Glowing Flora and Depressing Light

I was wondering why the devs have chosen to make the flora in Seitung Province "glow" brightly, even in the shadows. Trees and flowers look quite unnatural due to this, though the textures and colors are nice.

I was also wondering why the sky lighting in Seitung Proving, New Kaineng City and Dragon's End gives the impression that it's always cloudy and a bit depressing. It's also unnaturally bright at the same time, despite the clouds.

Anyone sharing these perceptions?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

The situation in Dragons End:
The apocalypse is near. 😨

This guy:
The lack of sunlight is kinda depressing. 😢

First of, I'm not a guy and you should stop assuming gender, and second, yes, I can see the irony. So let's drop Dragon's End from that list 😉, but the fact still stands for the other maps. (Besides, giving Dragon's End a stormy sky and lighting would have fit better than what we got.)

Also, I wasn't crying. Insisting to know people's emotional state is pretty entitled. :classic_rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

I do not like the foggy effects at all in New Kaineng, how there are so many flat square surfaces all lit the same and the sun's blocky shape is still awkwardly in the sky.

The funniest thing about Kaineng's fog is how you can fly above it at night and thereby have the lighting change from one second to the next, making it look like somebody suddenly turned on the lights. 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

imo new kaineng is also just WAAAAAAAAAAY too bright at night,

A large metropolis with artificial lighting and a smog effect should not look like it has a spotlight shining down on it at night with every star in the sky clearly visible.

I'm consistently shocked when I notice my sylvari glowing, because 11pm looks like a barely overcast afternoon here. Maybe 5pm if we wanna be generous.

Nah, there needs to be WAAAAAAY more light pollution evident in the sky with fewer stars visible. The lower level is paradoxically brighter than the higher level with the white smog not adjusting with the brightness of the rest of the atmosphere and staying bright at night.  (and honestly, it should be darker during the day as well, since the looming buildings should block the sun for most of the day when it's not perfectly noon.)

Like I know they hyped up "oh we made night last longer 'cause kaineng looks so good at night!"  But like I can't really appreciate "Kaineng at night" when it never feels like it's night time in a city. :T  They just reeeeally need to crank that darkness up at night (and a bit in the day too in places) so that neon jade magic can really >pop!<

Edited by Roda.7468
added comparison image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I believe what you're seeing is from a design standpoint, strictly to establish atmosphere rather than realism. Color schemes also play a role in setting a mood, or symbolizing something the developers want the player to experience or feel. Movie directors use the same tactics. 

• Like 1