Strafing shifted from QE to AD

I guess it was unintentional to change keybinds for people already playing. But makes sense since they changed the "default" options and I bet everyone who used turn left/right on AD had it as default and never bothered to change it.

This is for the better though, turning instead of strafing with A and D is really inconvenient when it comes to high level play, of course people can adapt and get used to it but it's not the best way to play.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

I've yet to meet a single person that unironically uses tank controls. Even during the late MS-DOS era, using A & D for strafing was becoming a standard.

Again, if AD is the standard that everyone uses, then there should be NO complaint about the change right? yet here we are. Who you 'meet' is irrelevant here. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Again, if AD is the standard that everyone uses, then there should be NO complaint about the change right? yet here we are. Who you 'meet' is irrelevant here. 

It's not about what people are using, it's about what they should be using. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

What does that even mean? Are you implying people SHOULD be using a specific set of keys to do certain actions in the game? You realize that doesn't make sense given the fact that Anet has given us a key mapping option. 

The fact is that there is no SHOULD be using a certain key to do a certain thing. If there was, we wouldn't get the choices to map them in the first place. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

In case someone missed it: I already had Q and E swapped with A and D for years, so theoretically the change should have done nothing to me at all. It did however - my keymappings for strafe left and strafe right got deleted, and my keys A and D eneded up not mapped to any function.

Yup, this is exactly what happened to me too.

And lol at people white-knighting this and saying it's a good excuse to break the habit.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

What does that even mean? Are you implying people SHOULD be using a specific set of keys to do certain actions in the game? You realize that doesn't make sense given the fact that Anet has given us a key mapping option. 

The fact is that there is no SHOULD be using a certain key to do a certain thing. If there was, we wouldn't get the choices to map them in the first place. 

If it was up to me I'd completely remove the keybind turning. It would vastly improve the player base as a whole.

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

If it was up to me I'd completely remove the keybind turning. It would vastly improve the player base as a whole.

Turn key is REQUIRED for precision control of mounts.

Big part of population does not realize that turn keys are critical for superior control of the mounts in gw2. It is needed for fine control with griffin flight and roller beetles especially.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

If anything, a bit annoyed that it took me after the WHOLE main campaign first time to learn that I could had used action camera for superior combat mode, so I can use AD for strafing in combat instead of just left clicking and hope they die.

(Plus the annoyance of enemies running BEHIND ME, forcing me to either back up slowly, turn around slowly or waste a dodge to get them IN FRONT OF ME where I can fight them.)

39 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

OK ... but that's not relevant to the discussion here. 

The fact is that there isn't a SHOULD USE set of keys for certain actions in the game. So it IS about what people want to use. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Latency.3907 said:

Turn key is REQUIRED for precision control of mounts.

Big part of population does not realize that turn keys are critical for superior control of the mounts in gw2. It is needed for fine control with griffin flight and roller beetles especially.

Lol what? No it's not. Mouse turning is much better just like it is for literally all content. Hold down right click + W  to move is superior in every single way. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

49 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Lol what? No it's not. Mouse turning is much better just like it is for literally all content. Hold down right click + W  to move is superior in every single way. 

True, holding down right click or straight up toggling action mode is easly better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

At last they made defaults according to how I changed my keybinds on day 1 in this game. However, I can see this being confusing when Anet managed to mess up some people's previous keybinds with the patch. It's ok for new players to start with these defaults - they'll learn and be able to play better - however, for veteran players to come in and find their controls / keybinds reverted, I can imagine that'd cause all kinds of confusion 😄 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

If there is a specific option that they should be using there would be no reason to allow keybinds to be changed.

I used the keyboard to strafe. ANet changed the binds for strafing to keys that are objectively worse on my keyboard. Not a big deal, rebinding is easy, but your, "should," is incorrect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2