AFK in WvW is BS especially when there is a queue

Goglak.2591

2 hours ago, Geezer.3947 said:

I am so sick of seeing a queue 50 deep and you run by 10 people AFK running in place to stay active, it is not fair to other players, and they should be seen as a hacker and get suspended

we need to be allowed to report them

Why can’t you report them?  Click, report, call it botting, or chose other.

All of your maps are 50 deep? Dang…. And people say MY server is stacked…,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Geezer.3947 said:

have you ever looked at the report player option? there is no "AFK being selfish" option

There is also no "hacking" option either, and while I agree these should be added, there is NO reason for there not to be options and a text box for details or adding a YT link etc....But with that said, anet has stated things like this, including hacking should be reported under "botting".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Yeah..  You are right.  That wording is vitally important.  

Not really, because it is botting if you are performing an action while being AFK. If you run into a wall... you're autorunning. That's an action. And they would fail on the same test bots fail - whisper them and get no response. 

Someone "only" AFK would just stand still. Then they arent doing any action and would be considered "safe".

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Not really, because it is botting if you are performing an action while being AFK. If you run into a wall... you're autorunning. That's an action. And they would fail on the same test bots fail - whisper them and get no response. 

Someone "only" AFK would just stand still. Then they arent doing any action and would be considered "safe".

I should have put /s.  I figured the ‘vitally important’ wording would have been enough.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The bigger issue here is some servers have troll accounts that they AFK on busy maps to keep the opposition numbers down. Sometimes it's useful to run into a wall if you need a BRB but it definitely gets abused. The issue is that you lose a 5 min tick if you go out and then back in again. This isn't an issue for maps that aren't full but if a map is full, there should be an option to report as Idle and if the person doesn't do anything for a more than 5-10minutes, then they should get kicked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graymatter.4723 said:

This isn't an issue for maps that aren't full but if a map is full, there should be an option to report as Idle and if the person doesn't do anything for a more than 5-10minutes, then they should get kicked.

I fully support this for full maps that have a queue.  If the person is "running" and their coordinates do not change more than X units in Y time beyond ANets "break time" (5 mins I believe), then yeah, those people should be auto booted as soon as a queue pops... Maybe work it so the longest AFKer gets kicked first working backwards until the queue no longer exists, or there are no more AFKers 😁.  I believe that would resolve that issue for a little while 😏.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 10:58 AM, Geezer.3947 said:

I have watched the same toon AFK running this morning for 4 hours and reported him a few times and nothing

It's not an automated process (can you imagine guilds mass reporting people in order to gain a competitive edge?) and it's never been clear how many staff are dedicated to clearing the reports in a timely manner.

On 9/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

So if I hit the autorun key, walk away for 10 seconds and come back, I've just botted for 10 seconds?...

Autorunning to avoid disconnecting while afk for extended periods of time is a definite issue, ... Classifying autorunning at all while afk as botting tho? Why lol

1 hour ago, solemn.9670 said:

So if I hit the autorun key, walk away for 10 seconds and come back, I've just botted for 10 seconds?...

Autorunning to avoid disconnecting while afk for extended periods of time is a definite issue, ... Classifying autorunning at all while afk as botting tho? Why lol

It's even specified in the unattended policy and how they act upon botting in GW2 - Note that this does not mean that you cannot be away from your computer (AFK) while you are online. Idling in a city or even in the open world is not prohibited, though your character should not perform actions, participate in content, or otherwise engage with the world while you are away from your computer. Autorunning is still performing an action. You're running. The time is irrelevant.

Is Anet that eager to ban people for it? Kitten no, we all know about the PvE farm bots that's far worse than even the worst AFK WvWer.

Laugh all you want, but it's still technically accurate to call it as such.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:01 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

I think even standing still not in a City technically counts as AFK/Botting.

The trick is you have to be responsive to Private Messages. The WvW thing can technically okay only if they respond to Devs when the message them, which sucks but is their ToS.

5 hours ago, solemn.9670 said:

IIRC, auto-running by hitting the auto-run key will still disconnect you after the idle timeout.  That was fixed years ago.  Gonna go test that out again now...

Edit: Well, so far it appears this is no longer the case.  Over 30m later and I'm still in map.  No wonder there seems to be more of this these days.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

I think even standing still not in a City technically counts as AFK/Botting.

The trick is you have to be responsive to Private Messages. The WvW thing can technically okay only if they respond to Devs when the message them, which sucks but is their ToS.

As I mentioned above, the policy take that into account, standing still pretty much anywhere is simply being AFK. You could argue what "open world" is though. SPvP prolly not, WvW meeeeeh close enough.

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

As I mentioned above, the policy take that into account, standing still pretty much anywhere is simply being AFK. You could argue what "open world" is though. SPvP prolly not, WvW meeeeeh close enough.

Again I think the misconception is the unresponsiveness. You can see by personal messaging an AFKer and if they respond they cant be considered AFK, even if they are running into a wall in WvW.