Stop using Discord for your GW2 comms

OK move along people, you generally get a slightly better standard of conversation at reddit on these sorts of subjects so i will go there. Thanks to all those though that came here to give genuine helpful comments rather than come to sneer.

Many of you appear to think Discord is kitten great, despite it having all sorts of issues, as i said in my second response, i dont have an issue with third party comms in theory and used to use TS, that from that you could assume i hate communication apps is ridiculous. I just do not think its a good thing for a game to get completely reliant on one external app with kitten verification, and locking people out who cannot use it for whatever reason.

Aand to everyone stating i am the only person with this issue, do you really think i would come here if i hadnt seen hundreds of comments online talking about this? It wont accept numbers after it has flagged you, thats the point, and i am still correct that linking a phone number to a company that has data leak issues, refuses VOIP and operates its customer services purely through bots is a bad idea. That last bit is for commenter that thinks linking phone numbers isnt the agressive data grab it is.

Edited by Shangri La.6237
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Shangri La.6237 said:

I have yet to see a positive response to any thread made complaining about something by you

You're not looking very hard then, are you?

Of course I respond to things I disagree with. The things I agree with are covered quite nicely. There's a post about saltwater fishing not being fun. I agree with it. It's a complaint. I haven't posted in that thread.   There's threads about dusk or dawn not being long enough and I agree with that too.  I don't post in those threads. It's covered.  So yeah, it's not the complaints that are my problem, it's the hyperbole. 

Edit: 

There you go.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 10:36 AM, Shangri La.6237 said:

OK move along people, you generally get a slightly better standard of conversation at reddit on these sorts of subjects so i will go there. Thanks to all those though that came here to give genuine helpful comments rather than come to sneer.

Many of you appear to think Discord is kitten great, despite it having all sorts of issues, as i said in my second response, i dont have an issue with third party comms in theory and used to use TS, that from that you could assume i hate communication apps is ridiculous. I just do not think its a good thing for a game to get completely reliant on one external app with kitten verification, and locking people out who cannot use it for whatever reason.

Aand to everyone stating i am the only person with this issue, do you really think i would come here if i hadnt seen hundreds of comments online talking about this? It wont accept numbers after it has flagged you, thats the point, and i am still correct that linking a phone number to a company that has data leak issues, refuses VOIP and operates its customer services purely through bots is a bad idea. That last bit is for commenter that thinks linking phone numbers isnt the agressive data grab it is.

I had plenty of issues over the years with Teamspeak, mumble and vent as well.  You're making it sound like discord has issues but all the other ones are fine. That's not my experience.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I'm pretty sure this a "you" problem. I get it and at a point I understand, but it's how they want to command / lead and it's out of Anet hands because there isn't much they can do about it other than a ban advertisement for a voice chat in-game. There are commanders who don't care if your in a voice group as long you follow the tag and I've ran with some with no voice at all which went well. You can also always simply follow a tag without even joining the tag. 

I've used VPN as well with discord and haven't had any problems with it. It's not a bad thing for people to have an alternative to discord as well, I think Guilded is a great alternative if you looking for a very similar experience. Team Speak was alright back in the day, but very dated now and free version isn't great.

It's going to be very hard for you or anyone to be convinced to swap to a new platform because even if a very similar product such as Guilded is around most people are already established on Discord. The something new would have to offer something of value for people to switch and offer the same features that they can currently get. Which when discord launched it was missing such key features that Team Speak users didn't swap over until added.

4 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

I think someone is trying to fish you, OP. Discord never once asked for my phone number.

It does actually. It's not phishing. It's not everyone either, but I had to provide an active cell phone for certain groups.

Edited by Vayne.8563

2 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

It does actually. It's not phishing. It's not everyone either, but I had to provide an active cell phone for certain groups.

but that is not a Discord requirement. It is a setting by particular servers for ...

Members of the server must meet the following criteria before they can send messages in text channels or initiate a direct message conversation. If a member has an assigned role this does not apply.

when the verification level is set to Highest for Moderation.

For the activities OP is describing there isn't really any need to send text to the channels or initiate direct message conversations since in most cases the voice chat is just for follow/coordinate some instructions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

Unless u are into "professional" wvw or raid; don't need discord. skip it.

i use on DE meta because its work. not because is "mandatory".

Or unless you enjoy hanging out with your friends on voice whilst playing, or communicating with your guild outside of the game...

We have a discord server for my guild, and whilst it's completely optional I love to run a lot of extra fun stuff there (like competitions, lotteries, etc). It's just not feasible to do that via guild chat.

You definitely do not have to be "professional" WvW or raid to need discord, in fact I strongly prefer people to be on discord for my raid trainings because I feel like they go way smoother and people learn way more when we are on voice - you can't type questions or comments in the middle of a fight, you can say them. It's also a lot less effort for me as the leader to explain stuff over voice rather than type everything.

I get that not everyone is into that, but I don't think you should be telling people to skip it just because clearly it's something you don't like. It's not necessary and it's not mandatory, but it can be really great.

8 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

You definitely do not have to be "professional" WvW or raid to need discord.

i only talk about play gw2, which discord is a tool for optimal groups.

if someone "need friends to hangout" is another matter unrelated to play the game.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 1

Just now, ugrakarma.9416 said:

i only talk about play gw2, which discord is a tool for optimal groups.

if someone "need friends to hangout" is another matter unrelated to play the game.

Except the thread is about using discord as comms for GW2, and your contribution was "skip it", and I just provided some merits for it.

It's not just a tool for optimal groups, it's a tool for much more.

And hanging out with friends is a huge part of the game, how is that unrelated?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 4/2/2022 at 8:26 PM, Hannelore.8153 said:

Many small guilds and friends groups still use Mumble, as its far superior for just audio.

It also has positional audio for GW2, which is really cool.

People's voices come from where their characters are in relation to you 😄

These days, I run a Raspberry Pi as a low-power Mumble server, that also doubles-up as a Quake 1 / Quake 3 game server.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
More Mumbly lovin'
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I had plenty of issues over the years with Teamspeak, mumble and vent as well.  You're making it sound like discord has issues but all the other ones are fine. That's not my experience.

A lot of issues with TS, Mumble, and Ventrillo are generally due to how the servers are s et up with t heir bots and such first than issues with the program itself.

• Haha 1

Yeah, every company wants your cellphone number nowadays and are ultra pushy and stubborn about it. To make it more annoying they want one with very specific service since free ones even if linked to your home phone like google are refused for verification. Annoying. Didn't used to be like that. Sorry that you're pewp out of luck. If it helps, your government and China probably know everything about you already including your DNA and fetishes so if you have an acceptable phone number you mine as well hand it over. There's no escape.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

but that is not a Discord requirement. It is a setting by particular servers for ...

when the verification level is set to Highest for Moderation.

For the activities OP is describing there isn't really any need to send text to the channels or initiate direct message conversations since in most cases the voice chat is just for follow/coordinate some instructions.

I had the same problem with discord itself though. I was trying to get into a server that had that requirement and it wasn't taking my phone number. When I tried later to get into discord, I was locked out of ALL my discords. I had to put in a number into discord and discord wasn't taking my Australian phone number. I did some research online and it's an actual thing. I had to contact discord customer service to take care of it. It took a bit.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

A lot of issues with TS, Mumble, and Ventrillo are generally due to how the servers are s et up with t heir bots and such first than issues with the program itself.

Nope I had issues with the programs themselves.  People that couldn't hear other people in one case. People who couldn't get in no matter what.  The fact is, over all, I've had less issues with Discord than any of the others.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Nope I had issues with the programs themselves.  People that couldn't hear other people in one case. People who couldn't get in no matter what.  The fact is, over all, I've had less issues with Discord than any of the others.

All of those are issues with the server, which, again, is a problem with who set it up, lol.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

All of those are issues with the server, which, again, is a problem with who set it up, lol.

You're wrong even if you put lol at the end of your post. Trying to discredit my personal experience without having experienced it isn't going to get you far. Doing even minimal research would show you that once your account has been locked (which happened to the OP  and me) discord requires a phone number to unlock it. Not a specific server. Discord.

Here's one post about it: https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/1500001194821-Discord-now-requires-your-personal-phone-number-to-use-Discord-after-account-is-locked-Something-s-going-on-here-error-

The first answer on this link is from discord itself. It acknowledges in some cases, discord requires a personal phone number.

There are more, but you get the idea.  Yes, I am computer literate.  Yes, I know the difference between a server and the company that hosts the servers. And yes, discord the company required me to provide my phone number to restore my account. And then wouldn't accept my Australian phone number. That's another search you can do there, are plenty of complaints about it.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Uh, Vayne, I think Sir Alymer was talking about the other services, NOT Discord.

And he's right there. If people are having problems connecting or with their audio when using to a TS/Vent/Mumble server, it's either a client or server configuration problem.

I keep my Mumble server as basic as possible, but a friend who runs a TS server for our ARMA sessions has all sorts of problems thanks to plugins for positional audio, squad communications, terrain reception interference, etc.

Making sure everyone has all the right plugins and version installed is an eternal headache in that scenario.

But as with Mumble, if you strip TS back and run it in "OOTB (out-of-the-box)" mode, it's pretty reliable.

Sir Alymer's points are very much about community servers that have added needless third party addons, thereby decreasing reliability and compatibility.

Mumble, being FOSS (Free Open Source Software), is incredibly reliable these days, and is increasingly being used by software developers in professional environments as the backbone for their VOIP communications.

I know of one developer who makes broadcast NDI systems for capturing baseband video over networks that has embedded Mumble in his product to allow for in-built talkback functionality. That product in particular is used by Formula 1.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, Shangri La.6237 said:

Except i can't, why? because Discord 'claim' i flagged their security system and that i am using a proxy or VPN ( i am not) now they refuse verification even though i am clearly human as i am chatting with their customer service!

Yeah, that's the problem with (free) services from big companies/corporations. Sometimes there are false positives like the above and then you run just against a wall. Happened to friends with Discord, Microsoft and Github that they were flagged automatically for some security violation (they did nothing of that).

With Discord it is was much easier for a friend to create a new account than to re-activate his existing account. So, if you create a Discord server make sure to have an alt-account with all server-permissions as a backup plan.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:26 PM, Westenev.5289 said:

This is coming from a person who can't use discord because there's too much background noise irl for my mic to pick up anything.

It's Ok if you don't want to use it, but if it is only because you have too much background noise for your own mic: You can mute your mic (a lot of players do this). Just listening to the voice com can be very helpful in challenging fights.

• Like 1