The pvp ranking system is pure kitten

andreiblue.8231

Losing a match means losing 19 points and winning 2 others means gaining only 4 points for each? What the hell, Arenanet? What's this kitten system? 

Decided to quit the game because of this, this thing makes me toxic because it gets me pissed at teammates when we lose because your system is "kitten" and one lost match is equal to 5 won ones, who wouldnt get pissed at this "system"? It cant even be called that cuz a system has some order and it isnt completely random!

Edited by andreiblue.8231
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yup.  I lost 14 points in a rare very close game. 490 to 500.   That was the most points lost of all my games. Some with very lopsided.      And most I got from 6 wins was +9.   Again. Range of scores.    15 games played today.  

Anet punishes you for a freaking loss

It is completely random, it always has been.

Your personal contribution to the game or how close the game is doesn't matter for squat. The only thing that determines how much you gain or lose at the end of a Ranked match is the rating of other peeps in your match compared to your own.

Its 100% RNG; essentially gambling, but with an arbitrary virtual 4 digit number instead of money.... Sometimes 👀

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Its based upon the rankings of both teams.

Losing that many points means you had high rank players on your team and the enemy team had low rank players, so you're penalised for losing to them, because the matchmaker determined you should win by a landslide. This happens because the players on your team got there by being carried by mechanics like duo Q and playing unbalanced builds, or just playing so many games that they achieve a high rank even with a very high loss to win ratio (a known problem with the glicko ranking algorithm).

This is the problem with rankings being based upon team performance. You likely had plats on your team that were really silvers, whose individual contribution was nonexistent, but because ranking is based upon the teams they got rolled with, they're allowed to climb higher.

Its also possible that you had really good players but a bad comp vs a good comp.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2

3 Factors to amount of point loss/gained.

1. The amount of game you have played that very season in rank, the more games the more stable your rating is, and first games can make you lose/win 40+ to get your basic Elo, which is why you better try hard first games.

2. The rating total of both team, if other team is full of gold silver and you are plat you might get a third or half of what you usually get for a win, lowest I got was 2 pts for a win but I know people that got 1 point for a win.

3. Your rating, the higher rated you are the more you lose in one loss and the less you win with a win, no matter the rest of the player's rating, for example in plat2+ even if other is rly top players and you have bad players, if you lose, you still lose at the very least 15-25 pts and a win is between 4-12, plat 3 us obviously worse, usually 4-5 wins to negate one loss, where as plat1 gold 3 is like equal ratio, 15-15 lose 15 win 15 roughly (excluding other factors mentioned above). 

2 hours ago, youle.5824 said:

3 Factors to amount of point loss/gained.

1. The amount of game you have played that very season in rank, the more games the more stable your rating is, and first games can make you lose/win 40+ to get your basic Elo, which is why you better try hard first games.

2. The rating total of both team, if other team is full of gold silver and you are plat you might get a third or half of what you usually get for a win, lowest I got was 2 pts for a win but I know people that got 1 point for a win.

3. Your rating, the higher rated you are the more you lose in one loss and the less you win with a win, no matter the rest of the player's rating, for example in plat2+ even if other is rly top players and you have bad players, if you lose, you still lose at the very least 15-25 pts and a win is between 4-12, plat 3 us obviously worse, usually 4-5 wins to negate one loss, where as plat1 gold 3 is like equal ratio, 15-15 lose 15 win 15 roughly (excluding other factors mentioned above). 

20 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Its based upon the rankings of both teams.

Losing that many points means you had high rank players on your team and the enemy team had low rank players, so you're penalised for losing to them, because the matchmaker determined you should win by a landslide. This happens because the players on your team got there by being carried by mechanics like duo Q and playing unbalanced builds, or just playing so many games that they achieve a high rank even with a very high loss to win ratio (a known problem with the glicko ranking algorithm).

This is the problem with rankings being based upon team performance. You likely had plats on your team that were really silvers, whose individual contribution was nonexistent, but because ranking is based upon the teams they got rolled with, they're allowed to climb higher.

Its also possible that you had really good players but a bad comp vs a good comp.

20 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

It is completely random, it always has been.

Your personal contribution to the game or how close the game is doesn't matter for squat. The only thing that determines how much you gain or lose at the end of a Ranked match is the rating of other peeps in your match compared to your own.

Its 100% RNG; essentially gambling, but with an arbitrary virtual 4 digit number instead of money.... Sometimes 👀

I still dont get it, wasnt the system supposed to place you against players of the same skill level? 

Also is decay taken into consideration? One could be platinum 3 and decay to gold/silver by not playing pvp for a prelonged period. Would a loss against him be considered as one against a platinum 3 player or against a gold/silver one?

Also why do top stats exists if they dont mean anything? They only give you a few measly points towards track completion, they dont affect pvp ranking and there were times when I had ALL top stats and it wasnt seen as me being dragged down by the team when we lost.

Edited by andreiblue.8231

@andreiblue.8231 decay doesnt affect rating for the match making, otherwise it would be way too unfair and would allow countless abuse. So if you are in plat but decayed to gold, your rating badge is gold, on leaderboard you are in gold, but for the match making it still considers the actual rating you have withoutbthe decay effect.

And yes the system tries to affect you with players not too far from your rating, but sometimes when a plat 3 players q, they don't have enough plat players queuing to make a game so some gold players get with them, usually if the q takes longer the algorithm start matching rating further apart. So a 10 min q at 3 am in the morning may have silver vs plat but at peak hour Saturday night, you should plat with plat, gold with gold etc.

For stats, this is something beginners struggle to understand but they barely mean anything,  for exemple a legend players carrying in a team full of silver carrying by getting kills everywhere on the map faster then enemy team can respawn may only have top kill but will not get top dmg since his fight are short by getting kill fast, won't get top healing because he is actually dodging/negating the dmg, no offense or def stat cause it's best left to lower rated players that have less value roaming on the map. Or another scenario is the best players on your team is just trolling 2-3 players far off node almost entire game just kiting around. He will not get any stats but he is the one that carried your team to victory, for sure no question asked because even without getting the node or getting kills , he left rest of his team in a 4v 3-2 . So that's why stats are informative but definitely not a reason valid enough to say a player did good or bad. Sometime the best player on team gets 0 top stats and the worst players on team get all top stats and still believe he is the reason they won even though he got carried hard.

I feel your pain, which is the main reason why I take a very long time in deciding do I really want to log on?

After a long day at work, I would usually play a few games, but ranked pvp is so toxic nowadays. Plus, every match is incredibly random. A win has nothing to do with your personal effort. Sure, you could increase your chances by making certain decisions. But every game is largely based on how well your other four teammates rotate, position themselves, and support each other. 

I can't tell you how many losses I've suffered through cause we steam roll the team fights in the beginning. Then, once you're 300-150, the team gets lazy, chase silly kills, lose nodes, and then the game flips to a loss of 500-450. And I'm thinking to myself, wtf?? You can't stop that. Yelling at your teammates to focus doesn't help. You just sit through fifteen minutes of kitten as a game you're supposed to win turns to a loss. 

I just don't log in now unless I have a really strong competitive urge. No point in going to bed pissed off after a long day. 

Anet really needs to change rewards to personal effort rather than just if the Team wins. This is a team sport but the matchmaker is putting together five random players. Not a team. Rewards shouldn't be solely team based

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

I still dont get it, wasnt the system supposed to place you against players of the same skill level? 

In a perfect world, yes. This is a struggle for pretty much every competitive game, but in a low-population mixed solo/duo setting like this one, forget about it. Fair & competitive matches are no longer in the repertoire.

Also is decay taken into consideration? One could be platinum 3 and decay to gold/silver by not playing pvp for a prelonged period. Would a loss against him be considered as one against a platinum 3 player or against a gold/silver one?

Nah, decay only affects your visible leaderboard rating. It doesn't change your effective rating so you will still be ranked as you were without decay for the purpose of matchmaking or gaining/losing rating.

Also why do top stats exists if they dont mean anything? They only give you a few measly points towards track completion, they dont affect pvp ranking and there were times when I had ALL top stats and it wasnt seen as me being dragged down by the team when we lost.

They give extra reward pips per top stat in Ranked, and they're a part of a daily PvP achievement.

Outside of that, they have no use because how well you did and much you contributed does not matter at all in Gw2 Ranked since rating is only determined by 1 thing and that 1 thing just so happens to be total RNG with the low population and an easily-manipulated matchmaker.

Ranked Guild Wars 2 everyone 👏Come on down and press that 'compete' button and test your skill patience by playing the best godsdamned Guild Wars 2 of your life trying your luck on the world's most elaborate and unpredictable roulette wheel.

AFKers of all types are welcome. We have some pity pips for them, and they'll probably lose less than the rest of their team, being a lower rating and all.

Edited by Multicolorhipster.9751
lumbago

4 hours ago, youle.5824 said:

decay doesnt affect rating for the match making, otherwise it would be way too unfair and would allow countless abuse.

About 3 weeks ago you had starkly defended leaderboard manipulation in a post, saying that "these are special tactics people use to achieve the highest rankings" and that it is perfectly reasonable to use these special tactics.

However here in this thread, you acknowledge exploitable measures to be unfair and abusive.

What I draw from this is that you are a reasonable human being that acknowledges when an exploitable function is just plain cheating. But if that function goes live and is indeed worth exploiting/abusing, it then becomes a "special tactic" where players who employ that special tactic must be very verbal about its vindication as to justify to themselves their inflated unearned ratings.

4 hours ago, youle.5824 said:

sometimes when a plat 3 players q, they don't have enough plat players queuing to make a game so some gold players get with them

They wouldn't have problems with queues if they didn't choose to queue dodge anything that was p2+. Maybe they should just push the queue button and play like everyone else if they don't like waiting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1