Was there something wrong with my EoD Strike LFG posting?

I decided to make an LFG posting for Harvest Temple normal mode today since it was the daily EoD strike. I tagged up and posted in the LFG Strike (Experienced):

"Daily HT - read sq message and ping roles"

Then in my squad message, I would put what we still need. I do it this way so I can update the sq message as players come in, read the sq message, then type the role they want to play . Constantly updating the LFG posting would put a cool down before I can update again. I also never ask for "kp" for any normal mode strike as I feel it is unnecessary. My sq message starts off like this:
"still need quickness x2

alac x2

healers x2"

So if someone joins and say they can play heal mech, I would update sq message to 

"still need quickness x2

alac x1

healers x1"

so that the next player that join can see what we still need before typing the role they want to play. When all supports are covered, I would update to "just need dps".

When I had about 8 players joined so far, someone not in the squad whispered me saying something like "We refuse to join and ping roles or read your sq message" but just slightly more antagonistic. I cannot recall the exact phrasing but it did not break any rules or used any slurs. I decided I would respond after beating the strike since I was busy organizing sub squad at that time. The squad filled up really quick and we one pulled HT normal.

I then attempted to respond to the whisper to ask if there was something wrong I did, but got the message saying they were not online. This meant maybe they blocked me?

Anyway I am posting here to see if you think I did anything wrong or off-putting? I only play end game content like raids/strikes/fractals so I may be out of touch with the casual player base and not realize I did something wrong.

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Nope, welcome to the world of "I/we play our way and tell everyone about it".

You made a squad, managed the role requirments and necessities, decided on a way to communicate these necessities to others and succeeded at the task at hand. Even without using any KP or asking for proof of experience.

Sounds perfectly fine.

Unfortunately there is and always will be a few players which feel the need to not contribute or accept that roles make content easier. Which too is fine, if a group or setup is not to ones liking players are free not to join.

Usually this would be the end of it for most rational people, yet some feel the need to tell others that they disagree with their approach instead of just moving on.

If they were offline, they just might have been offline. If they did block you, a perfectly reasonable commander, take it as a good step in not having such individuals create issues in your groups/squads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

There was nothing wrong with your LFG post. Some people just feel the need to tell others that they want to play their own way even if they don't intend to join your squad. If you try to respond right away and they are "Offline" they most likely blocked you, which is pretty much for the better.

6 hours ago, Ryuk.6840 said:

This seems like an experienced-lfg post . So try to post in there , instead of the Trainning lfg part

It wasn't mentioned anywhere OP posted in Training LFG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I do notice there is something wrong - it's lazy, it's disrespectful.

You're forcing players to join your squad before even knowing either he has the class/role you need, simply because you don't bother listing them on the LFG.

I have kicked many, many players for joining my squad/party for not reading the LFG requirement, because that's their fault. But if a joining player needs to be kicked or self-kicked because the LFG doesn't make the requirement clear, it's the commander's fault. 

List the requirement on the LFG, and list it clear.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

Constantly updating the LFG posting would put a cool down before I can update again.

You can circumvent the cooldown by

• removing your ad from LFG before updating it, and
  • swapping to another instance of the map or porting into the guild hall, which will reset your cooldown.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

• swapping to another instance of the map or porting into the guild hall, which will reset your cooldown.

And I would add, you can also reverse phrases on your LFG posting on the fly, such as:

Daily HT - LF 2 dps Alac, 1 HB

<--->

Need 2 dps Alac, 1 HB - HT Daily

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

I do notice there is something wrong - it's lazy, it's disrespectful.

You're forcing players to join your squad before even knowing either he has the class/role you need, simply because you don't bother listing them on the LFG.

I have kicked many, many players for joining my squad/party for not reading the LFG requirement, because that's their fault. But if a joining player needs to be kicked or self-kicked because the LFG doesn't make the requirement clear, it's the commander's fault. 

List the requirement on the LFG, and list it clear.

I am trying to put myself in their shoes to see what inconvenience this set up would cost them. So let's say someone sees my LFG posting at 9/10 players and join. That would take one mouse click (just to click "join"). After joining, they would instantly see the sq message in chat listing what role is still required. If they can't play the role required, they can "self kick" (or "leave" :classic_tongue:) the squad by doing only two mouse clicks.

So the worst case scenario with my set up is that someone will have to make a total of three mouse clicks?

This is of course assuming that I do not update my LFG posting at all. I forgot to mention it, but if we are at 8/10 or 9/10 left and still required support roles, I would of course update the LFG posting to list the required support role. It is extremely rare for the 10th person to join my squad only to find out they have to "self kick" (or "leave" :classic_tongue:) the squad, and this would only happen if I could not update the LFG posting in time and a bunch of players suddenly join at the end.

Edit: I also put myself as dps initially so that I can fill any role as needed if the 9/10 scenario above actually happened.

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I know the instance trick, but my computer is so slow I do not think it is worth it. I am testing the removing the LFG ad before reposting , but it is a bit inconsistent as I still sometimes get suppressed.

1 hour ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

I am trying to put myself in their shoes to see what inconvenience this set up would cost them. So let's say someone sees my LFG posting at 9/10 players and join. That would take one mouse click (just to click "join"). After joining, they would instantly see the sq message in chat listing what role is still required. If they can't play the role required, they can "self kick" (or "leave" :classic_tongue:) the squad by doing only two mouse clicks.

So the worst case scenario with my set up is that someone will have to make a total of three mouse clicks?

Neither is labeling the LFG requires much effort (especially strike missions dailys, I never got message locked like I did in raid), and I don't need to waste 9 other players' time for not doing so.

People who join my instances without reading LFG also took me just 2 clicks to kick, but that doesn't mean they are not disrespectful.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Neither is labeling the LFG requires much effort (especially strike missions dailys, I never got message locked like I did in raid), 

So you admit it does not require much effort on the players that join my squad contradicting your initial post stating that it was lazy on my part. You imply my set up is essentially the same as yours with the main difference being that I never get suppressed from LFG while you occasionally do get suppressed in Raid LFG? Got it.

2 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

I have kicked many, many players for joining my squad/party for not reading the LFG requirement, because that's their fault.

1 hour ago, Vilin.8056 said:

People who join my instances without reading LFG also took me just 2 clicks to kick, but that doesn't mean they are not disrespectful.

That's strange. I never have to kick players even if they are completely silent (I just assume they play dps) or can only play dps.  Like I cannot remember the last time I have to kick a player, and I full clear raids and strikes every week. Perhaps my LFG set up is more likely to attract those that can fill multiple roles leading to cleaner (and more chill) runs in general :classic_wink:

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

So you admit it does not require much effort on the players that join my squad contradicting your initial post stating that it was lazy on my part.

It does not contradict. Again you were clearly saving effort at the cost of other players.

More importantly, you turned the requirement from "join with what I need" to "join and figure out if I want you", in which players may find it disrespectful.

You imply my set up is essentially the same as yours with the main difference being that I never get suppressed from LFG while you occasionally do get suppressed in Raid LFG? Got it.

LFG suppression is far more common in Raid due to additional roles of tank and kiters with multiple bosses per wing. But even that is a minimal issue which can be easily resolved with methods above, and have been by other commanders for years. (My method does not require leaving the instance)

On the other hand, organising a single boss daily strike squad on normal mode is much simpler and I cannot imagine why suppression is such a big issue on your end.

That's strange. I never have to kick players even if they are completely silent (I just assume they play dps) or can only play dps.  Like I cannot remember the last time I have to kick a player, and I full clear raids and strikes every week. Perhaps my LFG set up is more likely to attract those that can fill multiple roles leading to cleaner (and more chill) runs in general :classic_wink:

The strange part is that you're posting a thread asking was there something wrong with your LFG, but ends up stating how superior it is with unrelated points.

Bad commanders can often make good runs, that is because the players who joins know what they're doing better than the commander. But often when a situation arise, bad commanders lack the ability to execute a solution.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

For someone who can fill any role it's fine. 

The worst case scenario is that people will try to swap around roles so that the person joining won't have to leave, which will most likely end up in you having to check roles again. 
Not everyone can fill every role, just because I can play whatever I still list the roles I need in the squad's title in case someone can only play let's say DPS or Quickheal.

"HT | 2xAlac, 2xHeal, 2x Quick, 4xDPS", straight to the point, no need for anyone to join your squad to seew hat you still need. Each time someone joins remove from LFG and once roles are assigned post in LFG with the roles you still need. 

11 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

So you admit it does not require much effort on the players that join my squad contradicting your initial post stating that it was lazy on my part. You imply my set up is essentially the same as yours with the main difference being that I never get suppressed from LFG while you occasionally do get suppressed in Raid LFG? Got it.

Wonderful how you went from "Hey this is my LFG post and I got a mean comment, what did I do wrong?" to "My LFG post is superior to everyone else's".

11 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

Once you get to the point where you lead enough - by that time you won't really have the doubt of "are my LFGs good?" - you'll have kicked a couple of people.

Not mentioning the required roles in your squad message leads to "cleaner" runs because the people joining will most likely be able to fill almost - if not all - roles anyways. It's like saying "my 250 <insert boss KP here> runs are smoother than no/low KP runs".

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

It does not contradict. Again you were clearly saving effort at the cost of other players.

More importantly, you turned the requirement from "join with what I need" to "join and figure out if I want you", in which players may find it disrespectful.

Again we are talking about the joiner potentially losing 3 mouse clicks and 5 seconds of their time (only if they cannot play the required role as the 9th/10th joiner, which is extremely rare since I or someone else can fill any). There are players that join and can only play DPS or are completely silent and I find that I do not have to kick them at all with my LFG set up. So the statement regarding my LFG set up "join and figure out if I want you" is incorrect. You can join my squad, be completely silent, and still have a great time.

As the commander, I am already doing most of the work organizing with sub squads, (markers and call outs for harder fights) and also having the pressure of the pulls going well. I feel it is disrespectful that the joiner would feel disrespected by potentially losing 3 mouse clicks and 5 seconds of their time.

I agree the LFG set up comparison was getting off-topic so let me ask you this. Do you think the person that whispered me in my original post a bit entitled?

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, A Hamster.2580 said:

Again we are talking about the joiner potentially losing 3 mouse clicks and 5 seconds of their time (only if they cannot play the required role as the 9th/10th joiner, which is extremely rare since I or someone else can fill any).

Again, these are very subjective views and is irrelevant to the point I previously made.

There are players that join and can only play DPS or are completely silent and I find that I do not have to kick them at all with my LFG set up. So the statement regarding my LFG set up "join and figure out if I want you" is incorrect. You can join my squad, be completely silent, and still have a great time.

Obviously, by allowing these silent players, even you have noticed that these LFG requirements cannot be maintained in order to stay respectful.

As the commander, I am already doing most of the work organizing with sub squads, (markers and call outs for harder fights) and also having the pressure of the pulls going well. I feel it is disrespectful that the joiner would feel disrespected by potentially losing 3 mouse clicks and 5 seconds of their time.

The feeling is mutual, support and heal roles are more demanding to upkeep yet generally boring to play in PvE, many who fill these roles do want to feel respected. Consequently this resulted in mutually disrespecting each other.

Again, it's just a strike mission in normal mode, the organizing efforts are minimal at best.

I agree the LFG set up comparison was getting off-topic so let me ask you this. Do you think the person that whispered me in my original post a bit entitled?

I believe he probably feels that your LFG description looks entitled and lazy. Even when your intentions are genuine.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 2

On the one hand, there was nothing technically wrong with your lfg setup, but it isn't the kind of group I would ever join; joining a group and then having to leave because I find out after the fact that I'm not right for it is a big no-no for me.

On the other hand, reacting angrily to it like that other guy did, is way off the mark; your group, your rules. If people don't like it, they simply shouldn't join.

Now, as for the way to manage your lfg, I find that a bit troubling. Let's assume that all gorups in the lfg were of this sort, then people would potentially have to join and leave multiple groups in order to find one that suits them, and there's a filter for doing that as well; if you join too many groups in too short a time you'll not be able to join any groups for a while. (At least that's how it used to work back in the day, may have changed nowadays.) Then you'd face a situation where people will not be able to join strikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

Now, as for the way to manage your lfg, I find that a bit troubling. Let's assume that all gorups in the lfg were of this sort, then people would potentially have to join and leave multiple groups in order to find one that suits them, 

That's a good point. I would find it annoying if I could only play one role. However, I think I would still do it (either as the commander or the joiner) for that very same reason. Such a group should have on average less players that can only play one role leading to a more successful session.

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is called "dodging a bullet."
Someone was just salty because "you can't tell me what to do" mentality.

But yeah, maybe a bit of a weird way to organize a group since you'd have to join the squad (adding an extra step) to see what is needed. Usually the commander just posts "lf alac, dps, heal, etc." in the listing itself and changes it when those people ping their role. 

But it's your group, you're the commander. "Play how you want."
8/9 other people thought the listing was fine compared to that angry whisperer, so you didn't comit some taboo.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:55 PM, A Hamster.2580 said:

That's a good point. I would find it annoying if I could only play one role. However, I think I would still do it (either as the commander or the joiner) for that very same reason. Such a group should have on average less players that can only play one role leading to a more successful session.

Doubt. Can play multiple roles, joining various groups (in regards of having/not having whatever requirements) and I'd say "join my group to then read what I need" is the least probable group for me to ever join. Pretty sure I'm not the only one. While this is not somehow inherently "wrong", I'd probably simply avoid a group like that. You might as well write the requirements in the lfg listing.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2