Upgrading Exotic equipment to Ascended equipment

I think it can seem pretty daunting at first. Mostly I also think once one gets down the road a bit and figures out the stats and build they like to run people can run into challenges getting certain stat combos. For the most part, its just a matter of figuring out the cheapest/best path to obtaining the ascended slot + stat combo you want. Sometimes the most obvious method like crafting may not be the best option, for instance.

I think its probably fine as is, but I wouldnt necessarily object to maybe adding a new item that more reliably extracts spectific upgrade items like inscriptions, but it would probably need to come with a cost and limitations. Like a gemshop item, black lion chest rng item, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

I am curious why this guide so highly recommends jumping at ascended trinkets but not ascended anything else.

"Totally to fine to use Exotic gear in anything but T4 Fractals but you MUST get ascended trinkets."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

I am curious why this guide so highly recommends jumping at ascended trinkets but not ascended anything else.

"Totally to fine to use Exotic gear in anything but T4 Fractals but you MUST get ascended trinkets."

Because Rings have up to 3 Infusion Slots each. The 5 (Backpiece, Accessory, Ring) Accessories account for 9 Infusion Slots, Weapons account for 2, and Armor accounts for 6.

You can also get ascended armor from Icebrood Saga Strikes just as easily as LWS3/LWS4 trinkets, but the time it takes is definitely longer.

Edited by Xerxez.7361
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

To be fair - it is incredibly easy to get ascended trinkets with living world 3/4 and IBS. You can also do up to T3 with just asc trinkets, perhaps that's why?

3 hours ago, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

what the other 2 said + they give more stat points compared to armor parts.

• Like 2

I'm not sure this is really necessary.  Making ascended armor is pretty straight-forward, and you can always buy the ingredients if you need to speed up the process.  You just need to craft daily and make sure you have the mats you need for the next day.

I say this as a player with 71 characters.  Ever since ascended armor/weapons/trinkets came out, I've been gathering map currency, mats and making pieces for my characters.   This last week, I completed ascended items for all of them.  All weapons, trinkets, rings, backpacks, amulets and armors for 71 characters, including at least one underwater weapon and ascended breather,  are ascended or legendary.  (Off Topic: I have no idea if anyone else has that many characters in the first place, or if they also have their critters suited up the same as I do - most do legendaries.  I just found ascended to be far simpler.  And, yes, I have some OCD tendencies.).

It's been a bit of a grind, but it's not difficult by any stretch.  It just takes some planning and an hour or so per day for mat gathering.  Most of that gathering can be done while doing other things like mapping, metas, waiting on world bosses to pop and stuff like that.  That's what I typically do.

With ascended armors and weapons so simple to do, overall, I don't see a compelling need to be able to upgrade exotics. Exotics are trivial to make.  Ascended armors aren't trivial, but then, they're account-bound, which is also very non-trivial.  If you want soul-bound ascended armor, that somewhat improves your stats from exotic, I could see that being a thing, even if (IMHO) it's a waste of mats to do if you can't equip the armor on any character within the armor class.  But I don't think it would be fair, or reasonable, to allow exotics to be upgraded to ascended armors with all of the characteristics ascended armor enjoys.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:38 PM, Kallan.4593 said:

Here is a thought, how about if there was a path for upgrading your existing Exotic armor/weapons/trinkets to Ascended armor/weapons/trinkets. An easy way to allow new and old players a way to upgrade their existing equipment.

Salvage exotics, add the remaining 99% of the materials and craft ascended gear. Upgraded!

Preferably have the materials ready before you salvage exotics, though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

For legendaries it's kind of there, but you keep the exotics. Gen 2 weapons, You make two exotic weapons, then an Ascended Precurser, then the legendary. Then the WvW armour, you need to unlock Triumphant, then you can get Triumphant Hero's Ascended. Then that can be upgraded to Legendary.

On 7/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

Trinkets, accessories, and rings are not restricted by profession.

If you have limited money, you can swap them between all of your characters, something you  can't do with armor or weapons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Game of Bones.8975 said:

Trinkets, accessories, and rings are not restricted by profession.

If you have limited money, you can swap them between all of your characters, something you  can't do with armor or weapons.

tbh I think it's less about that (although still a good point) and more about trinkets being relatively big stat gain for relatively low effort.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

Then the WvW armour, you need to unlock Triumphant, then you can get Triumphant Hero's Ascended. Then that can be upgraded to Legendary.

WARNIG

If you don't craft the marks and get them in the "legit" way:

You need 20x Grandmaster Mark for the whole armor set.

You need 10x Grandmaster Mark Shard to get 1 Grandmaster Mark

You get 3x Grandmaster Mark Shard per week.

That means 66.6 weeks.

A year have 52 weeks.

Spoiler

my wvw dude still have 2 pieces exotic medium after a year and half

meanwhile took a month to craft an ascended light set for my pve dude

😂

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, PinkTacoLover.7603 said:

That means 66.6 weeks.

A year have 52 weeks.

Or you know just craft them.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, PinkTacoLover.7603 said:

WARNIG

That means 66.6 weeks.

A year have 52 weeks.

Hide contents

my wvw dude still have 2 pieces exotic medium after a year and half

meanwhile took a month to craft an ascended light set for my pve dude

😂

i didn't say not to craft the marks. Craft most, but whenever you need one and have 10 shards can get one that way.

For ascended pieces, I had a full ascended set before I went for legendary, you can get 1-2 pieces a week crafting the marks when needed. Then upgrading to legendary takes about 3 weeks a piece.

Trinkets have high availability, low price, high impact.
Armor has meh availability, high price, medium impact.
Weapon has good availability, high price, high impact. Higher for power builds, too.

So, yeah. Get ascended trinkets; failing to do so is just being lazy.