Returning player NA WvW - where did the population go? Discussion

Redmezz.2065

On 7/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, Redknot.1042 said:

Strikes, new zones/stories, raids, etc. have taken their dev time and WvW has always lingered.

Must be where the money is being made.  WvW doesn't appear to have enough incentive for Anet to put more resources into it.

• 2 weeks later...

What we don't want in WvW: Boon Blob meta as the only way to play. 

Anet's balance team over the past year: Buffs boon blob meta and nerfs ways to combat it while also making it harder for roamers to get participation by removing ways to gain it outside of a boon ball. 

Wvw: dies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Ransom.1362 said:

The sad thing is wvw has so, so much potential. They could turn it into something so much more than it already is, and there's so many good ideas out there already. Lack of ambition, I guess

They had 10 years to make it better, and guild claiming, tactics and improvements were a great step in the right direction. 
The desert map was... is beautiful and complex with amazing and unique towers, but the mode didn't need beautiful and complex, it needed strategically and logistically important locations.

The desert map brought us the cog collection event. It's arguable that WvW has PvE elements, but this was beyond the pale. 

Anet's vision for WvW wasn't ... right. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Svarty.8019 said:

They had 10 years to make it better, and guild claiming, tactics and improvements were a great step in the right direction. 
The desert map was... is beautiful and complex with amazing and unique towers, but the mode didn't need beautiful and complex, it needed strategically and logistically important locations.

The desert map brought us the cog collection event. It's arguable that WvW has PvE elements, but this was beyond the pale. 

About the desert map, it's just way to much to the game, and the aditions that Anet have done to the game are more idiotic and slacker mechanics than good and interesting mechanics.

the red bl would be OK and mazing if Anet were clever in its mechanics and content added to wvw, since its a gamemode they dont want to spend time working on it, it ended awfully implemented.

One of the things that wvw needs to lose its the transmogs, anything that is ment to siege should be builted from a blueprint in 1st place, and btw keeps should allow a specific unlock 1 built blueprint or buff (this would make keeps have their own flavor).

It is easy to improve WvW yet Anet keeps improving the low effort all perma boon blob behavior,  join ktrain farm  and leave, ence and repeat....

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

it needed strategically and logistically important locations.

It's both Anet and the players.  Don't you remember all the complaints from players decrying about how garri can be trebbed from northern towers?  So Anet moved towers away from keeps and then implemented a barricade system on that map which was intended to make owning towers strategic.  Players hated it and the barricades got removed.

This isn't to defend Anet's design.  Only to say that the map wasn't designed only to be beautiful and that players got what they asked for.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

I never got the design for the north towers in desert, they don't even serve as checkpoints for north earth like the north towers do on alpine.. And this could be fixed if they put a wall up between earth and the nearby wall to separate the north and west/east walls(trying to remember if there was a barrier there before too), forcing players to go north for a north breach and turning the north towers into watch towers again. Especially for the double wall cata spot.

South towers were suppose to be the new waypoint areas instead of the side keeps and the checkpoint to the middle area, which again didn't make sense as it made the side keeps worthless in the process.

I remember barriers being extremely easy for a zerg to bust through, extreme hard for a roamer especially a condi roamer, so not sure the purpose of that if the map was suppose to be designed to break up zergs lol.

Still wish they would clean up the ground of all the impassable 2inch roots sticking up from the ground. If it's a desert then make it a desert, why the heck is there so many tree stumps around.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

Guild claiming made the gamemode staler since the stats are overtuned (Difference between fighting near friendly vs enemy tower/camp is like +15% damage dealt and -15% damage taken). Dragon banner, airship, watchtower and cloaking waters are still promoting clouds and too devastating towards any newer player.

Yes it was step in right direction but usually games nerf overpowered things after sales spike. No reason to have all these no brain things that allow you to win almost everytime in the game.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

players got what they asked for.

but how did they get it, what is the secret to getting something of what you ask, they used some tricks, a magic formula, I'd like to know. I have lost count of how many people and how many times I have seen asking for a rework for EU server without a link , the same goes for how many times I have seen ask for revisions for the management of transfers. but nothing has ever been achieved. maybe you have to ask in Chinese? 😅

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:48 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

but how did they get it, what is the secret to getting something of what you ask, they used some tricks, a magic formula, I'd like to know. 

From my observation, if a lot of people ask for something at the same time, they're more likely to get it.

This should help explain why the game has drifted inevitably towards the unstoppable-karmatrain meta. People complained about all the things that could stop it;

Arrow Carts, Dragon Banners, even Walls! All the defensive stuff got nerfed to hell and back because of great swathes of whiners complainants on the forum.

So now whenever we lose stuff I say, "/shrug, they complained about it on the forum until anet made defending pointless". Now I have all the excuses in the world when my team "fails".

Edited by Svarty.8019

5 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

From my observation, if a lot of people ask for something at the same time, they're more likely to get it.

This should help explain why the game has drifted inevitably towards the unstoppable-karmatrain meta. People complained about all the things that could stop it;

Arrow Carts, Dragon Banners, even Walls! All the defensive stuff got nerfed to hell and back because of great swathes of whiners complainants on the forum.

So now whenever we lose stuff I say, "/shrug, they complained about it on the forum until anet made defending pointless". Now I have all the excuses in the world when my team "fails".

Hm.. I don't think everything was complained about that hard in the forums.

Dragon banners? sure lots of warranted complaints there, certainly gave big groups more firepower, more so than some random pug trying to save a tower.

Fighting under siege? hmm who complained more... the pugs? the ones who actually would be using said siege?, or the "fite guilds"? who hate fighting under siege.. hmm.

Wall health? excuse was they wanted fights to happen more often on inner rather than outer, now who would complain about that I wonder.... fite guilds.. and who has had private ear bending for all these years I wonder... fite guilds.

Who are currently running around in wvw like unstoppable-karmatrains.... /drumroll fite guilds!