Old Zones and Achievements

I was tooling around Draconis Mons giving gifts to druids, and was surprised to find how active it was on a random Tuesday night, when DM wasn't the location for the daily. People were announcing their final day for getting the Wayfarer's Henge, others were just starting. Some players must have been there simply for the story or the orchids, because they were asking what the whole druid stone thing was about.

People were occasionally tagging up, and just announcing various events were going would draw enough people to complete them.

I thought it was cool that this 2016 zone was still hopping, and that there are plenty of players still actively pursuing achievements that have been around since then.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm one of those currently as I'm working on Aurora.  Also there's a nice little flax farm there.  But the Season 3 maps stay fairly active, enough to have people come for events or metas, when it's the daily it's just that many more.   People are generally very good about calling out events and tagging up, I think often because they've been through the collections and really want to help out others.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I'm one of those currently as I'm working on Aurora.  Also there's a nice little flax farm there.  But the Season 3 maps stay fairly active, enough to have people come for events or metas, when it's the daily it's just that many more.   People are generally very good about calling out events and tagging up, I think often because they've been through the collections and really want to help out others.  

This matches my experience as well.

For me it is as much about farming map currencies so that I am able to buy build appropriate ascended trinkets at a moment's notice, but I pitch in when someone sounds off about an event, and have never had an issue getting help when facing an event that I would struggle to solo.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Anet are the masters of keeping "old" content relevant. No other game compares. 

I think that this is potentially inherent to the non-vertical progression approach to game design. Old content in a game with vertical progression is by definition not relevant to current game power level.

• Like 6

As other people have said it's fairly common in this game that old maps stay active, which is nice.

Just this evening I did the Legendary Corrupted Facet in Crystal Oasis with a bunch of people because someone needed it for their griffon. I wasn't planning on it but I was in the map and they asked for help (and for once did it before starting the fight) so a bunch of people showed up to join in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, Einsof.1457 said:

Anet are the masters of keeping "old" content relevant. No other game compares. 

They were, but halfway through the gen2 weapon set they gave up and no longer made any content that links to the past for the most part because they couldn't fix broken events stalling collections. As a result, none of the "gen2.5" legendaries have any quests associated with them, only grinding.

It seems like they finally went back to the old way of doing things with the EoD legendaries, though, at least for the skins that are themed after the different Elder Dragons.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

They were, but halfway through the gen2 weapon set they gave up and no longer made any content that links to the past for the most part because they couldn't fix broken events stalling collections. As a result, none of the "gen2.5" legendaries have any quests associated with them, only grinding.

It seems like they finally went back to the old way of doing things with the EoD legendaries, though, at least for the skins that are themed after the different Elder Dragons.

I think part of it is just they are one of the few games that has a big interest in trying. But some of it has resulted in systems that are very fragile. Like stat-selectable exotic gear being almost entirely tied to VB, which holds VB off from becoming a dead map, but also means there are very few ways to get such gear and adding more could turn VB into a dead map. As it is, people barely try for t4 seriously. The occasional guild organizes it and sometimes a spontaneous group gets close or just enough, but in my experience, the most common going into VB night is for some people to camp matriarch and kill it when it spawns, and that's about it.

I think it's a great philosophy, but it does have its limitations.

That said, I think part of the problem with the gen 1 precursor collections was that it linked to fractals. I can personally attest I have yet to try fractals for a number of reasons and so I have a couple of precursor collections I'm just stalled on. I ended up farming gold and buying the precursor instead.

And with regards to events, I think historically they don't really understand their own game when they go to make such collections. They probably have some in-house collection-making tool that can include events as objectives from a database/list and nobody is checking to make sure the event is actually something that is easy to get to and proportional for time investment expectations. Only looking at the theme of the event so it "feels" right. I don't know that for sure, but it would make the most sense for why they consistently attach broken or abandoned or hard-to-reach events to collections.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

There are more than legendary weapons. HoT is Legendary armor as well. And seasons 3 and 4 have legendary trinkets associated with them, and mounts as well with season 4, among other collections/skins, etc. to unlock with map currencies. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1