Matchmaking needs to be changed

Knote.2904

What makes this games pvp population so low? What drives people away? What ended the ESL tournaments that show cased this games potential to the world? If these get answered will we beable to find a solution to the dwindling pvp population? What other questions and problems are there that are strictly gameplay releated that drives people away?

Im my opinion this game has the greatest combat system of any mmo/fighting game. I just can't put it into words properly, but 2x  dodge, 1-9 skillbar tab target is what I like most and gw2 did that perfectly. With that said I reiterate my first paragraph.

P.s. am I to high and this don't make sence?

Edited by Eddbopkins.2630
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

If these get answered will we beable to find a solution to the dwindling pvp population?

No, probably not. I'll tell you why.

What other questions and problems are there that are strictly gameplay releated that drives people away?

Im my opinion this game has the greatest combat system of any mmo/fighting game. I just can't put it into words properly, but 2x  dodge, 1-9 skillbar tab target is what I like most and gw2 did that perfectly. With that said I reiterate my first paragraph.

Fsfs. It has the best MMO combat and probably the greatest potential for fun and competitive PvP. Gameplay-speaking, its already pretty much perfect enough, or was at some point or another.

Therefore keeping these questions strictly gameplay-related just makes them redundant. The game itself is alright, its the bad matchmaking and the questionable behavior of do-nothing top players that really hurt things like player retention. 

It doesn't matter how good the game is, cheating and bad matchmaking will ruin every competitive aspect of it, making the only reason to play entirely for casual kittens and giggles; which is fun enough, but who is going to do that and only that all the time?

I gotchu but I recommend not blowing the high on this pit of negativity.

Personally I put the forums down once I start getting medium.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

What other questions and problems are there that are strictly gameplay releated that drives people away?

Funny thing, I've always considered the very core of conquest to be biggest flaw - the capping circles. The first maps showed the potential of good fights in wider circles (foefire is obvious), but Anet has always doubled down on making the caps just about the exact size of a bunker class facetanking with AoE.

Combine it with the way capping is locked down when either side is present and this just lead to a particular type of fight that is boring and heavily favor the "better" AoE bunker since there is no way for the "bad" players to properly overwhelm him without straight up killing him on his own turf every time.

But I digress. Call it a damaged brain from being in WvW all the time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

why change it when you winning  or losing 500-100 its really fun getting your sheet pushed in! best advice id say is meme yolo games get your chests you wont get good match making because the pvp pools so small. good players aviod each other kitten on newbs fun for them make content complain about how bad people. just meme yolo my avg ques are 5-7 mins lol. also do not do unranked, do ranked so if you lose least you get some ascend shards and chest. unranked is waste of time

Edited by GenerationX.9178
  • Confused 1

On 10/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

What makes this games pvp population so low? What drives people away? What ended the ESL tournaments that show cased this games potential to the world? If these get answered will we beable to find a solution to the dwindling pvp population? What other questions and problems are there that are strictly gameplay releated that drives people away?

Game is bad and dying, nobody wants to invest time in getting good in a game like this.

@lotus.5672 facts, bruh. basically only reason I still play. the combat. how ever balance of the combat is 

pretty lame. But properly balancing a game is rough.

Its hard to care about pvp and wvw when you have some meme builds trying to fight you and pming you because they lost you or you had to 1v2 me LOL bad player. ive logged lot times now days because some roamers running cele bs with supports and thieves being thieveshaha as far as pvp goes...people lack the knowlege of the game and most people dont even care because they get the ranked chest and gtfo. i forgot who posted that ss of loses in row.

but yeee another reason is a new players doesnt want play.... is they comeinto pvp get thier kitten pushed in and dont want to play it anymore or some karen goes off on them. very few players who are like oh I am losing all time I want keep trying and learning! on the other hand the game is so easy because you won 500-100 that you also dont learn. the close games where its neck and neck is where you learn. but those are rare af. idk why post kitten like people read it lol

Edited by GenerationX.9178

In a funny way this current Meta heavily incentivizes you not to play any sort of role, rather you need a jack of trades.

If you que as a roaming Thief in Gold and end up getting paired with silver players you will probably lose every team fight and end up in 1v2 situation. Even in when you get pared with gold players could equally get matched to a team of Warrior CC machines or Engineer DPS machines.

You essentially need to build around the fact that anything can happen and no role will work when it is a big question mark if you need it. The number of times I have seen a Support Guardian being absolutely useless since he is trying to heal Silver Players is to hard to count.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

In a funny way this current Meta heavily incentivizes you not to play any sort of role, rather you need a jack of trades.

If you que as a roaming Thief in Gold and end up getting paired with silver players you will probably lose every team fight and end up in 1v2 situation. Even in when you get pared with gold players could equally get matched to a team of Warrior CC machines or Engineer DPS machines.

You essentially need to build around the fact that anything can happen and no role will work when it is a big question mark if you need it. The number of times I have seen a Support Guardian being absolutely useless since he is trying to heal Silver Players is to hard to count.

Definitely true about the jack of all trades. If you're playing a roamer the only feasible way, I've surmised, to carry a bad team is to baby sit them, be fast around the map, and be quick at finishing off so your teammates outnumber them. Even then you're left with players that don't focus downs or, whether it's intentionally due to wintrading or lack of awareness, get downed in 3 seconds. 

The builds that can do duel/roam/sidenode seem to be the best. Builds that can 2v1/3v1 because with matchmaking working the way it does and the low population, the difference in skill/rating in match-ups is drastically skewed when it wants you to win or lose. Toss in duo-q to the mix and it's gg. 

I've noticed a lot of players tend to also zerg/follow you around the map which is probably another reason why you need to have somekind of support/high damage/something to win the fight quickly to chaperone them back to the cap they abandoned. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

Definitely true about the jack of all trades. If you're playing a roamer the only feasible way, I've surmised, to carry a bad team is to baby sit them, be fast around the map, and be quick at finishing off so your teammates outnumber them. Even then you're left with players that don't focus downs or, whether it's intentionally due to wintrading or lack of awareness, get downed in 3 seconds. 

The builds that can do duel/roam/sidenode seem to be the best. Builds that can 2v1/3v1 because with matchmaking working the way it does and the low population, the difference in skill/rating in match-ups is drastically skewed when it wants you to win or lose. Toss in duo-q to the mix and it's gg. 

I've noticed a lot of players tend to also zerg/follow you around the map which is probably another reason why you need to have somekind of support/high damage/something to win the fight quickly to chaperone them back to the cap they abandoned. 

I play a rather off-Meta Untamed Ranger that provides tones of CC and roots to a team fight. If I duel or get chased in a team fight by any other meta pick I can easily be shut down
But if I am left to fight I can brutally punish even the most well played Class. I have even shutdown one of the best US players in this way (It was on of the posters GrimJack I believe)

Along with this playstyle I have moderate mobility with two Swiftness application (Shortbow and Warhorn) with one super speed application (Quickening Zephyr). Tones of stability with interrupts and Pet swap with some amazing bleed duration (50% in sPvP).
When I get it right I can easily carry most team fights though even the most abusive Meta picks (like Engineer).

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 1

On 10/8/2022 at 11:56 PM, Grimjack.8130 said:

simply put the MMR system is not made to handle such a low top end population and it CANNOT do its job properly. it routinely will put plat players onto teams that are already favored to win because it cares far more about not putting 2 of the same class on the same team than it does about rating, and why wouldnt it?

This, which is silly since you can change classes before and during a match. Making this useless as the primary focus/priority of placement. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:08 PM, Jojo.6590 said:

This, which is silly since you can change classes before and during a match. Making this useless as the primary focus/priority of placement. 

Explains the double duos I've seen though. Just coordinate your queue times + what professions everyone's playing. Voila - 4 man premade. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:08 PM, Jojo.6590 said:

This.

The matchmaking would be better if the algorithm stopped caring as much about #of professions on each team and emphasized ensuring that the MMR between the teams is as even as possible. 

• Like 1