Hs Low Intensity Build Competition - No more excuses for low DPS, please!

2 hours ago, Despot.3048 said:

I'm surprised the amount of time you spend kittening on the game that you have time to log in.

If i didn't login i'd i wouldn't know to complain about the poor direction and design the latest expansion of the game currently offers..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

A few thoughts from a casual player.

These builds are awesome and I appreciative them.  As someone said, being thrown off the platform, knocked down, or a variety of other effects is what makes it hard to contribute better DPS, especially when you do not do the content very often.  Videos can take you so far.

However, what these builds do is to let me have full attention on my surroundings and look at what the bad guy are doing and react better to it, rather than dividing my attention on the bar to execute the dps rotation and be kicked in the kitten while not looking.    More time on target pays off.

One last thing, there are a few post complaining about the people who would complain against elitists, yet there are none in this thread.  Feels like unnecessary pre-emptive complaining about complaining...

Anyhow, thanks to the people trying to help, it does for my wife and I.   

Edited by Drall.2419
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Sweet.  My auto attack rev made it into the second vid.  I didn't make the submission, but it is my build.  While Herald has total higher modifiers, I prefer to use Renegade in non-group scenarios because it is better at self-buffing, capping both fury and might by itself.

This, however, highlights the big problem with these videos and this thread.  It is this specific build that I have been embroiled into heated debate over on two separate occasions.  There's a substantial enough section of players that really, really hate these kinds of builds.  It isn't just on the forums.  I've seen players in-game get kicked for trying these strategies.  Nearly all raid statics demand 80%-95% benchmark no matter what that number is, and low intensity builds don't get that high.  Because of this, I've found LI builds are only really useful if you're disabled or wandering around the overworld.  Otherwise, other people won't let you play that way.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/21/2022 at 6:01 PM, Raizel.8175 said:

Why was this moved to Instanced Group Content when LI builds are perfectly fine for open world - especially meta events - and story content too? Such a dumb move from the moderators... Especially so because LI builds could help people during events like DE or people who are trying to get into instanced content but won't browse the subforum...

Welcome to the forums. You must be new. 😛

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Man this thread is hilarious, "but the guy doesn't explain anything!" My brother in christ you can simply read the chosen traits and skills

Watching an hour long video AND reading traits and skills? Pffft! What elitism! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Don't get time i'm too busy dodging Aoes, or getting shot off the platform or getting put in bubbles or frozen.

ah, I see!

In that case it tends to help to avoid the orange AoE Fields, by stepping out of them. That tends to negate alot of potential damage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Raiders are not toxic just look at those sarcastic comment and answers 🙂.

On serious note though, Many raiders used to be toxic. But, it has calm down alot. Or, may be I have blocked over 300 raiders, so I don't see their toxic behavior anymore. I rather not do raids than play in such a hostile environment.

Best way to find out if Raiders are toxic or not, Ask to do Deimos with range strategy after wiping 3 times and someone get all macho = block on my list.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

ah, I see!

In that case it tends to help to avoid the orange AoE Fields, by stepping out of them. That tends to negate alot of potential damage

It does, i'm sure dodging them with out the 260-300 ping time would be way better, but alas my distance can't get closer and Anet wont make it easier so my dps stays at 3k. Not to mention my fps go down to the teens with so many people spamming stuff..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

It does, i'm sure dodging them with out the 260-300 ping time would be way better, but alas my distance can't get closer and Anet wont make it easier so my dps stays at 3k. Not to mention my fps go down to the teens with so many people spamming stuff..

Stability, considering how many complaints I see about Guardian boonspam I'm suprised people would rather dodge something you can just avoid with Stability or Aegis alltogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

aha! Now we're getting to the real issue! 300 Ping is almost unplayable, I agree that I probably wouldn't be able to play well with that delay either.

But tbh that has nothing to do with the encounter itself

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Yellow Rainbow.6142 said:

Raiders are not toxic just look at those sarcastic comment and answers 🙂.

On serious note though, Many raiders used to be toxic. But, it has calm down alot. Or, may be I have blocked over 300 raiders, so I don't see their toxic behavior anymore. I rather not do raids than play in such a hostile environment.

Best way to find out if Raiders are toxic or not, Ask to do Deimos with range strategy after wiping 3 times and someone get all macho = block on my list.

That and what changed was the focus on low intensity builds, players from other MMOs coming over and giving GW2 a try and succeeding where some veterans players have been struggling with for years and a general more streamlined direction of content releases with multiple difficulties.

There has always been low intensity builds (to be fair though, they were never pushed as hard as now in the past and as such not as easily found).

There has always been the general notion that the content is not that difficult once players spend some time to improve and/or use guides.

In recent weeks/months the push for builds which make content more accessible and completable has essentially shut down all but the most hardcore nay sayers. It becomes rather difficult, or rather hilarious to read, to defend not being able to produce decent dps or support when there are builds around which do that and more on auto attack or 10-15 APM (actions per minute) builds readily shared by the community.

So TL;DR:

In general the overall performance and willingness to provide such performance has increased game wide. Players who continue to live in their bubbel that "playing their way and others need to adapt to that (even if it is in absolute contrast to this games mechanics)" will lead to success have become a minority. This is reflected in the tone of reasonable positions exchanged on message boards, to some extent.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Man this thread is hilarious, "but the guy doesn't explain anything!" My brother in christ you can simply read the chosen traits and skills

Also there are links to the individual submission videos, and in the main video he gushes whenever one of them incorporates a detailed guide.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

There's a substantial enough section of players that really, really hate these kinds of builds.  It isn't just on the forums.  I've seen players in-game get kicked for trying these strategies.  Nearly all raid statics demand 80%-95% benchmark no matter what that number is, and low intensity builds don't get that high.  Because of this, I've found LI builds are only really useful if you're disabled or wandering around the overworld.

Yeah. That's something I don't understand either. Especially in training or low LI/KP squads, people should be fine with LI builds. In such squads you'll most likely do more damage with a LI build than some very intricate and complex build. What people don't seem to understand is that mechanics will ruin complex rotations. No matter how high golem DPS is, raid bosses aren't golems. I dare say that some of these LI builds mentioned in that competition will easily outdamage more complex builds/rotations. LI Mechanist is probably especially noteworthy in that regard. Back when Soulbeast was implemented, I had some very solid experiences with Shortbow/Shortbow-Soulbeast. I still don't get why that build is still infamous. Is it human nature? Jealousy that those easy builds can trump the complex build you're playing?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Yeah. That's something I don't understand either. Especially in training or low LI/KP squads, people should be fine with LI builds. In such squads you'll most likely do more damage with a LI build than some very intricate and complex build. What people don't seem to understand is that mechanics will ruin complex rotations. No matter how high golem DPS is, raid bosses aren't golems. I dare say that some of these LI builds mentioned in that competition will easily outdamage more complex builds/rotations. LI Mechanist is probably especially noteworthy in that regard. Back when Soulbeast was implemented, I had some very solid experiences with Shortbow/Shortbow-Soulbeast. I still don't get why that build is still infamous. Is it human nature? Jealousy that those easy builds can trump the complex build you're playing?

If you want to be technical, it is entitlements.  Raiders tend to be wannabe speedrunners, and this distorts their perspective on how they regard other players.  They don't see peak performance as the exception, but as the default.  Because of this, they regard anything less than peak performance as a personal affront.  It steals away their precious time that they're owed.  In a similar regard, they associate harder rotations with more skilled players, which means a better performance.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

If i didn't login i'd i wouldn't know to complain about the poor direction and design the latest expansion of the game currently offers..

Nothing poor about that, you just refuse to learn the mechanics of the game you're playing, possibly because you're too preoccupied with just repeating "mechanics bad!".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

If you want to be technical, it is entitlements.  Raiders tend to be wannabe speedrunners, and this distorts their perspective on how they regard other players.  They don't see peak performance as the exception, but as the default.  Because of this, they regard anything less than peak performance as a personal affront.  It steals away their precious time that they're owed.  In a similar regard, they associate harder rotations with more skilled players, which means a better performance.  

I wouldn't generalize "raiders". The raiding community is rather diverse. Even people like Teapot are in favor of these LI builds. In all honesty, considering what I'm used to, I'm already happy if stuff doesn't turn into a total clownfiesta. xD

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

aha! Now we're getting to the real issue! 300 Ping is almost unplayable, I agree that I probably wouldn't be able to play well with that delay either.

But tbh that has nothing to do with the encounter itself

Its called Australia... sadly we don't get our own servers.

7 hours ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Yes it is jealousy, go to the Engi forums and see the Mechanist is breaking the game threads, its hilarious.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Stability, considering how many complaints I see about Guardian boonspam I'm suprised people would rather dodge something you can just avoid with Stability or Aegis alltogether.

I'm not a guardian.. I don't even like Guardian its too weak these days. I don't like melee classes.

• Confused 4

5 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Yes it is jealousy, go to the Engi forums and see the Mechanist is breaking the game threads, its hilarious.

Not really. Mechanist is overpowered and does need some adjustments.

4 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

I'm not a guardian.. I don't even like Guardian its too weak these days. I don't like melee classes.

Guardian and weak? Guardian - at least Firebrand and Willbender - are still overpowered and could use some adjustments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

I don't even like Guardian its too weak these days

lol? Saying you don't like it, sure that's subjective.

But claiming its too weak? It's one of the few classes that has good power dps, condi dps, Quickness on either Heal or DPS builds and alac on either condi or power dps builds. All it lost was a bit aegis generation and thats it. Its absolutely not weak

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 5/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, Raizel.8175 said:

Not really. Mechanist is overpowered and does need some adjustments.

Guardian and weak? Guardian - at least Firebrand and Willbender - are still overpowered and could use some adjustments.

Mesmer, Specter, Necro, Engi and Ranger all out damage and have better survivability than Guardian these days.. Not sure how you can consider it good.. Its at the bottom with Revenant and Warrior.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

9 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Mesmer, Specter, Necro, Engi and Ranger all out damage and have better survivability than Guardian these days.. Not sure how you can consider it good.. Its at the bottom with Revenant and Warrior.

Please what? Guardian is exceptionally powerful - both in damage potential and survivability. Both cFB and cWB sit comfortably at ~40k DPS and both have a rather easy rotation meaning that they're more likely to reach those ~40k DPS in actual encounters than other builds with more complex rotations and similar damage potential. That's especially true for Willbender on which you only have to use F1 off CD and then bash your skull into your keyboard for massive damage. For high survivability builds on Guardian, you may want to check Lord Hizens builds on his yt channel. Those are exceptionally powerful for solo open world gameplay while still keeping decent damage potential.

I won't deny that other classes aren't powerful, but it really seems like you're intentionally downplaying Guardian. Guardian has a very powerful toolkit and is inherently broken due to only being reliant on burning. That's what makes cDPS Guardian both cheaper than other cDPS builds and allows for a more diverse damage composition than other cDPS builds - you do have a certain amount of pDPS damage after all with your usual cDPS Guardian builds.

Considering damage potential: Virtuosu sits at ~41k DPS, similar to Willbender and Firebrand, is more expensive (Writ of Masterful Accuracy hurts...) though if you want to play ideally and also relies on resource management (blade stacks) and Crits, which Guardian doesn't. Harbinger sits at ~41k DPS, similar to Willbender and Firebrand, relies on managing two resources (Blight and Life Force) though and features a more complex rotation. Ranger only sits at ~37k DPS with a rather annoying and scuffed cDPS build and a more complex rotation than Guardian. Specter sits at ~40k DPS, is more expensive than Guardian though and also needs allies to reach that potential. I won't deny that Mechanist is broken and could use some adjustments. TL;DR: I don't get why Guardian is supposed to be weak. Guardian is one of the strongest and and also one of the more versatile classes of the game. No offense intended, but maybe this is simply a l2p issue on your part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Please what? Guardian is exceptionally powerful - both in damage potential and survivability. Both cFB and cWB sit comfortably at ~40k DPS and both have a rather easy rotation meaning that they're more likely to reach those ~40k DPS in actual encounters than other builds with more complex rotations and similar damage potential. That's especially true for Willbender on which you only have to use F1 off CD and then bash your skull into your keyboard for massive damage. For high survivability builds on Guardian, you may want to check Lord Hizens builds on his yt channel. Those are exceptionally powerful for solo open world gameplay while still keeping decent damage potential.

I won't deny that other classes aren't powerful, but it really seems like you're intentionally downplaying Guardian. Guardian has a very powerful toolkit and is inherently broken due to only being reliant on burning. That's what makes cDPS Guardian both cheaper than other cDPS builds and allows for a more diverse damage composition than other cDPS builds - you do have a certain amount of pDPS damage after all with your usual cDPS Guardian builds.

Considering damage potential: Virtuosu sits at ~41k DPS, similar to Willbender and Firebrand, is more expensive (Writ of Masterful Accuracy hurts...) though if you want to play ideally and also relies on resource management (blade stacks) and Crits, which Guardian doesn't. Harbinger sits at ~41k DPS, similar to Willbender and Firebrand, relies on managing two resources (Blight and Life Force) though and features a more complex rotation. Ranger only sits at ~37k DPS with a rather annoying and scuffed cDPS build and a more complex rotation than Guardian. Specter sits at ~40k DPS, is more expensive than Guardian though and also needs allies to reach that potential. I won't deny that Mechanist is broken and could use some adjustments. TL;DR: I don't get why Guardian is supposed to be weak. Guardian is one of the strongest and and also one of the more versatile classes of the game. No offense intended, but maybe this is simply a l2p issue on your part.

Already tried Lord Hizens build it was lackluster.. Sorry i disagree Guardian is trash these days, try running scepter and torch and see how well you do 40k dps.. Actually try running anything outside of Firebrand axe or greatsword.

Sword wasn't very successful.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 1