Warrior becoming new Meta (not just Bladesworn)

Mell.4873

I notices a massive uptick in Warrior players in Gold 3 and Plat. At the moment I think it really counters some of the more staple picks like Engineer and Elementalist and can really punish other squishy picks.
I had to adjust my playstyle twice to stop being CC'ed forever with stability being you best defense to prevent endless stuns. Stun breaks really do nothing when they can stun you again right away.

• Confused 2

Yeah, i like this of warrior being a bully bruiser roammer/teamfighter, but i really doubt that it counters ele, at least their 3rd elite spec.

Edit: warrior is in a better spot yeah, but i really doubt it's meta now, and still needs more polish.

Edited by Zizekent.2398
  • Like 1

Your best bet to counter us right now is cleanse and range, and dodging our burst skills. The moment you see a leap, dodge, as if that burst hits you, then you'll just get locked down and we'll get a damage increase. It's about timing when fighting a warrior, and being able to CC people now is something we've needed for a while. Do consider that if you see a hammer, it's okay to knock back and retreat, you don't always have to engage, and we have so little in the form of engaging abilities that you can wear us down.

• Like 1

I agree with others on this post that warrior isn't meta. But I'm glad anet revived hammer. Another thing, I can actually pick something else besides the discipline trait line and fast hands without feeling as hindered and crippled as before.

I hope they review the other traits, skills and utilities to make them have more synergy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kalthea.4326 said:

Your best bet to counter us right now is cleanse and range, and dodging our burst skills. The moment you see a leap, dodge, as if that burst hits you, then you'll just get locked down and we'll get a damage increase. It's about timing when fighting a warrior, and being able to CC people now is something we've needed for a while. Do consider that if you see a hammer, it's okay to knock back and retreat, you don't always have to engage, and we have so little in the form of engaging abilities that you can wear us down.

Honestly the best counter I have found being a Ranger main is to just load up on Stability right before I engage. Then I can somewhat stand right beside him while he does nothing to me. The real problem with the stuns is that it put every skill on a mini cooldown when you get interrupted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

Honestly the best counter I have found being a Ranger main is to just load up on Stability right before I engage. Then I can somewhat stand right beside him while he does nothing to me. The real problem with the stuns is that it put every skill on a mini cooldown when you get interrupted.

This too. Interrupts, blinds and snares will lock us down in return. Really, the only thing that has changed is that we can actually do some damage with CC skills now, which is a good thing for a (almost) melee only class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warrior hasn't changed all that much.

It does damage on CC abilities now, sure, but that doesn't mean much, When it's so incredibly easy to keep them out of range, or burst them down.

I've actually seen less Warriors in sPvP, because most Warriors in sPvP were Shoutsworn abusers and that one got neutered.

I can't see it being anywhere close to "meta"

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

@Fueki.4753Spellbreaker right now is one of the best sidenoders in PvP, if not the best. The only classess dat are winning against it on node are vindicator and chronomancer. However, vindi is obviously in a state that is just unacceptable and chrono just wins in 1v1s against warr . Catalyst duels against spellbreaker are like 50/50. If they patch vindi to be in a reasonable state warr just replaces him 100%.

Edited by Aaron.1294
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 10/13/2022 at 3:28 PM, Mell.4873 said:

I notices a massive uptick in Warrior players in Gold 3 and Plat. At the moment I think it really counters some of the more staple picks like Engineer and Elementalist and can really punish other squishy picks.
I had to adjust my playstyle twice to stop being CC'ed forever with stability being you best defense to prevent endless stuns. Stun breaks really do nothing when they can stun you again right away.

I don't think warrior is "meta", but it is certainly in a much better spot than it was before the patch.

I think the large uptick in warrior players that you've seen is more likely the result of the massive raft of changes to warrior stirring up interest in the player base. People want to try out the new toys, and currently you're seeing lots of experimental builds, etc. That's a really good thing (and I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying it), but I wouldn't count on seeing tons of warriors in high-level play in the upcoming MAT, for instance. 

I think BS is still Warrior's most competitive build in PvP, although SpB is making a bit of a resurgence. I don't think it is nearly as good or as versatile as catalyst, tho, so I doubt you'll see the top teams going SpB in tournaments and the like. Still, you can certainly have some good fun with it in ranked/unranked play. 

Berserker, sadly, still isn't very good 😥 Maybe one day... 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

why you keep using the term g3 p1 games, when your rating is 1366?...

Even if he's g2, he'll see plenty of g3/p1 players in his games. Besides which, rating really isn't the point of his thread. He only mentioned it as a way of saying that he's noticed "good" or "serious" players are playing more of warrior lately. That's a valid observation. 

8 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

why you keep using the term g3 p1 games, when your rating is 1366?...

It heavily fluctuates on what time you play and the Meta(kind of the reason for the post). I mean the top 250 players was recently down to 1400 so that could be why. I'm sure if the top 250 jumped back up plat then my rank will climb again.

You have to realize I play a lot but I'm consistently in Gold 3 for most of the season.

Edited by Mell.4873

7 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Even if he's g2, he'll see plenty of g3/p1 players in his games. Besides which, rating really isn't the point of his thread. He only mentioned it as a way of saying that he's noticed "good" or "serious" players are playing more of warrior lately. That's a valid observation. 

Does he really know who's "good" and "serious" and whos just not?

i'm top60, there's like max 5 warrior above me

i would call my matches real p1 matches and i wouldn't call my matches p3, just because i get matched with p3.

also every g3/p1 he got in a match during offhour, there's a s3/g1, the match's rating range is incredibly big for him to be matched with p1 which is 2 tiers above him.

if he just say he noticed a surge of warrior in his level, which is g2/ low g3 which i agree, plenty of players playing warrior in g2/low g3 now.

but warrior at higher? not so much, only the same old ones. i have yet to notice a single new warrior or any non warrior playing warrior from 1500 and up since update

Edited by Lighter.5631

Standard GS/Dag,Shield Spellbreaker is now very good for 1v1s.

Here's the monkey paw. Warrior still beefs it hard to ganks. Catalyst and Vindi have better staying power in 1v2s.

In case you didn't know, you don't get to 1v1 often in AT or MAT unless you're fighting a bad to average team.

Warrior is now a ranked pug stomper and that's about that. They should reasonably nerf the on CC traits or put merciless hammer back to where it was in Strength. The on CC traits are too strong when combined currently. 

50 minutes ago, Tycura.1982 said:

Warrior is now a ranked pug stomper and that's about that. They should reasonably nerf the on CC traits or put merciless hammer back to where it was in Strength. The on CC traits are too strong when combined currently.

Almost everything can be a "pug stomper" these days, because so many people gave up even trying to win.

The majority of commonly encountered are superior to any commonly seen Warrior set up, let alone alone unique, personal builds.

And the CC traits are definitely not too strong, given that Warrior still is only viable in melee range and likely already is half-dead before even getting close to melee range. Even in melee it's still very vulnerable to all the AoE, CC and conditions vomit that the game has become.

Edited by Fueki.4753

8 hours ago, Tycura.1982 said:

Standard GS/Dag,Shield Spellbreaker is now very good for 1v1s.

Here's the monkey paw. Warrior still beefs it hard to ganks. Catalyst and Vindi have better staying power in 1v2s.

In case you didn't know, you don't get to 1v1 often in AT or MAT unless you're fighting a bad to average team.

not really a pug stomper, compared to daredevil, rev, untamed, dh, chrono, holo, cata, harb

and str spellbreaker is so kitten now that it instantly dies when get plus'ed by a decent player on a roamer build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2