Mechanist Open World (Solo)

Grimhammer.8351

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So ... Mechanist for OW PVE is broken AF and if you want to breeze through EoD content with Mechanist, get in ASAP. I suspect it will be fixed pretty soon. 

Don't really get some of the comments here. Power or condi ... it doesn't really matter. They are equally broken. Good AFK spec as we all suspected.  

Just wait until you have to get your feet wet.

And so what if it's a decent overworld solo spec?  It's trash in groups and pvp and wvw right now, and probably always will be because anet doesn't know the first thing about balancing their own game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So ... Mechanist for OW PVE is broken AF

Yes, if you're an average player it will look "broken AF" to you but so does the siege turtle (even if it's just the "driver"). On the other hand it's really nothing to write home about for anyone who actually knows how to play their class.

• Like 1

Yeah... I've spent most of this expansion staring at a raid golem, but something that became apparent immediately is how strong mechanist is for casual play.  The auto attack damage is strong, the mech and the mace + shield combo have good utility, the signets are braindead simple to use, and the mech can be customized to run either boon or power support.  The build gives simple but meaningful group buffs, minute amount of barrier, and the mech can solo enemies for you if you get low and have to run away...

Aside from the lack of underwater support, Mechanist is right up there next to Specter for the best EoD specialization.  When I do finally get the time to go into the story at large, I'm taking the Mech.  

5 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Yes, if you're an average player it will look "broken AF" to you but so does the siege turtle (even if it's just the "driver"). On the other hand it's really nothing to write home about for anyone who actually knows how to play their class.

That's somehow a stupid comment. 

I can reach 8,5k dps with my quickness scrapper on golem. 

I can reach 12k dps with my grenade/mortar/signets mech on golem with even a more relaxed rotation which brings also even more utility and mobility to open world.

That's a huge margin."who knows how to play their class" also applies to mech and it seems like you are just an average mech so far, isn't it?

Edited by Forestnator.6298
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

11 minutes ago, Forestnator.6298 said:

That's somehow a stupid comment. 

Only if you lack basic reading comprehension. Most classes have solo builds which, if played correctly, can reach over 20k sustained DPS while the average player does about 2,5k.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

Only if you lack basic reading comprehension. Most classes have solo builds which, if played correctly, can reach over 20k sustained DPS while the average player does about 2,5k.

That's not true. Most classes can closly reach 10k continuously dps on their own. Your comment makes me think you have never ever tried to kill a golem without any group buff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mechanist with Ritualist's gear and triated for DoTs with the Mech Frame for Alac is really good.

Mech healer in a raid provides Alac, Barrier, Might, Stability, Aegis, and Regen if Utility Skilled for it. They do all this while baseline being able to put ten stacks of Daze on the target.

They do this on a group wide basis through the mech. If my hypothesis is correct they can do all this while tanking as well. Their role compression in raids is somewhere between ridiculous to insane.

55 minutes ago, Forestnator.6298 said:

That's not true. Most classes can closly reach 10k continuously dps on their own. Your comment makes me think you have never ever tried to kill a golem without any group buff.

I reached around 22k dps with my firebrand on golem without boons and condis, around 15k with trailblazers weaver, around 23k with chrono, around 16k with condi holo, steady slightly over 14k with mechanist (but with a non optimal build bc I am using mace and Overclock Signet and Superconducting Signet and 1/1/3 in traits instead of 1/1/1).

It also very much depends on the build you are using, Firebrand and chrono only deal so much dps on their own because they have tons of boons. For example the Chrono build was: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pi0Awy3lVw8YbsO2JW6WaNbA-zxQYhIl2zfHFERBlRtpQFFgJXkwYL8A-e -> Perma fury, perma quickness, almost perma 25 might, tons of vulnerability, a lot of alac

26 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

I reached around 22k dps with my firebrand on golem without boons and condis, around 15k with trailblazers weaver, around 23k with chrono, around 16k with condi holo, steady slightly over 14k with mechanist (but with a non optimal build bc I am using mace and Overclock Signet and Superconducting Signet and 1/1/3 in traits instead of 1/1/1).

It also very much depends on the build you are using, Firebrand and chrono only deal so much dps on their own because they have tons of boons. For example the Chrono build was: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pi0Awy3lVw8YbsO2JW6WaNbA-zxQYhIl2zfHFERBlRtpQFFgJXkwYL8A-e -> Perma fury, perma quickness, almost perma 25 might, tons of vulnerability, a lot of alac

I agree with that. I don't agree with that:

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

It's more like: "Very few classes have solo builds which can reach over 20k sustained DPS". 

Back to topic: Scrapper is known as a very nice open world spec:

good damage (but solo DPS around 9k?), barrier and background healing for sustain, lack in condition remove unfortunately, decent mobility due to superspeed, nice options to break defiance bar.

Mechanist gives huge damage boost (I reach 12k, you reach 14k), good sustain (Mech as a a tank, incredible background heal), better condition remove and better mobility (Switch Signet).  and even better options for breaking defiance bar. 

Won't call it "broken AF", but hell: it is definitly S tier for open world. Or am I wrong?

8 minutes ago, Forestnator.6298 said:

It's more like: "Very few classes have solo builds which can reach over 20k sustained DPS". 

That's just you being in denial, there are 9 classes. All the heavy ones have at least one build, so does mesmer and I know necro has multiple which already makes for the majority of the classes. The numbers you mentioned however are nothing special for so called "low intensity" builds.

This is a good thing.  Engineer was a very complex class. Having a simple spec thats good in open world with awesome visuals that fit the thene shows that ANET looked, listened, and responded well.

Its also what, day 3? Maybe we'll face the mech pirate ship zerg in WvW one day. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forestnator.6298 said:

Won't call it "broken AF", but hell: it is definitly S tier for open world. Or am I wrong?

Its good yea but I would say A tier instead of S tier.
S tier is something like trailblazers scourge with tormenting rune and trailblazers renegade with tormenting rune. (Before both of them got nerfed and rune too) Scourge maybe still S tier tho.
I would say staff/staff mirage is on the top now. Mirage got no nerfs and it was very good before. Perma dodge thingie you know.
I would say mirage S tier and mechanist A tier together with specter, soulbeast and so on. In beta Bladesworn was also A-S tier in open world but I have no clue how it is atm since release.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

[...] steady slightly over 14k with mechanist (but with a non optimal build bc I am using mace and Overclock Signet and Superconducting Signet and 1/1/3 in traits instead of 1/1/1).

What did u use for your 14k baseline? 

That is my 12k build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAk6lxy0YvMXWKOyLvRfA-zRZYBRDhnvYQBzhOMEVKA1fkwYD8A-e

16 hours ago, Lynx.9058 said:

Just wait until you have to get your feet wet.

And so what if it's a decent overworld solo spec?  It's trash in groups and pvp and wvw right now, and probably always will be because anet doesn't know the first thing about balancing their own game.

Feet are plenty wet here ... Mechanist is trash in groups/pvp/wvw? OK ... that's not what the thread is about. 

14 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

That makes no sense. This has nothing to do with knowing how to play the class. The combination of utility, sustain and DPS is on mechanist is worse that some of the specs we saw just get a massive sustain nerf. The only thing that I think will keep this from getting a nerf is that it's new and likely ... Anet just want people to play it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1

While my Power-Scrapper is in maintainance, I run these two builds:

Power/Condition Hybrid
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeABk6prlFw+YWMYWMWeXnRbA-zRRYNBbm03OkoECBKDaZB4qZpKlN-e
Performance is acceptable for my taste. It offers a fair share of both power- and condition-damage. Good sustain with shield + Tool Kit. Development focus was to reduce the cooldown of the Mech via Power Wrench to maintain almost 100 % uptime. 

Power/Support Hybrid
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeABk6l7lFwcZWsWWMWeTVRVA-zRhYgBBNqIEITXleAlAnobFSThQYVQgJguziwDbA-e
I did not run into any real issues so far. I can maintain 100 % quickness uptime, which results in an acceptable permanent group-barrier and permanent alacrity. Additional barrier/sustain via Barrier Burst and Barrier Signet. Opposite to most Mechanist support builds I have seen so far, this one does not need any other players running support-builds to operate. It does not require external quickness or other stuff.  The damage output is rather low obviously. But Mechanist is not a Firebrand. It is either, or - not both XD. 

The mech practically never dies. It was pretty handy when we were capturing the new guild hall, and we split a group of 4 to take on 2 bosses (maybe not a good idea).

Now,  when it comes to keeping yourself alive, that's really up to you because you have no toolbelt skills . I usually use Shift Signet to pack and leave if needed.

Barrier Signet + Alacrity on Barrier trait is very useful and I always spam it on a large group of people (along with Crisis Zone).

Some of EoD's content is actually pretty difficult for open world standards, so don't expect you to facetank everything (let your mech do that)

I use mace because our grand total of 2 other weapon choices sucks.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

15 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

That makes no sense. This has nothing to do with knowing how to play the class.

Then you're not really talking about performance at which point the term "broken" becomes a nebulous construct that doesn't really mean anything. But the fact of the matter is most people only take issue with the mechanist because of its low skill floor, everything else is just used as a pretext because we have a multitude of builds across all classes that faceroll the content even harder which is something people would also have to take issue with if it was actually about performance which ofc. they don't.

15 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

The combination of utility, sustain and DPS is on mechanist is worse that some of the specs we saw just get a massive sustain nerf.

That doesn't really mean anything since the nerfed self sustain for "some of the specs" were not really "an issue" at all (e.g. thief). On the other hand we still have various builds that are basically "immortal gods" in OW PvE which will most likely never get nerfed because the "how they do it" is a bit more obscure so they don't get QQd on.

14 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

The mech practically never dies.

That's because he usually doesn't get focussed and just recovers if the focus breaks but he does go down if it does not. The mech also doesn't seem to be that strong on its own either, it easily goes down when facing anything that isn't complete trash tier e.g. elites in AB, OW champions in general, 2 veteran Mark I Golems (the training golems you can summon in the Mistlock Observatory).

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Then you're not really talking about performance at which point the term "broken" becomes a nebulous construct that doesn't really mean anything. But the fact of the matter is most people only take issue with the mechanist because of its low skill floor, everything else is just used as a pretext because we have a multitude of builds across all classes that faceroll the content even harder which is something people would also have to take issue with if it was actually about performance which ofc. they don't.

That doesn't really mean anything since the nerfed self sustain for "some of the specs" were not really "an issue" at all (e.g. thief). On the other hand we still have various builds that are basically "immortal gods" in OW PvE which will most likely never get nerfed because the "how they do it" is a bit more obscure so they don't get QQd on.

Well, you got your way, I got mine I guess. I see what Anet did in the sustain nerfs for existing specs. I look at Mechanist. I can't help but think that if there is consistency in Anet's logic between the sustain nerfs and what Mechanist is capable of, then don't be surprised when the nerf hammer comes down here. I'm simply applying relevant actions from the past to the current situation here. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

The mech practically never dies.

See, this is something that annoys me a bit because I am seeing CONSTANT conflict on the statement. I see a lot of people saying the Mech is nearly immortal then others saying as soon as you square off against anything above grunt statues(champions, elites, etc) the Mech gets downed constantly. I can't figure out which it is and there's no youtube vids or anything of solo champion fights yet to confirm or compare.

6 hours ago, Horus.8304 said:

I can't figure out which it is and there's no youtube vids or anything of solo champion fights yet to confirm or compare.

I brought up some concrete examples so you could have tested it yourself but to give you the conclusions: vs. the golems / vs. one of the weakest OW champions (with celestial gear in both cases).

People who claim that it's invincible either: 

A: Are running around in some kind of weird full nomad / minstrel support build.

B: Are impressed by how it beats up some weak trash mob, which might or might not even be a veteran, they themselves struggle to handle (remember the average player only brings around 2-3k dps to the table and doesn't use any of their active defences).

or

C.: Are just refering to the fact that it usually doesn't die (for reasons I stated above).

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horus.8304 said:

See, this is something that annoys me a bit because I am seeing CONSTANT conflict on the statement. I see a lot of people saying the Mech is nearly immortal then others saying as soon as you square off against anything above grunt statues(champions, elites, etc) the Mech gets downed constantly. I can't figure out which it is and there's no youtube vids or anything of solo champion fights yet to confirm or compare.

In fractals/Strikes, it doesn't die because the big scripted attacks do not hit it.  When dealing with regular enemies the normal style of attacks do hit it and it can die.  So in Fractals/Strikes I have yet to have it die on me, but in open world I've had it die on me though I wouldn't say it has been a problem.  I've spent more time with my mech gone because I fat fingered my recall button than with it dead.