Requesting Inherent Discord Compatibility for Guild Wars 2

I know that there are programs like gw2rp (guild wars 2 rich presence) that do this but I feel like it should just be an inherent thing that the game does. Discord plays a major role in the social aspects that go along with the game and most other major games have good integration with Discord. I'm not sure of the difficulty to set this up, but I think it could help to bring a little extra something to the game, maybe even bring in new players seeing their friends play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

I dont want to see any cooperation with other softwares.

Cause when companies do so there will be an agreement between them, suddenly GW2 will read your discord contacts, match them with your ingame contacts, read your cookies to check with whom you are on facebook also to check what other games you play or which kind of adverts you can  suddenly get here when visiting forums...

Oh Please, Please, Please, leave me alone with this new age data dustbin nonsense!!!!!!!

The glassy gamer will not lead to me buy any more crap on any online salesplattform.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

All you really need is a way for people to be able to copy-paste the little links out of the text box. (Retyping that stuff by hand to join a new group's server is a pain in the butt.)

you do know that you just need the last 6 letters, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Rather than GW2 working better with Discord, I think people should rely less on Discord.

A game should not be bend to fit around an optional, auxiliary program.

I'm not exactly advocating that people should rely more or less on Discord, it's something that happens and something that many do use. Whether they have the integration or not doesn't hurt people who don't rely on discord. It's just that Guild Wars 2 doesn't have the integration that many other games do. WoW, Payday 2, Warframe, Divinity Original Sin, Killing Floor 2, osu, Unturned, and many more have this feature. It would just be nice if base gw2 had a bit more info on discord.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Rather than GW2 working better with Discord, I think people should rely less on Discord.

A game should not be bend to fit around an optional, auxiliary program.

Yeah we should instead just use GW2 ingame voice comms...oh wait

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Home internet bandwidths are good enough these days that it's very easy to run your own Mumble server. I run one 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi which also doubles up as a Quake server.

Sever the reliance on third-party products where your information is the commodity!

FREE YOUR VOICE!

Ahem, sorry about that, getting out my inner Dredge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

By not having any integration of voice chat, Anet absolves themselves of any responsibility for what happens in voice chat.  The moment it becomes part of the game, they are at least partly responsible if certain players abuse the system.

At least with text chat, you can do a screenshot and send it to support (and they can then verify from their data that you did not forge the screenshot).  I'm not sure what you could with voice chat - record everything and send the recording to Anet?  There are then probably legal implications if Anet records all voice chat to verify cases of abuse (it overhearing background noise for those that have not agreed to be recorded).

• Like 3

I think that @Acemos.2856 meant to simply have native support for Discord Rich Presence (DRP) within Guild Wars 2. This would be a feature baked into the game that will show what area you are in at all times and what character you are playing on your Discord profile for friends to see. They get this data from the public API, thus all these comments about 3rd Party Malware and Meta-Data Collectors are not true since the data is already public and free for anyone to use. Additionally, people can always disable DRP through Discord settings.

Edited by Dainank.1308
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dainank.1308 said:

I think @Acemos.2856 meant to simply have native support for Discord Rich Presence. This is simply a tool that will show what area you are in and what character you are playing. They get this data from the public API, thus all these comments about 3rd Party Malware and Meta-Data Collectors is not true since the data is already public and free for anyone to use.

Thank you, Dainank, for making it clearer for others. This is what I was getting at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1