Do you think guardians staff needs a rework.

Artyport.2084

On 9/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

I thought the problem was that having a 600-range cone effect meant that they could shoot through gates. It was also quite suspiciously a change that came in between firebrand being showcased and PoF going live.

They were large enough to hit through walls and gates, but a lot of commanders were quitting WvW because their team was nothing but staff guardians in soldiers or knights gear that only joined WvW to collect loot "safely". zergs of 30-40 people were being wiped out by a group of 5-10 people because the zerg didn't have enough damage to fight a remotely decent team

I don't know about the PoF timing. My guess is because the balance patches are/were so far between each other that it was a long while before something was done

As for a rework on staff, I'd say it's okay as it is, but it would be nice to have a minor heal on the third auto attack. It's a support focused weapon so having a supportive ability on the auto makes sense

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 11:39 PM, cat.8975 said:

The 5 is a little lackluster outside of PvP/WvW, but otherwise it's an incredibly solid support weapon. If we're going to rework any guardian weapons, hammer, scepter, and sword should be looked at first.

I love #5 when doing dumgeons as a low level giardian :P.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:26 PM, crosknight.3041 said:

it's in a pretty good spot imo atm, maybe only the auto attack getting ally targeting for more direct healing. especially when random pugs keep running out of my staff 2,3 and 4. lemme heal you aaaaaaaaaa

Just a question if I may? Only skill 2 and 4 heal by themselves. Now I could choose the trait writ of persistence to make symbols heal a bit (which I think is why you list skill 3), but wouldn't force of will be better overall when it comes to healing?

56 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Just a question if I may? Only skill 2 and 4 heal by themselves. Now I could choose the trait writ of persistence to make symbols heal a bit (which I think is why you list skill 3), but wouldn't force of will be better overall when it comes to healing?

really boils down to personal flavor, both traits are really good. FoW is probably better with all the vitality from minstrel gear and the jade bot core +10, but i personally like adding more healing sources.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Staff is good and nice

A bit love doesn't hurt tho, but overall it's in a good spot.

4 should allow us to move while casting, maybe at only 50% speed

5 could do some other effect as well when allies pass thru the line of warding

Edited by Nero.7369

On 10/5/2022 at 7:39 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Writ of Persistence is better for persistent healing and boon support. Force of Will is better for burst healing.

I would love to see Ally-Target come to the auto-attack to heal someone in need. Also, the 5th ability is kinda meh in my opinion -- I'd much rather have Line of Warding baked into Wall of Reflection to bring that skill up a bit more. Then, the 5th skill can be something new to be a more "spectacular" ability for the healing role. 
While on the topic of consecrations and wards -- hammer 5 could be baked into hallowed ground, and then hammer gets a different 5th skill to focus on its damage and capitalizing on CCd enemies or something. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:39 PM, cat.8975 said:

The 5 is a little lackluster outside of PvP/WvW, but otherwise it's an incredibly solid support weapon. If we're going to rework any guardian weapons, hammer, scepter, and sword should be looked at first.

omg yes hammer guard would be nice. Maybe a full support hammer build with good spells, or a bruiser hammer with high damage

• Like 1

Sound effects need reworking.
I really dislike how staff skill #4 sounds, it sounds like exploding balloons and skill #2 sounds like a tambourine dropped on the floor, followed by skyhammer cannon - completely unfitting in comparison to the mystical sound effects of the mace and shield skills. Which I really love.
I miss the sound effects from Guild Wars 1 so much. Too bad you can't mod the game.
The sound effect of the scepter autoattack is undisputedly the worst in the entire game.

As for skill #5, it is completely useless to me. No damage, no CC when cast on stationary enemies, no defiance break. By the time you finish casting it, you could have thrown some autoattacks instead.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like might generation could be dropped from staff entirely.
It's a WvW pre-engage empower tool for the first spike maybe. But if you look at your boons in strikes or raids, everyone just vomits out might anyways (including the guardian on some specs).
Personally I'd prefer the ring of warding from hammer on staff, but currently have to second @urieldhynne.2743's statement.
Better not have them fiddle with it, or it might turn into a 648 range stick that forces you to choose between healing or swiftness...

• Like 1