Lighting is behaving oddly since last patch [Merged]

Hello, I've noticed the reflections in the water start clipping/moving around when I pan the camera in certain areas of Thousand Seas Pavilion.

Here's a link with clips of what I'm seeing: https://imgur.com/a/r19qYoa

I've only discovered those two spots, but it's pretty jarring when it happens. Can't relax and enjoy those scenic areas. 😞

I don't ever remember seeing it happen before a few days ago, so I think it's a new development.

• Thanks 1

Yup, same exact issues here, just coming back after being gone a bit and its all over the place.  Lights just switching on and off depending on camera angle and position.  Seems odd we haven't heard from an admin on this.  Super easy to reproduce.  

On 7/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

This is what currently happens in the Hoelbrak home instance when you turn the camera at certain spots: https://i.imgur.com/aVV9zyY.jpg

These are only two spots of many in said instance. And it's not the only location where this is happening...

You don't even need to turn the camera, simply walking towards the Krait Obelisk in Hunter's Hearth (Hoelbrak home) results in the lighting suddenly turning very dark.

I've seen this weird lighting glitch occur in many locations: Divinity's Reach; Lion's Arch; Black Citadel; The Grove; Rata Sum; Hoelbrak; Plains of Ashford; Diessa Plateau; Queensdale; Gendarran Fields; Wayfarer Foothills; Lornar's Pass; Metrica Province; Caledon Forest; Brisban Wildlands; Bloodtide Coast; and several others! The main point is that it's NOT isolated to a few instances or locations, it's game-wide and can occur anywhere and everywhere!

10 days of this and, so far, A-net are completely silent (as usual) with absolutely nothing in regards to feedback! Are they investigating? Do they know what the cause is? Are they even aware of this? Who knows? Not the players because A-net never tells players anything anymore! Great game and all that, shame the studio can no longer be bothered to inform players as to what's happening! 😲 Never ceases to amaze me that so many game development studios are so happy to simply ignore the very people who are playing their games! 😲

Edited by Grizzly UK.1209
Correcting a typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Grizzly UK.1209 said:

The main point is that it's NOT isolated to a few instances or locations, it's game-wide and can occur anywhere and everywhere!

Exactly what I said in my post.

8 hours ago, Grizzly UK.1209 said:

Are they investigating? Do they know what the cause is? Are they even aware of this?

Past patches have shown that they often tend to remain silent about the majority of bugs that belong into the "Oopsie, we broke something!" category, unless they are game-breaking or stalling progress.

Their fixes are never mentioned in the patch notes, either: the long-time gravity bug was (band-aid) fixed quietly, the recent UI watch list bug was fixed quietly, and I bet this one will get fixed quietly as well.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:20 AM, Ariurotl.3718 said:

Rotating the camera in some areas (notably for me, in some parts of the Norn home instance) causes the place to go darker/shadier intermittently, depending on camera position. It's as if this "camera" is blocking the light. A very weird bug, never happened until the latest patch.

Water reflection of objects/scenery in Seitung Province rotates out of place and follows my screen movement sometimes after last patch.

I've noticed this a bit lately, and it's annoying and distracting more than anything else: have the camera pointed one way and everything is darkly lit; swing it slightly and everything goes bright.

Examples: two different scenes, just with the camera moved a fraction.

It may be a DX11 bug - I had tried turning it off and then back on again, but turning it off only seems to have taken effect on logging out and back in, not just clicking the toggle.

Edited by rotheche.2964
  • Like 1

I have noticed the same thing lately. Turn the camera just a little, and suddenly light sources are off.

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

DX11 option, not a bug.

Enable DX11 Rendering — If checked the game will use DirectX11 instead of DirectX9. Requires restarting the game for changes to take effect.

What does that mean? It is still a bug. DX11 surely is not meant to do that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Yello.3406 said:

I have noticed the same thing lately. Turn the camera just a little, and suddenly light sources are off.

And it's not restricted to DX11, happens to me in DX9 as well.

I noticed it happens when there's a secondary light source like a torch or fireplace.  The ambient lighting remains consistent but the secondary lighting comes and goes.  It does not appear to be limited to any area in the game, and I have replicated it in several different places across the map.

EDIT: I've also noticed that you can replicate the same bug on the same angle after moving the camera and returning it.  I have not yet tried to determine if that is consistent across log ins.

While I have no doubt they know about the bug, I don't know what value an in game bug report holds, so I am sending them about once a day  (I suspect that more often than that from a single player would be unhelpful).  My hope is that those bug reports include useful information for the devs and not just a screenshot.

Also, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and this lighting glitch has started to seriously impact my enjoyment of the game.

Edited by SenatorWiggles.9063
Additional information.

21 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

DX11 option, not a bug.

Enable DX11 Rendering — If checked the game will use DirectX11 instead of DirectX9. Requires restarting the game for changes to take effect.

The way it's working isn't an option, though - it's flickering through lighting bright/dark/bright as I move the camera around.  That isn't how DX11 is meant to work, surely.

@Dayra.7405, interesting - I haven't had it happen since I turned DX11 off.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Yello.3406 said:

It means that enabling the DX11 rendering option actually requires the game to be restarted before DX11 takes effect. It is not a toggle on/off option as the OP seems to think. The game actually tells you that you need to restart the game for the change to take effect! 😲

The lighting issue is not a DX11 bug, a number of players have reported seeing the same issue when using DX9.

You can find quite a few players reporting the lighting issue over in the main discussion:

Edited by Grizzly UK.1209
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone. 

I'm experiencing an issue where in certain angles when turning the camera all the light fades and the area stays darker.

I noticed that this issue has been experienced by other people and has been around for quite some time as shown in this video https://streamable.com/tlciu3 .

Did ArenaNet came up with a fix even if temporary or do they know that this is a going issue?

Just now, Grizzly UK.1209 said:

Hmm, the second *new* discussion thread for this topic today! No doubt this one will soon be merged into the main discussion:

Hello, i'm really sorry i just came back to the game recently and i have been playing on and off and i noticed the issue, i didn't see that there is a entire thread about the problem.

In a way gives me relief because it seems that many players are experiencing this.

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You can check out the thread below for other players' posts on the issue.

Yes i know that there is an entire thread with the issue.

At least it's not on my end.

Probably due to the last patch? Although it seems that others have experienced this a while ago in the past.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Splat.7981 said:

Hello, i'm really sorry i just came back to the game recently and i have been playing on and off and i noticed the issue, i didn't see that there is a entire thread about the problem.

In a way gives me relief because it seems that many players are experiencing this.

No worries, duplicate discussion threads are rather common here, at least it gives the forum moderators something to do! 😁

This particular lighting issue has been a problem for almost two weeks now and, so far, nobody seems to really know what the cause actually is. A-net aren't saying anything either, but that's normal, they only ever comment on bugs and/or issues when it's something very serious.

Oh, and welcome back to GW2! 😉