Communication for 3rd wvw beta test

57 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Hello guys I'm a time traveller from 2026 and I am here to confirm that Alliances did come out!

Thats funny, cause I'm from 2027, to confirm that Alliances failed hard.

The good news, obviously I guess: time travels have been invented, and I'm now on the way back to 2012, to hammer blast some water fields, and visit my quaggan friends before they where banned from WvW, fuuuuh 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Arenanet isn't reading, I wouldn't waste the actuations on your keyboard switches.

However, on the bright side we can get some good old-fashioned matchup threads going while anet is looking the other way.

Ferguson's Crossing

- How do they even ppt this much

Anvil Rock

- Indo vod

Maguuma

- Nobody likes them apparently

• Haha 2

Only info I have heard regarding WvW is from Anet's most recent post below, under the WvW section:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-the-future-of-guild-wars-2/

In the July 2021 ArenaNet Studio update, we said that we view World vs. World as a cornerstone game mode of Guild Wars 2. This statement still holds true for us, and now that Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons is released, we can further increase our support for WvW. Our priorities for WvW are largely unchanged from what we talked about in our “Future of World vs. World” blog post in September of last year.

Anet did not give specific feedback on the last beta test, however it seems as though they are trying to fix a bug still.

Right now, the team is tracking down an incredibly elusive, long-standing bug that causes queues to reset and throw players back to the end of the line—something that happens more often during the highly active beta events.

My guess is once they can fix this bug they will start back with beta testing, but I also could be, and most likely am, completely wrong with that guess.

weekly bump.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:36 AM, WeightTrainer.3219 said:

Only info I have heard regarding WvW is from Anet's most recent post below, under the WvW section:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-the-future-of-guild-wars-2/

Anet did not give specific feedback on the last beta test, however it seems as though they are trying to fix a bug still.

My guess is once they can fix this bug they will start back with beta testing, but I also could be, and most likely am, completely wrong with that guess.

Yes, true.

But we still know nothing. Fixing an extremely elusive bug may take a week or 6 months. Next beta this month? This year? What is the status?

Edited by Samug.6512

8 hours ago, Samug.6512 said:

weekly bump.

Yes, true.

But we still know nothing. Fixing an extremely elusive bug may take a week or 6 months. Next beta this month? This year? What is the status?

Man this is just stupid, why would they give you the exact week/month if they don't know if they'll be ready for said date? What if they give you the exact date and there is some incident that delays it? What would then giving the date achieve, except people moaning in the forums about Anet hating WvW and spamming allianceswhen?

I really don't think any of you wanting the exact date have a clue about how programming works.

Edited by Telgum.6071
Typo

Obviously they cannot give a date for the next betas until they clear the elusive queue bug, this bug is holding back all development because wvw cannot function with one person being booted back to back of the queue line randomly, it ruins the entire night for their guild and server. But the only times they will be able to reproduce and see the bug in live action, in order to fix it, is when the servers are under heavy stress, so basically only once a week on reset night. 

So if you really wish to help and get the betas sooner, in a couple months, rather than later, in a couple years, then y'all need to four map queue every day of the week during prime time so that anet gets more opportunities to catch the bug live. Also keep in mind it needs to be done when the one wvw dev is working, so queue the maps up as much as possible during the day! Get those spvp bot accounts queuing up the maps too!

This is a massive joke post btw, for the confused emoji's I'm sure I'll gather.

• Haha 2

On 3/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

Obviously they cannot give a date for the next betas until they clear the elusive queue bug, this bug is holding back all development because wvw cannot function with one person being booted back to back of the queue line randomly, it ruins the entire night for their guild and server. But the only times they will be able to reproduce and see the bug in live action, in order to fix it, is when the servers are under heavy stress, so basically only once a week on reset night. 

So if you really wish to help and get the betas sooner, in a couple months, rather than later, in a couple years, then y'all need to four map queue every day of the week during prime time so that anet gets more opportunities to catch the bug live. Also keep in mind it needs to be done when the one wvw dev is working, so queue the maps up as much as possible during the day! Get those spvp bot accounts queuing up the maps too!

This is a massive joke post btw, for the confused emoji's I'm sure I'll gather.

They can not give a date until they put the wvw team working on alliances again and not in the pve expansion. But not to worry they are offering pve things every 2 weeks, so wvw team wont deliver alliances till 2 or 3 years in the future at best, because they will be fixing pve bugs for this year.

As always wvw and pvp are the least of the least of the priorities. I'm kind of  "new" and I'm already understanding the sour feeling of a lot of wvw and pvp players.

Edited by Nymthalas.4019
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

That's a pretty weak bump...

Ahem...

#ALLIANCESWHEN!?
#BETASWHEN!?

#BALANCEWHEN!?
#COMMUNICATIONSEVER!?

Don't expect a new beta for lots at least july/august. PvE is a priority (again) at least till June (I'm glad to see more communication from Anet, but annoyed that WvW and PvP are always last priority, doesn't suprise me pvp has this feeling of being semi dead) as they will be shipping pve content every 2 weeks, and as always the alliances team will be fixing bugs until that releases finishes in June. Then hope they don't add more pve things... and if so alliances for 2023.

With the announcement of the expac and new alliances team I was glad to see there was changes to come, and old players told me that this has happened more than once promises on adding content but never delivered if you are not pve player you don't get kitten, I argued this time they have a new team blablablabla. In the end I'm starting to understand their sour mood with the game, it has a lot of potential, but if you are not pve player don't expect much.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, Nymthalas.4019 said:

Don't expect a new beta for lots at least july/august. PvE is a priority (again) at least till June (I'm glad to see more communication from Anet, but annoyed that WvW and PvP are always last priority, doesn't suprise me pvp has this feeling of being semi dead) as they will be shipping pve content every 2 weeks, and as always the alliances team will be fixing bugs until that releases finishes in June. Then hope they don't add more pve things... and if so alliances for 2023.

With the announcement of the expac and new alliances team I was glad to see there was changes to come, and old players told me that this has happened more than once promises on adding content but never delivered if you are not pve player you don't get kitten, I argued this time they have a new team blablablabla. In the end I'm starting to understand their sour mood with the game, it has a lot of potential, but if you are not pve player don't expect much.

Hope I'm wrong.

It's in the Spring roadmap at the very least, so hopefully that means another beta will be in May or June, but we most likely won't see actual WvW alliances; allowing individual wvw guilds to choose to be paired together implemented, until later this year if we're  lucky enough.

Roadmap

Edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 8:08 PM, CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:

It's in the Spring roadmap at the very least, so hopefully that means another beta will be in May or June, but we most likely won't see actual WvW alliances; allowing individual wvw guilds to choose to be paired together implemented, until later this year if we're  lucky enough.

Roadmap

Thanks. I had forgotten it was listed in the Spring roadmap. According to google, Spring in the Northern Hemisphere ends on June 21 this year. So we should presumably see another Alliance beta before then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its coming out in September not in spring due to they are focusing on that steam version of guild wars 2, when that does comes out the beta be full in swing then you have steam users, more people who hate each other moving around freely then they have to see after steam releases into world vs world what effects would it does and from the knowledge there going to be more ques in na than in eu servers at that time for almost two  months of its release

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Nalla.6581 said:

Its coming out in September not in spring due to they are focusing on that steam version of guild wars 2, when that does comes out the beta be full in swing then you have steam users, more people who hate each other moving around freely then they have to see after steam releases into world vs world what effects would it does and from the knowledge there going to be more ques in na than in eu servers at that time for almost two  months of its release

Do you have a source for that info?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

on Riverside lately people speculated in TS that alliances wont ever come live but believe it was just a marketing show to silence the people and keep us going.

Just take the existing Linking System, make some minor alteration in player assignment , rename the worlds to whatever "Dark Woods Server", call it a beta and people stop yelling for new systems for another year or two. 

When an anet employee posts on twitter that there will be news regarding alliances right after the EoD Release is finished and nothing happened since... what shall we think?

Will the EoD PvE release ever been finished this year or is it officially finished when all the legendary weapons skins have been released? They needed like 3 month now for the second set of skins so is that the timeframe we can count on to have the EoD release finished by end of next year to get more news on alliances or what?

The question to Grouch indeed is "When is the EoD Release ever finished in anets view?"

This company has the problem of all the devs and employee who post here on twitter, there on reddit, talk on twitch, post in discords and nothing ever happens like they tell us in this social media spider web of theirs. The customer management should be improved vastly.

Edited by SlateSloan.3654
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

on Riverside lately people speculated in TS that alliances wont ever come live but believe it was just a marketing show to silence the people and keep us going.

The issue is rather this, if you allow me an extremely crude example just to illustrate the point as simply as possible.

ArenaNet has had 75% of their resources working on LWS/expac type of content and 25% of their resources working on anything else now for quite alot of years. They have also been prone to temporarily take more from the 25% than they give to it.

Any muscle added to WvW assumes either moving existing assets over or hiring additional assets. If you take a perspective over time they have on-and-off taken more than they have given and they have been prone to replace assets rather than adding with hires.

So while, in the fog of things, they can say that they are refocusing on Alliances or are prioritising Alliances or see WvW as a cornerstone game mode all of those things are rather vague affirmations that can often times just mean that they are giving some pieces back that they have taken. The total assets there are not necessarily enough to complete any project in timely fashion and that is a likely reason as to why these same projects are scrapped and reinvented. Then I am not saying that Alliances isn't big, complex or bogged down by legacy issues (spaghetti, etc.).

However, one reason that you don't see the instanced PvE (strikes, etc.) team suffer as much, even though it isn't necessarily very large today, is that at one point (HoT) the studio sunk considerable resources into that area of the game and its tools. They never did that for WvW and even now when they want to they either can't or won't.

Spoiler

It comes off as just marketing ploys and we can meme about that or take our frustrations out on it, but at the end of the day everything comes down to money, assets and taking risks or commitment. You can say that you prioritise but without commitment it does ring rather hollow. You get a dissonance between what you say and do, or between what you want to do, to what you do.

Now, there's no point crying over spilled milk, but if you again take that perspective over time, if there are any big mistakes one are to point to, those would be when considerable resources were allocated to other games, or other modes that are less stable than WvW. Things like instanced PvE and sPvP are simply not as stable- or as connected to open world PvE as WvW is. LWS is more complex because it is more than one thing. I'd argue that they have completely overshot on their art and story, but needless to say, the map and events play is as much bread and butter for this game as WvW is, or more. It's not surprising that open PvE get more resources even when WvW is a communicated priority, however, there is arguably plenty of spoil within open PvE and the aspects of it that isn't strictly open PvE.

That's not to say those things does not have a right exist (other modes, art and polish), but it has taken ArenaNet a far too long time to realize that it was a mistake to consider those modes more important than WvW. They never were more important and sinking resources into them was just chasing ghosts. This game was simply built to handle larger-scale open social play better. That is its fundamental design. Everything else was short-sighted marketing. The problems we face now is more that they are not willing- or allowed to take enough risks with open PvE (or simply lack transferable competences there) or are not allowed to hire enough to show commitment (or fire-to-hire with competence issues).

That too warrants critique, but with the betas and all it is rather safe to assume that they are trying to deliver something. They still just have funding issues, direction issues and communication issues as a result. I think those three things are perfectly fine to call them out on and be sarcastic about. They've earned that. Alliances not being here already is fine, if we had any idea of where they are at. Not being able to communicate that and not being able to write their blogpost about it that was promised delivery 6 months ago, that's the joke. Saying that there will be betas and being unable to deliver a single beta since, that's the joke, and so on. Not being able to communicate whether they have given the project enough resources to succeed in a timely fashion is the one big thing they should be called out for. That's the fog stringing us along and that is simply amoral. The everyday toils of their employees is not really something we can say anything about. It's whether they're given chance to succeed that affects us as customers. Problems are not always solved by throwing money and manpower at them, but insufficient money and manpower always cause problems. If that is the case, the developer is also not treating us as customers even if we are and that is relevant to us, to make own decisions.

Thus, communication is always key regardless of what they can or can't do, and that affects whether they are honest or not. It is however not as simple as being a big lie from the beginning. It's not worth putting the effort that they have put in, into a mere lie.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501

Man I came back to the game, made a new account and everything, bought the expansion, geared up a bunch of alts and now I have very little confidence alliances will be here in 2022, 2023, or ever. Still getting bamboozled after all these years as an MMO player, fool me 28 times shame on me I guess

• Haha 2