Fake Gem Store Prices

Fleo.7324

It's March, and we are getting different items on sale every day, which is great. I've happily spent some cash on a few things.

But something is really bothering me. Recently the Shared Inventory Slot was on sale. I have bought a bundle 5 of those a couple of times, and I know they are 2800 gems. But during the sale the strikethrough price was over 3000 gems. Totally fake.

Right now the Black Lion Chest Key is on sale, and for a bundle of 25 the strikethrough price is 3125 gems, but when they aren't on sale the price is actually 2100 gems. Fake price again.

This is so low... Feels like it should even be illegal.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

As has been explained countless times through the years, the prices shown on discounted items are always what the bundle would cost if each item was purchased separately. 

Was about to post this, but you beat me to it. It has also been expressed countless times through the years how confusing and misleading this is for customers, so I have no idea why they keep doing it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ok, so it's nothing new. But it really leaves a very bad impression.

I know the buy price is 25% lower than normal price, but they make it seem like the sale is actually 50%. It is totally misleading.

I was literally with my card in hand ready to buy gems, when I realised how bad this looks. I decided not to spend any more money on the game. Not unless I see they're honest with advertising sales.  I can't be the only one put off by this, they really shouldn't do it.

• Like 11
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Fleo.7324 said:

It's March, and we are getting different items on sale every day, which is great. I've happily spent some cash on a few things.

But something is really bothering me. Recently the Shared Inventory Slot was on sale. I have bought a bundle 5 of those a couple of times, and I know they are 2800 gems. But during the sale the strikethrough price was over 3000 gems. Totally fake.

Right now the Black Lion Chest Key is on sale, and for a bundle of 25 the strikethrough price is 3125 gems, but when they aren't on sale the price is actually 2100 gems. Fake price again.

In the real world, retailers do this practically all the time for a very long time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Was about to post this, but you beat me to it. It has also been expressed countless times through the years how confusing and misleading this is for customers, so I have no idea why they keep doing it.

The reason they or any other business does this misleading-on-the-surface practice is to make customers think, "OMG, what a good deal!!!!!!!!"  Click buy click buy click buy

Edited by Witch of Doom.5739
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

The reason they or any other business does this misleading-on-the-surface practice is to make customers think, "OMG, what a good deal!!!!!!!!"  Click buy click buy click buy

Yes, it's purely a targeted marketing tactic, but it's probably not necessary or worth the lack of clarity it seems to produce every time these sales come around. People buy keys when they're on sale because they're on sale - that's the draw. Any additional advertising fluff is not required.

I'd wager if they didn't shuffle around the displayed gem amount to try and enhance the apparent discount, they'd still sell keys during these sales and fewer people would be confused.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Have you ever shopped at Kohls? While it is certainly possible to get a deal there, you can't tell me that every item in that store is really on sale at the discount they say it is on their signs. It is just the way they try and make consumers feel even better about spending money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, danickar.3495 said:

Have you ever shopped at Kohls? While it is certainly possible to get a deal there, you can't tell me that every item in that store is really on sale at the discount they say it is on their signs. It is just the way they try and make consumers feel even better about spending money.

On the other hand there was ... https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/jcpenney-pricing-strategy/

"this is why we can't have nice things" or straight forward pricing ...

7 hours ago, Fleo.7324 said:

What you're failing to take into account is the discount for buying multiple at once in a bundle.

• Like 2