Anvil Changes - Better Or Worse?

glass.3245

Now that the dust has settled, what does everyone think about the anvil changes?

Personally I keep forgetting to top my characters up, because unlike the previous system there is no obvious UI alert to tell you that it's time to find an anvil. So for me, it's slightly more annoying than before. As well as UI clutter, power creep and something else to confuse new players.

I'd suggest deleting them entirely, and allowing users with repair cannisters and permanent contracts to swap them for a different drop of similar value.

Edited by glass.3245
  • Like 7
  • Confused 2

Yay for getting rid of repairs, though I find myself still thinking oh no I need to repair after an unfortunate death.  

Fortunately they have a long duration, so I usually remember to keep them up.  I'm getting a little tired of having to remember not only a guild buff which is a nice do it and forget it until it needs a change, the anvil, Arborstone (not needed anymore for my character....I'd rather see it as some other buff as well), and of course the banners and food and and and...lol.

It's a lot of visual clutter.  Is it a small thing, yes.  I would rather have the option of picking a buff, much like the guild one.  How about picking a stat to increase.  Or just get rid of the anvil entirely as OP suggested, I'm in favor of that.  

Nope, don't have to use it, but it's there so of course I do.  It's just kind of...there.

• Like 4

What are they calling it now anyway?  A Reinforcement or something.  I'd like to be able to use Tailoring, Armorsmith or Leatherworker to be able to make the canisters for "Reinforcemnts" now that they're no longer Repair Canisters.  Of course, give us the ability to make them at level 500 crafting, and I'm sure the mats needed to make them would be 1 or 2 rare things, 1 ascended thing and then other things of course.  

Or, if not in crafting, in the Mystic Forge?  That could be cool too.  But, now I'm rambling.

I don't always remember to visit the anvil, myself...but if I had the ability to carry as many canisters as I wanted on me all the time?  I'd definitely not forget to use them.  Kind of like food.  It'd be part of my buff up routine prior to engagements in the game.  It does seem to help some, for me at least.

• Like 1

They should have left it as is and just removed the broken equipment mechanic (stat loss and invisible pieces). If they wanted to give a bonus, give it per piece that wasn't fully broken. The way they changed it means you have to regularly repair when previously you never had to. At the very least they could have removed the dialogue to repair.

Mostly irrelevant with leanings toward bad.

All the pointless busywork stuff should be removed. Either just removed or made baseline. My definition of pointless busywork would be anything with a long duration that is easily obtainable but requires periodic prodding. This is one. Another thing are the jade bot buffs. The act of acquiring them provides no meaningful gameplay.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Palador.2170 said:

It's better, but it's not good.

They needed to find something else to do with it, or scrap it all together.

Game devs these days are scared to implement inconvenience because outcry, memespam, criticism, reputation. That's why MMOs become easier and easier - inevitable powercreep and no new inconveniences.

The only one I can think of is ... fishing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Its about as meaningful as having a lightswitch that doesnt connect to anything, yet you still know you're gonna flip it every time you go past it.

That light switch turns off the power in an apartment in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Every time you flip it we get an angry text from the woman who lives there.

Stop it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If I go raw feelings on it:

- annoys me because icon is smaller than other stuff on the buff bar

- don't feel like the icon fits the game world or what its purpose is (1st one or 2nd one they did)

- barely use it and never notice any difference using it vs. not

- still feel like people who had the endless repair got ripped off and it sets a bad precedent

- feel like it adds confusion and busywork to an already wiki-heavy game and is the kind of thing that will have a newbie going "huh? this is for what? you say it did what previously?"

So I would much rather they scrap it altogether and compensate the deprecated cannisters with an exchange trade-in merchant to get a different BL item of that kind (endless if you have endless or one-use if you have one-use), and if there are a rare few who already have all endless kinds, they can compensate them in some special way in the same way they did with the legendary armory.

But I fear that even if they agreed with its detractors, they would decide that it's too late to change it again with steam players coming in so soon, not wanting to throw them off with something too drastic in mid stream (mid steam? lol), and so it will just become this staple of the game that is kind of weird and out of place.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2