Can we please delay the skill description pop-up?

SkinnyT.5382

i wouldnt call myself a professional skillclicker (i only click the skills on the right side of the healthbar) but you insist on skillclicking, i would recommend decreasing the size of the interface to an acceptable size so that the tooltips dont obstruct too much of the screen (to your preference; i still have tooltips that reach further than halfway up my screen 😐)

if running a low resolution potato or if youre afraid of missing the intended button because of a smaller interface, then you need to practice hovering close to but not on the buttons, quickly going and pressing what you need and going out again. the tooltips will still pop up but it should be only for a brief moment, which shouldnt really impede play all that much since youre not planning on reading it in the first place. if this is still too distracting, then id additionally recommend doing what i do and setup keybinds (mine is pretty much the original setup) so that you only need to click on the skills on the right side of the health orb, because their tooltips are more out of the way and at least dont obstruct your character

2 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

The intention is that you watch enemy animations and react to them.  You can't do that if your eyes are constantly on your skillbar, which they obviously are if your complaint is that tooltips get in the way of clicking your skills.

I don't know why you and others assume that I'm not looking at the enemy animation. At no point in time did I ever say I was having combat difficulties, I can dodge, and interrupt, and use my skills just fine by clicking. I don't need combat assistance. What I need is to not have a distracting tool-tip pop up in the middle of my screen all the time. I know where the skills are and what they do. The only time I'm looking at the skills instead of the enemies and my surroundings is when I'm checking the recharge. But because I use a mouse and I set up my next skills  by hovering them, I'm stuck with a distracting pop up.

Also since you all keep suggesting that the skills are not to be clicked on, then why is THAT a feature? If you're not suppose to be clicking on them why are you allowed to do so? Why not take that function away?
As I said  before, the implementation of a tool-tip delay or the ability to turn it off has absolutely no negative effects on anyone. Yet you people go out of your way to come here and tell me and others that clicking the skills bar is the "wrong way to play".  As if your way is superior, except it's not; it's just different.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

If SkinnyT is able to complete the content that they want to do without issues, then they are playing properly for them. Maybe they're not able to do everything in game, but if they aren't wanting to do the things that their skill clicking would prevent, is their skill clicking really a problem?

I don't see a problem with an option to add a delay to the tooltip or even a turn off tooltip option. Because once you learn the skills and what they do, do you need the tooltip? That turn off tooltip option would even help non-skill clickers because we don't have to make sure our mouse doesn't end up on a skill during play. We can always turn it back on if we pick up a new class or change things up to where we need the tooltips again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I'm a bit confused.  You state you leave your cursor on the next skill to be used; does that mean you aren't using the mouse to move?  Don't use it to target anything ever? Keeping your eyes on cooldowns? Maybe you could leave the cursor just above the skill...

Regardless, it's a fine QoL Suggestion; I think players are just offering other suggestions/tips to use whilst you await implementation of said suggestion (which may take years, if ever).

Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'm a bit confused.  You state you leave your cursor on the next skill to be used; does that mean you aren't using the mouse to move?  ...

Let me see if I can provide an example. Let's say I'm fighting a Champion. I start by clicking at it to select target. Then I click on 1 to auto attack. At this point they are going to attack me back and I'm going to start dodging and moving my camera around to move. Henceforth I'll start clicking other skills as well. From fighting the champion before I know it has an attack pattern, and that it's going to change soon. I also know I want to use a certain skill as it gets close to me. At this point I might hover over that skill so I can use it at the correct time. That's one example of when I would hover a skill. Mind you throughout the the whole fight I would have  been clicking the skills and would have had the tool-tips come up immediately with each click. Another example is that say I'm low in health because my healing skill didn't heal as much when I first used, so I might hover over the healing skill so that I can use it as soon as the recharge is over.
So I'm moving the mouse around while fighting; it's not like the wall of text is fixed on my screen the whole time. But the continuous pop ups are distracting. More so when the pop-up is so big that it can cover my character.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I guess what you may be able to take from the responses is:  do what works for you.  I don’t think after 9 years, and very few UI changes of significance, you can either continue to play your way, and live with the annoying tool tip pop up, or you can use other key binds.

All of the responses kind of boil down to that…. Yes, some posters feel their way is best, and their way of explaining it sounds quite self righteous.  

But I am not sure that expecting a change from Anet after 9 years of the Current system, is going to be productive.

Either way, good luck to you.  Hopefully you find a way to make your gameplay both easier and less frustrating.  

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 5

@SkinnyT.5382: We don't have to justify ourselves for asking to have a feature returned to the game that already existed not too long ago. Hell, we don't have to justify ourselves, period.

As you stated yourself:

On 2/19/2022 at 8:54 PM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

For all of you who keep saying that i need to stop clicking my skills. NO
Just . No.
-First off, I shouldn't have to.
-Secondly, some professions use upwards of 14 skills. I'm not gonna rebind my whole keyboard for all of this, nor will I buy a mouse with an ungodly amount of buttons.

Fact of the matter is that clicking to activate skills works just fine, what doesn't work is the wall of text continuously being produced  immediately after you hover a skill. The implementation of a delay to this function or the ability to shut off this function (which I would personally  prefer) has literally no negative impact to anyone. It does however positively effect myself and many other players who have been asking for this for years. I don't understand why some of you keep fighting against providing other players with accommodations which would make their playing experience better.

You can play the game with your toes as far as I'm concerned, that's your prerogative. Just like clicking on my  skills is mine.

👍

P.S. People who say they don't notice the brief popup when they click skills are probably the same who don't notice their character tilting to one side after being CC'd due to a bug. 😄

On 2/21/2022 at 5:36 AM, Strider Pj.2193 said:

I don’t think after 9 years, and very few UI changes of significance, you can either continue to play your way, and live with the annoying tool tip pop up, or you can use other key binds.

...when you have no keys left to bind. 😉

On 2/21/2022 at 5:36 AM, Strider Pj.2193 said:

But I am not sure that expecting a change from Anet after 9 years of the Current system, is going to be productive.

It wouldn't be a change, it would be bringing back a feature that was already there for many years.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

@SkinnyT.5382: We don't have to justify ourselves for asking to have a feature returned to the game that already existed not too long ago. Hell, we don't have to justify ourselves, period.

As you stated yourself:

👍

P.S. People who say they don't notice the brief popup when they click skills are probably the same who don't notice their character tilting to one side after being CC'd due to a bug. 😄

It wouldn't be a change, it would be bringing back a feature that was already there for many years.

They removed it for a reason, so no need to bring it back. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

As you stated yourself:

👍

or it might be because they actualy just move mouse click skill and move it away it only pops up if you hover mouse over it as OP say they do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/19/2022 at 8:28 AM, LSD.4673 said:

GW2 and its community are legitimately the most confused of all game communities...apart from maybe Sonic, but then that's a totally different issue.

Anyway: the point of GW2 -- which die-hards at release would always harp on about when the game was criticised for being awful and devoid of anything meaningful to so -- was meant to be that you play it however you want to play it. Action Cam, clicking skills, whatever. You aren't forced to bind macros and meet rotation requirements.

Meanwhile, most replies are calling this guy's playstyle wrong.

The UI is hilariously uncustomisable and screen-blocking -- which, again, was a much-touted design tenet, "not playing the UI". The game is totally unaccommodating for those with disabilities, when simple alterations like OP's asking for would solve issues for many. Just like toning down effects, allowing UI to be customised, colourblind options.

Anet cares not. EoD means approaching EoL, and NCSoft cares only about margins.

For me I personally hate that I'd have to play with a UI much larger than I'd like to make the Chat Box text larger since setting text to "large" barely does anything. The only way to make it larger is by setting "Interface Size" to large as well, which makes everything but the Chat Box look rediculous and unnessasarily big to me. So I play with a text size that is uncomfortable to me just to keep the other UI elements small. The chat window and mini-map also has pretty bad resize limits on small interface.

"Small, medium, large" is all we get for text, with barely a difference, and "small, medium, large, larger" for ENTIRE UI at once instead of each individual area...

We got real stone-age options for UI customization.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 7:31 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Maybe you can use keys for those 4 skills whilst you wait for your suggestions to be implemented.  (It could be years...)

Good luck.

Would probably be much faster to ask delta to add it as another extra to arc. It had the ability to disable the personal story box long before dynamic HUD feature was added to the client.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Hello everybody! I know it's an old thread but I wish too there was an option to hide these mouse over tool-tips on the skill bars.  I know I repeat myself, but the option is available in GW1.  I've been asking for this since day 1 of GW2. Anyways... Thank you! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Valanthe.4067 said:

Hello everybody! I know it's an old thread but I wish too there was an option to hide these mouse over tool-tips on the skill bars.  I know I repeat myself, but the option is available in GW1.  I've been asking for this since day 1 of GW2. Anyways... Thank you! 🙂

No there is not at this moment and Anet have not said they are working on it either.

• Sad 1

I knew a guy in another game who was a skill clicker and had no trouble topping DPS charts when playing as DPS and other times doing complex tanking. Although it's true keybinds benefit a lot of players, there's no hard and fast rule that you are losing out not using them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2