I don't feel very noble

Squeesidhe.4761

My main is a human necro with the noble background. Yet no one refers to her as "Lady," nor does she seem to know many nobles at all, except maybe for Farren. 

The story description is that she "grew up among the nobility." With the new maid outfit that was released, it occurs to me - was she the help?? Was my Commander a maid this whole time? 

This is all very disturbing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 5

On 10/13/2022 at 11:21 AM, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

My main is a human necro with the noble background. Yet no one refers to her as "Lady," nor does she seem to know many nobles at all, except maybe for Farren. 

The story description is that she "grew up among the nobility." With the new maid outfit that was released, it occurs to me - was she the help?? Was my Commander a maid this whole time? 

Very little of your story takes place as nobility, the vast majority of it, even from the first mission, is far outside the comfort zone of the other nobility and all about you leaving that circle forever.

This game isn't a coming of age story, its the afterstory of an already established hero.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Very little of your story takes place as nobility, the vast majority of it, even from the first mission, is far outside the comfort zone of the other nobility and all about you leaving that circle forever.

This game isn't a coming of age story, its the afterstory of an already established hero.

I'd say it's kinda a coming of age story, at least in the manner of  "Hero leaving their hometown/original friend group"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I'd say the personal story is that "coming of age story" - an attempted Hero's Journey if you will.

Season 1 onward is the afterstory of an established hero though, where other characters go through their rendition of a Hero's Journey. Sometimes multiple times (Taimi, Braham, Kasmeer).

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 11:21 AM, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

Yes.  You were a maid.  There is now an outfit to prove it.  

Lol it's an interesting point actually, I've never played the human story.  A title could be more a term denoting a position in society not just an inheritance.  Maybe you're so far down the nobility chain that no one bothers.

seems at the first mission, at the party you seem to know all the people, from what i understand from the intro cimematic as noble, you help people, but now its time to check outside the city, and thats when the whole adventure started. but after that its basicly not mentioned anymore. but in EOD there is a reverence if you picked noble:D. i still think that big house that you can enter in Manor Hill is your house, and the house in Cottage Bend you can enter is your house if you picked commoner

On 10/13/2022 at 7:21 PM, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

There is like one special noble chat option if you attend the party at personal story. Otherwise no difference.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:21 PM, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

You are the rebel child that tosses aside the shackles of your boring life for a life of adventure. Sure you do a little maid work on the side to get by, but you don’t let that bring you down. No one knows you’re nobility because you like it that way and you prefer to avoid the expectation that this lady must act like… a lady. No you are an adventurer!

Edited by Tom.8029

On 10/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, Farohna.6247 said:

Lol it's an interesting point actually, I've never played the human story.  A title could be more a term denoting a position in society not just an inheritance.  Maybe you're so far down the nobility chain that no one bothers.

There are also nobles who don't flaunt their title/wealth/status at every single person they meet you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

There are also nobles who don't flaunt their title/wealth/status at every single person they meet you know.

Seems reasonable that they might be more humble about it.

Also can we get all the nobles out of my home instance as well since they don't help harvest anything?  It would be nice to have more personalized story lines but I'm sure the work involved would have been a lot of time and resources.  

The human noble personal story implies that your character knows several of the other nobles, and there's mentions in other places too. For example they get some unique dialogue with Kasmeer in Season 2, especially when she's talking about her families situation. There's a few other examples as well, for example Lady Sarah Marduke in Hoelbrak has different dialogue for human nobles to other characters.

Notably she also introduces herself as Sarah. A lot of people skip Faren's title when speaking to him as well. I suspect a lot of the nobles only use titles in formal situations, especially between themselves. If most of the people around you are also lords and ladies insisting on being called by your title probably seems quite pretentious.

It's not quite the same but a lot of the people I work with are doctors, and some may have other titles as well, but it only comes up if they have to put their name on a research paper or something equally official, the vast majority of the time they go by their first name.

For what it's worth my headcanon is that most of the time my human noble character is very informal, if I had the option the rest of Dragon's Watch wouldn't even use her full first name, let alone calling her Commander. But with some people she'd insist on full name and titles just to make a point. (It's good I don't have that option though, I'm never sure if Commander goes before or after Lady.)

• Like 2