The importance of language

Good point, but it will cost a TON of money to redo the voice acting in a new language. Subtitles only would be cheaper to realize but it is still quite an effort and you will need to make future content as well as game support in that language as well.

So, this is not a small thing to implement well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I just asked questions? How is this not putting forward points? Just because you don't like a replie, don't make them less valuable.

And yes, sorry, when someone insults other or me i often get sarcastic. I don't like to insult people, but i also don't like to comfort them :). I saw your'e deleted post's. I thought you wanted to move on from this when you don't relpied to my sarcasm so i try'd to also answer mannered. So like above, just because you don't like an answer makes it less valuable.

So, have a nice day.

You still don't understand what I'm talking about.
I suggest you yourself as a opener to create an article about game, not always reply under people's article and sarcasm them.
And yes, what a coincidence, we both don't like to comfort people.
And Please tell me what reply I deleted?
Why didn't I know about this. lol

Edited by Loic.9657
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

16 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Good point, but it will cost a TON of money to redo the voice acting in a new language. Subtitles only would be cheaper to realize but it is still quite an effort and you will need to make future content as well as game support in that language as well.

So, this is not a small thing to implement well.

That's true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

For those who objected to this topic or suggestion, I believe the writer of this post was trying to convey one Main point , which is more language options , specially mandarin so more expansion to the players in Asia, which can be a very good influence on this game since it’s very underated in Asia countries, and it’s a shame it didn’t get as much as attention as it should since GW2 is a very good game… probably the reason these haven’t implemented is because of the $$$, but I agree that I hope in near future there will be more language options available so more players from other country will get the chance to play it  since not everyone knows how to speak English fluently …. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, momosang.2657 said:

For those who objected to this topic or suggestion, I believe the writer of this post was trying to convey one Main point , which is more language options , specially mandarin so more expansion to the players in Asia, which can be a very good influence on this game since it’s very underated in Asia countries, and it’s a shame it didn’t get as much as attention as it should since GW2 is a very good game… probably the reason these haven’t implemented is because of the $$$, but I agree that I hope in near future there will be more language options available so more players from other country will get the chance to play it  since not everyone knows how to speak English fluently …. 

Thank you.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Loic.9657 said:

I was a businessman who traded between Asia and U.S.

I can speak both Mandarin and English(although not quite well as westerns),  so I totally agree that learning English is a good thing.
But here is the thing, part of asian agree this opinion, others are not. (especially Japanese)
The population and the market in Asia is too big that they actually don't need it, which according the international business you said.
Will you be willing to learn Chinese because 1/5 of the world's population is using it?
The highest chance of meeting someone who speaks Chinese if you travel around the world.
If you won't, maybe you should stop thinking logic from western point of view, but from world.

If my desire in something that's only available in chinese language is big enough- yes, absolutelty. 

On the other hand, a chinese company that wants to sell their stuff in the US or EU will likely put effort into some localization, if they think (or calculated) it's worth the effort.

Now count 1+1 together and you'll probably know, why Arena.Net has no plans for additional localizations...

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Nash.2681 said:

What's still beyond me- what's so bad about learning at least basic english? It benefits you in so many ways, be it for international business, for holidays or just for using the internet- english is used almost everywhere and often the smallest common denominator when it comes to languages. Yet some think it's a bad thing when a game just has few costly localizations instead of taking the opportunity to learn some english while playing.

(and before false accusations kick in: I'm not a native english speaker myself)

Yeah sure just learn English lol. Anet is a big company with dozen of leads and producers. I mean sure f the voice lines(that IS expensive). But there is no reason a company with 100+ employees can´t commission one guy to localize the text of the game. Would even help people learn the language: Hear English, read the translation.

Arena net doesn´t have peak Blizzard kinds of money. But people in the forum and the company itself do act sometimes like its just 5 guys in a basement.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Yeah sure just learn English lol. Anet is a big company with dozen of leads and producers. I mean sure f the voice lines(that IS expensive). But there is no reason a company with 100+ employees can´t commission one guy to localize the text of the game. Would even help people learn the language: Hear English, read the translation.

Arena net doesn´t have peak Blizzard kinds of money. But people in the forum and the company itself do act sometimes like its just 5 guys in a basement.

And then they just have to hire some support staff that can take care of the request from that region and put up another forum for that language etc.

It adds up it will never be just 1 guy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And then they just have to hire some support staff that can take care of the request from that region and put up another forum for that language etc.

It adds up it will never be just 1 guy.

That is indeed true. Also <liquidity of the region - Server cost>plays a role as there aren´t any subfees. Will there be a wiki? And a thousand more Details. There are a lot of reason why they could or not could do it.

But looking from the outside the main reason seems they don't want to invest in anything.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:46 AM, Loic.9657 said:

maybe you should stop thinking logic from western point of view, but from world.

Not necessarily when it is a western company producing a product designed to appeal to a western market with western cultural preferences.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

That is indeed true. Also <liquidity of the region - Server cost>plays a role as there aren´t any subfees. Will there be a wiki? And a thousand more Details. There are a lot of reason why they could or not could do it.

But looking from the outside the main reason seems they don't want to invest in anything.

But where would this stop?

Sure you can say, the biggest languages should be in the game. But how does this stop other people from guilt-bashin GW2?
Should anet just invest in the languages which where ask over the last few month and ignore everything which comes up the next months? How should they handle this?

English is in fact the one Universal Language. I know a lot of people(me including) which language is in GW2 and even then, they use the english version because with english you can communicate with a wider audience and all the important stuff in GW2 are called out in english. I don't know how big anet und gw2 really is what money concerns, but i know that for me personally there are a lot bigger things anet has to concer marketing- and developingwise than investing in other language-support for the game.

Only anet has numbers and statistic and only anet knows which investemt is good and not(i hope so).

I'am not against this perse. I totaly understand the demand for this. I understand the demand for a lot of suggestion made in this forum. I personally had a lot of suggestion for anet. But there is only so much anet can do in 24h with their staff. And at the moment, this is my personal view, anet has a ton of plans and investments that they work on and at the same time begin the normal circle of abadoning old stuff. And i wish anet would stop this and concentrate on a balanced gamedevelopment than on a few people, asking for language-support.

But both things we will probaly never see. But if so, i would be happy either way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But where would this stop?

Where should it start is the better question my friend. Pls tell me how could Anet do any less then they do now? Language pack is not the hill I´m dieing on. But what do they actually do?

Of course they can´t do any little request that does pop up. But what do they implement? Could they get away with anything less then they are already doing?

They wont do a language pack not because it may not be profitable. They just don´t invest in anything at all. Or it at least seems that way. 

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Where should it start is the better question my friend. Pls tell me how could Anet do any less then they do now? Language pack is not the hill I´m dieing on. But what do they actually do?

Of course they can´t do any little request that does pop up. But what do they implement? Could they get away with anything less then they are already doing?

The question is, what means less for you means a lot for others.

They actually work on LS1 and other stuff. This is big news for a lot of people.

Or what do you mean?

Edit: i mean sure, you can debate about the output of content. But i can't really talk about this. I have no idea how big anet is and how much work stuff needs to be done. 

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

The question is, what means less for you means a lot for others.

They actually work on LS1 and other stuff. This is big news for a lot of people.

Or what do you mean?

PvP rots.

WvW somewhat of a selling feature is in maintance.

New spec while cool looking are uninspired at best.

Strikes the new hip group content is just reused story assets.

Even OW it is the same events just with with new paint. In case of dragon end, literally.

Of course they work on something otherwise the game dies in a couple of months.

Could they stop developing LW seasons without closing the company? No.

Could they stop doing the occasional balance patches without a big portion of the player base leaving? No.

They do the bare minimum so they don't have to shut down the game altogether while making  more then enough money to invest in SOMETHING. But they don´t.

Is there anything they do they don't have to do to keep the company running?

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

29 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

PvP rots.

Even OW it is the same events just with with new paint. In case of dragon end, literally.

Could they stop doing the occasional balance patches without a big portion of the player base leaving? No.

They do the bare minimum so they don't have to shut down the game altogether while making  more then enough money to invest in SOMETHING. But they don´t.

This thread is about language-support ^^

The other topics are fair and i'm fully with you. But yeah, when you want to talk about this, than have a nice day ... or when you live in europe like me, a good night.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Fuchslein.8639 said:

The other topics are fair and i'm fully with you. But yeah, when you want to talk about this, than have a nice day ... or when you live in europe like me, a good night.

They don't make a language pack not because they may or may not be profitable. They don't make them because anet is not interested in investing or expanding in general.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

5 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

To be fair, this thread is about increasing development spending on the game (one specific aspect) and his response is about how he sees developer investment in the game already going.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

They don't make a language pack not because they may or may not be profitable. They don't make them because anet is not interested in investing or expanding in general.

If Anet is not interested in expanding or growing why are they working on a steam launch, developing expansions, returning LS1, working on wvw restructuring (heh, you got me on that one), etc ?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If Anet is not interested in expanding or growing why are they working on a steam launch, developing expansions, returning LS1, working on wvw restructuring (heh, you got me on that one), etc ?

Well many points. You got me in LS1. That is indeed an investment they do but should have done years ago. As someone who started after pof not having LW1 and 2 just kills the story completely as you are missing all context. And if they want to keep any new customer with the steam release they have to fix that.

Speaking of steam release. How long is that in the works now? 2 Years? longer?

Apparently delayed because of the expansion. Could they have delayed the expansion without losing a sizeable portion of the player base over time? I think not. Remember ibs should have been the expansion like LW season. Even got a cool name and all.

Of course they develop content they have to, it is an mmo.

They just don't develop any piece of content they aren't forced to develop.

They indeed try a little to expand with the stream release, but even then it seems like they are dragging their feet doing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

26 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

And just took DX11 out of beta (but still working out the kinks)?  Working on more Cantha maps?  New Player improvements?  Challenge Mode Strikes?  Legendary Weapon variants? Etc. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 5:19 AM, Albi.7250 said:

PvP rots.

Very true.
And believers never admit that.

Back to the topic, If, as they say, the extra language doesn't make sense, why would they have a China special edition?
For a product to break into the world, it must at least gain a firm foothold in Eastern and Western countries. This is a very basic truth, you know, I know, and they know that too.
They're doing it now like someone who loves steak, but doesn't get paid enough to pay for the steak, so he buys beef jerky and tells people that he doesn't like steak and steak isn't economical.
The funniest thing is that people believed it.

Edited by Loic.9657
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Loic.9657 said:

For a product to break into the world, it must at least gain a firm foothold in Eastern and Western countries.

Do you honestly think that for a game that is almost 10 years old, now is the time to "break into the world"?

I could understand your reasoning if we were talking about a relatively new game that still has to make or break it, but this game seems to have been doing fine with its target audience for 10 years. Why exactly should they risk investing a decent chunk of money on the off-chance of suddenly luring a ton of customers to play (and keep playing) something old instead of all those new-fangled games popping up everywhere?

I'm sure there are people who would start playing this game if it were available in a different language (portugese and russian are frequently being requested on this forum for example), but I seriously doubt those would be anywhere near enough to offset the extra implementation and maintenance costs at this time in the game's lifecycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1