August 23, Ranger changes, Updated

Beddo.1907

The main issue with ranger in general is that not only does the class have only 1 viable spec in soulbeast, they more or less suffer the same problems as warriors despite being the "must have" class in groups.

just like Warriors have the option of either use banners or be in kicked tier, soulbeast are only really much more sought after because of "one wolf pack" which essentially doubles the group's DPS in the opener. 

Outside of that ability, soulbeast DPS is below a thief and above an elementalist in damage. So, if "one wolf pack" is ever nerfed significantly, rangers would be on the same boat with elementalist.

If ANet wants to buff ranger in a significant way, soulbeast needs their damage outside their ability to be on par with everyone else while allowing pets to carry on boons in case one with the pack gets a nerf. 

Untamed also needs an overall buff for it to see any play.

and druid still needs some love.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, KillaFin.9302 said:

The main issue with ranger in general is that not only does the class have only 1 viable spec in soulbeast, they more or less suffer the same problems as warriors despite being the "must have" class in groups.

You could not be more wrong, Soulbeast has at least 3 end-game PvE specs; Power, Hybrid and Condition. Not to mention the new Longbow variations on the power specs. If anything Untamed has less since you more or less focused on Stuns or high power damage for sustain, it has more for PvP.

5 minutes ago, KillaFin.9302 said:

Untamed also needs an overall buff for it to see any play.

I see plenty of people play it, in both PvE and PvP they are used since the Elite requires less investment in the rotation to achieve high DPS . Soulbeast is very strict in terms of timing the burst for the exposure window.

• Confused 4

18 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

You could not be more wrong, Soulbeast has at least 3 end-game PvE specs; Power, Hybrid and Condition. Not to mention the new Longbow variations on the power specs. If anything Untamed has less since you more or less focused on Stuns or high power damage for sustain, it has more for PvP.

3 flavors, all mediocre damage outside of one wolf pack so there is only 1 homogenous build around one ability 

18 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

I see plenty of people play it, in both PvE and PvP they are used since the Elite requires less investment in the rotation to achieve high DPS . Soulbeast is very strict in terms of timing the burst for the exposure window.

While a buddy group wont care as much about how bad a class it, untamed is really only good in very specific situations, and a soulbeast will always be preffered over an untamed. Not to mention PvP is a passtime, not a benchmark for how good a class is. So while untamed is a low investment, it's also the spec a player will have a significantly harder time getting groups with.

Edited by KillaFin.9302
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KillaFin.9302 said:

3 flavors, all mediocre damage outside of one wolf pack so there is only 1 homogenous build around one ability 

Its like 2-4k difference since it was the best build for Soulbeast untill they buffed a few weapons. I guess if we went back to pre buff then Soulbeast would be better? 

Edited by Mell.4873

Just some number comparison:
Auto damage on the same target affected by all conditions, while pets have all boons.

Gazelle 1/4s cast
1200-1300 non crit
2200-2400 crit

White Tiger 1/2s cast
1200-1350 non crit
2300-2500 crit

Smokescale 1/4s cast
850-900 non crit (+300 bleed)
1600-1750 crit (+300 bleed)

Iboga 1/2s cast
3300-3600 non crit
6400-7000 crit

Post nerf Iboga AA will drop by ~35% damage while gaining crit chance. Expected damage post nerf:
2145-2340 non crit
4160-4550 crit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Just some number comparison:
Auto damage on the same target affected by all conditions, while pets have all boons :

Iboga 1/2s cast
3300-3600 non crit
6400-7000 crit

Post nerf Iboga AA will drop by ~35% damage while gaining crit chance. Expected damage post nerf:
2145-2340 non crit
4160-4550 crit

Which means the Iboga will still be the best pet for AA ? Ugh

8 minutes ago, Krispera.5087 said:

Yeah, at least on a target with all condis (i.e. bosses); which is why the change is so nonsensical.  Because even though they based the change around bosses, and even with the increased crit chance, the other pets still lag behind and all we get is a net nerf to Iboga damage.

On targets with few to no condis Iboga will become pretty much useless for damage, which is bad as they never compensated its health.  It originally had low health because confusion and torment were potent, and it did some good damage chaining off those.  Now confusion and especially torment suck and they just straight up nerfed the pet damage...so its a glass pet that's only benefit on 90% of things is the pull it gives--which is only valid in competitive anyway.  

17 minutes ago, Krispera.5087 said:

I'd say it's still the best pure DPS when meeting certain requirements, but you don't get much utility. With this change we can get more global pet buffs without letting Iboga go out of hand.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, Beddo.1907 said:

I'd say it's still the best pure DPS when meeting certain requirements, but you don't get much utility. With this change we can get more global pet buffs without letting Iboga go out of hand.

Yeah a agree, let's hope they don't nerf is as much as report. I think over all its like a 2-4k dps drop on Untamed. 

Why are they acting like its only the Feline family that are unaffected by quickness???? Over 70% of all pets have this bugged attack animation...

Full list of pets unaffected by quickness:-Arctodus -Black Bear -Brown Bear -Murellow -Polar Bear -Eagle -Hawk -Owl -Raven -White Raven -Alpine Wolf -Fern Hound -Krytan Drakehound -Wolf -Hyena -Ice Drake -Marsh Drake -Reef Drake -River Drake -Salamander Drake -Jaguar -Jungle Stalker -Snow Leopard -Tiger -Cheetah -Lynx -Sand Lion -Blue Jellyfish -Rainbow Jellyfish -Red Jellyfish -Black Moa -Blue Moa -Pink Moa -Red Moa -White Moa -Boar -Pig -Siamoth -Warthog

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Johnny.1634 said:

Why are they acting like its only the Feline family that are unaffected by quickness???? Over 70% of all pets have this bugged attack animation...

Full list of pets unaffected by quickness:-Arctodus -Black Bear -Brown Bear -Murellow -Polar Bear -Eagle -Hawk -Owl -Raven -White Raven -Alpine Wolf -Fern Hound -Krytan Drakehound -Wolf -Hyena -Ice Drake -Marsh Drake -Reef Drake -River Drake -Salamander Drake -Jaguar -Jungle Stalker -Snow Leopard -Tiger -Cheetah -Lynx -Sand Lion -Blue Jellyfish -Rainbow Jellyfish -Red Jellyfish -Black Moa -Blue Moa -Pink Moa -Red Moa -White Moa -Boar -Pig -Siamoth -Warthog

Honestly at this point you can just list the families LOL

Bears, drakes, birds, canines, felines (about to be fixed (hopefully)), moas, jellyfish, and porcines (the pigs). Most core families.

Alacrity also doesn't mesh with many of them, but I don't have the list.

1 minute ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

Included in the patch notes:

"Solar Beam: This skill can now target allies. "

Did ANet mention this at all before? To my knowledge it wasn't included in the preview. But holy kitten this is the best change of all of them. Now allow the same for staff 2 please!

No, but I suspect they read my post where I specifically asked for this change to happen.

Druid: Improving Squad Viability - World vs. World - Guild Wars 2 Forums

I also asked for them to add stab on Glyph of Equality, which they did, but in PvE only.

1 minute ago, Soilder.3607 said:

No, but I suspect they read my post where I specifically asked for this change to happen.

I also asked for them to add stab on Glyph of Equality, which they did, but in PvE only.

Well regardless of how it was included, I am super happy about the change. Staff auto was IMO the singlemost obvious and deserving candidate for allied targeting functionality so I am very pleased that they included it. Hopefully Glyoh of Equality stab gets added to the other game modes too eventually.

• Like 2

• Beddo.1907 changed the title to August 23, Ranger changes, Updated
20 hours ago, Soilder.3607 said:

I feel like I have made pretty much all of these suggestions myself for years now. Windborne Notes healing allies you grant regen to, Druidic Clarity cleansing a smaller amount of condis in an aoe, radius changes, staff 1 targeting allies, the staff 2 change, aoe prot on staff 3 and potentially replacing the pet from the entire spec.

That's what happens when you play and understand the class for a certain type of content, which Anet does NOT.

Anyway, Solarbeam change is huge.

Edited by Lazze.9870