ability to care about the Skyscale. Already wasted so much (gold and RL money) on the Living World series, on food, on toys, on treats for this dam dragon.. and what do I get in return? A feeling of regret I have never felt in my gaming life. Regret for ever thinking this was a good idea to invest in so much time and effort, for nothing! ..Well I can't fully say that as the LW seasons actually do feel worth it (after season 3). I don't really regret my purchase of them.
But the Skyscale collection as it stands, is a word beyond 'ridiculous' that suits what I've gone through, and ArenaNet wants you to do more. I'm tired of this crap. I've had enough.

But even with the rage and the frustration I feel, I'm going to keep playing.
Just going to focus on the Griffon instead. It's not a true flying mount, but it's the closest thing, and (hopefully) half the effort required. Plus, no stupid, pointless 'flight range' bar from what I've seen. If it wasn't for the Wall Grab mastery that fills 66% of the bar, I would had never even started the collection. ...Yet in the back of my mind I still question myself if it was worth all of this. At this point, the answer is "no".. it was never worth it.
ANet, I am disappoint.

/rant

You might want to check out current events tab under h-achievement and see how far your of on each season 4 return to.

That gives you the materials easy.

• Like 3

You can camp the three large chest in Bjora Marches and get 140-150 ice shards a day just doing nohing. Then you spent 75 ice shards + 2688k karma to get 10 of the desired Living Season 3 materials, so you can get ~20 a day in less than 2 minutes. Since there's 6 materials and a stack of 250 required, you will get the 1500 materials in 75 days just alt-camping 3 characters (or moving one between the three chest).

But the real number will be lower, since some of the LS3 maps are played a lot and you'll only need the ones which you played the least.

By the way, the Skyscale is overrated: has its uses, but the Griffon is better and if you known how to use it is just night an day.