Optional Sub Fee

Would people be happy to have an optional monthly sub fee for players that would like to unlock store items within the world of the game and not purchase from the cash shop(using either real money or transferring gold to gems)

With the Sub fee it would mean all the purely cosmetic gem store items (weapon skins, mount skins etc) would be unlockable in the game world from doing things like quests, dungeons, completing world bosses, completing story chapters, zone completion, world events, completing jump puzzles etc. An example would be if you completed a certain jump puzzle you would get a mount skin as a reward or a glider skin that would usually be on the store for non subbed players. It wouldn't be rng like the wow loot system it would just mean specific quests or things to be done in the game would drop specific rewards that are usually on the store.

For players that didn't want to sub the game would stay exactly as it is now and they can attain the items by transferring gold to gems or using real money to buy it. Purely an optional sub fee would people be ok with this and would you use it?

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 29
  • Sad 2

Or, better and cheaper option - just buy the skins you want?

Why on earth would i pay for the privilege to grind and "work" for skins?

If you're that into grinding, grind gold, convert to gems, buy skins.

You can pretend you got the raptor skins from silverwastes, and griffon skin from dragonfall if you really want.

• Like 26
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Southerncarl.2740 said:

Why not?

I prefer the existing model and I see no reason to change that. Your proposal would only divide the community in players with a subscription and players without. That’s not a good thing. And your idea would mean that the devs would implement stuff only for a specific group, also not a good thing. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

I prefer the existing model and I see no reason to change that. Your proposal would only divide the community in players with a subscription and players without. That’s not a good thing. And your idea would mean that the devs would implement stuff only for a specific group, also not a good thing. 

The game wouldn't change for you though. It would stay exactly the same you can still keep doing the content you prefer to grind and transfer gold to gems/real money and unlock what you like. For people that like to unlock cosmetics through only the game world without having to pretend, "You can pretend you got the raptor skins from silverwastes, and griffon skin from dragonfall if you really want" they can use the sub fee for a more immersive experience where they don't have to interact with a cash shop. The devs don't have to implement anything for any group just anything they add into to the shop, for the sub fee people they just add it somewhere in the game world where the optional sub fee people can go unlock it. Nothing changes just a different way of experiencing the game.

• Confused 13
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You’re asking that ArenaNet invest time to create those quests/achievements every month. That means your sub would have to cost significantly more than the cost of all the cosmetic items in the shop.

Would anyone be willing to pay that high of a sub?

They don't have to invest anytime really just all the skins on the shop now they would just have to make them drop from existing things within the game. E.g jump puzzles that already exist, quests that already exist, dungeon bosses that already exist. When they develop say a new expansion...all the items they were going to put in the shop, for the sub fee people they can drop from things they already developed for the expansion

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Southerncarl.2740 said:

They don't have to invest anytime really just all the skins on the shop now they would just have to make them drop from existing things within the game. E.g jump puzzles that already exist, quests that already exist, dungeon bosses that already exist. When they develop say a new expansion...all the items they were going to put in the shop, for the sub fee people they can drop from things they already developed for the expansion

Why only PvE stuff? WvW and PvP players don’t get anything? And again, this would only divide the community. 
I am against it and luckily an optional subscription won’t happen. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Why only PvE stuff? WvW and PvP players don’t get them? Again, this would only divide the community. 
I am against it and luckily an optional subscription won’t happen. 

Could be WvW and PvP too. With the optional sub fee they can incorporate skins as rewards into all areas of the game world. There's over 300 mount skins alone on the store there's more than enough skins to put them throughout all areas of the game pvp wvw included.

Edited by Southerncarl.2740
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Southerncarl.2740 said:

Could be WvW and PvP too. With the optional sub fee they can incorporate skins as rewards into all areas of the game world. There's over 300 mount skins alone on the store there's more than enough skins to put them throughout all areas of the game pvp wvw included.

But why should they? It’s better to put the skins in the gem store. Now you can play the content you like, convert gold to gems or use your credit card and get the skin you want. Why change a model that works for everyone? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Southerncarl.2740 said:

It takes worker hours to decide where those items go and to code it.

In your scenario, would the subscribers have to just discover where the month’s items are? Or would there be some sort of communication, also requiring worker hours?

Nothing happens by itself.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It takes worker hours to decide where those items go and to code it.

In your scenario, would the subscribers have to just discover where the month’s items are? Or would there be some sort of communication, also requiring worker hours?

Nothing happens by itself.

I guess that's what the sub fee would pay for. Not the month items I mean make them permanent items for rewards for specific content in the game so 1 specific skin is achieved by doing path 3 of Ascalonian Catacombs etc. The devs can tell the players where each skin reward has been placed and then all the guides and gw2 websites will add it and people will know where to find forever.

Basically I'm saying add all the cash shop skins as drops in the game for opt sub fee payers so they can unlock it by playing the game and not buying on the store.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Southerncarl.2740 said:

I guess that's what the sub fee would pay for. Not the month items I mean make them permanent items for rewards for specific content in the game so 1 specific skin is achieved by doing path 3 of Ascalonian Catacombs etc. The devs can tell the players where each skin reward has been placed and then all the guides and gw2 websites will add it and people will know where to find forever.

Basically I'm saying add all the cash shop skins as drops in the game for opt sub fee payers so they can unlock it by playing the game and not buying on the store.

So they pay with their sub for the additional work and get the skin for free? That doesn’t sound like a good deal for Anet. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yoni.7015 said:

So they pay with their sub for the additional work and get the skin for free? That doesn’t sound like a good deal for Anet. 

It's a good deal for the player which is us. after the initial work of implementing the skins as rewards in the game is done then there really isn't much work to do. They can then have a predictable income flow of opt sub players and still have the one off purchases and purchases of people who prefer not to sub and buy things from the gem store like they do now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Just buy gems every month and use them to buy items.

There is no place for a sub in this game, optional or otherwise.

That's a really hollow unfulfilling way to play the game though. It wouldn't affect you and you can play exactly as you are now so why would it matter to you if someone subs and unlocks content that way.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Southerncarl.2740 said:

It's a good deal for the player which is us. after the initial work of implementing the skins as rewards in the game is done then there really isn't much work to do. They can then have a predictable income flow of opt sub players and still have the one off purchases and purchases of people who prefer not to sub and buy things from the gem store like they do now.

Okay, and for example if I did all dungeons paths, can I choose what skin I get or am I forced to play specific content to get specific skins? With the current system I can play what I want to get what I want from the gem store. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

No.  Sub fees actively prevent me playing other MMOs, this doesn't sound in any way worth the risk to marketing.

What I'd maybe consider, if ANet wanted a more guaranteed income stream, would be some kind of sub model on gems, where you get a discounted amount each month (and maybe some other goodies).  Say you sign up to pay X amount for six months, and each month you get more than that value of gems, plus a free skin (that is available in the gem store).

Anything where there's fear of missing out if you don't pay, or subscription for access, absolutely not.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Okay, and for example if I did all dungeons paths, can I choose what skin I get or am I forced to play specific content to get specific skins? With the current system I can play what I want to get what I want from the gem store. 

So I was thinking it would be specific content for specific skins so you would have to go do that content to get the skin. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Southerncarl.2740 said:

So I was thinking it would be specific content for specific skins so you would have to go do that content to get the skin. 

Yeah, that’s not a good idea. Why force players to do specific content when we now can play the content we like. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2