Match guilds and individuals by language

Please, allow to match people and guilds by choosed language. If not implemented, entire communities will fall when world restructuring goes to live servers.

Im spanish, I can understand english a bit, but not french or german. WvW is great because systems empowers community building, not just follow "green people" and kill "red people".

I prefer old server matching system (and their unbalanced population issues) rather than restructuring if I can't play with my community never more.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

Create/join language-specific guild.

Problem solved.

You are welcome 🥳.

Should not be strict, but let (Alliance-) guilds choose their language and prefer linking guilds with the same choosen language would definitely be a Qol for WvW. Could be even extended to more than the current 4 "official" languages of GW2.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

Create/join language-specific guild.

Problem solved.

You are welcome 🥳.

I think you missed the point. I think I understand the point the OP is trying to make.

From a personal position my primary language is English, I have some basic French and an odd word of German.

While I could understand all of my guild chat last night, I could not understand about 30-40% of team chat.

In a team-oriented game mode being able to communicate with those in the same team is important.

Each alliance is made up of multiple guilds and not all the guilds in the same alliance share the same primary language. You don't get this in normal WvW so much in the EU as there are 13 language specific worlds (commonly referred to as servers) out of the 27.

Perhaps ANet could give each guild a "primary language" flag and take that into account when assigning guilds to alliances so that guilds with a common language are more likely to be grouped together? I think that is the sort of thing the OP is asking for.

An alternative is to have a "Google translate" type option in chat where you can have the chat box give you a translated version of anything not in your chosen language below the original text?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nidome.1365 said:

Perhaps ANet could give each guild a "primary language" flag and take that into account when assigning guilds to alliances so that guilds with a common language are more likely to be grouped together? I think that is the sort of thing the OP is asking for.

Alliances are managed by guild leaders just like guilds and joined by other guild leaders, there is no "assignment" into them. 

You are confusing alliances with teams.

That's why people are saying join a language based alliance then.

Should teams be language based? I ssay fine, on the logical assumption that such teams are only matches with other teams with the same language. So we'd have a small german matchup, a small french matchup and a small spanish matchup, which can never fight anyone else. Seems to be what everyone wants instead of everything being international, for some reason 😕

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Should teams be language based? I ssay fine, on the logical assumption that such teams are only matches with other teams with the same language. So we'd have a small german matchup, a small french matchup and a small spanish matchup, which can never fight anyone else. Seems to be what everyone wants instead of everything being international, for some reason 😕

There are currently 13 single language servers in the EU so why do you say "a small german matchup" etc.? there are multiple German and French servers, even the single Spanish server bounces between "very high" and "full" although a significant proportion of the Spanish players are South American as there is no NA Spanish server.

There are plenty of French and Germans to make up multiple single language teams should they want to, rather than have multiple single language guilds spread across 15+ teams, so no, there would not be "a small german matchup".

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nidome.1365 said:

There are currently 13 single language servers in the EU so why do you say "a small german matchup" etc.? there are multiple German and French servers, even the single Spanish server bounces between "very high" and "full" although a significant proportion of the Spanish players are South American as there is no NA Spanish server.

There are plenty of French and Germans to make up multiple single language teams should they want to, rather than have multiple single language guilds spread across 15+ teams, so no, there would not be "a small german matchup".

Of course you'd have them all fighting just each other, in perpetuity. So it would be a small matchup, just for them. 3 worlds german teams that fight it out. 3 french teams. And of course poor baruch that literally has to split into 3 teams and fight each other. 

None of them would have any interaction with any other team. 

This seem to be what people want, despite the fact we've had mixed links for years now just fine, which is the rough eqvivalent of "language based" alliances .

Imagine otherwise if international players accidentally talked in team chat in English! 

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 4

52 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Of course you'd have them all fighting just each other, in perpetuity. So it would be a small matchup, just for them. 3 worlds german teams that fight it out. 3 french teams. And of course poor baruch that literally has to split into 3 teams and fight each other. 

Why would they have to fight each other? They only need to form teams to fight others, not each other.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Edited by Nidome.1365
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nidome.1365 said:

I think you missed the point. I think I understand the point the OP is trying to make.

From a personal position my primary language is English, I have some basic French and an odd word of German.

While I could understand all of my guild chat last night, I could not understand about 30-40% of team chat.

In a team-oriented game mode being able to communicate with those in the same team is important.

Each alliance is made up of multiple guilds and not all the guilds in the same alliance share the same primary language. You don't get this in normal WvW so much in the EU as there are 13 language specific worlds (commonly referred to as servers) out of the 27.

An alternative is to have a "Google translate" type option in chat where you can have the chat box give you a translated version of anything not in your chosen language below the original text?

Subversions didn't really miss the point. I see both yours and the OPs point and on the surface it sounds good on paper but it won't solve the issue. What happens to the guild that does speak 5 languages and are good with it because their different time zones of players impact the language at the hour of the day, or how do you handle the individual non-guilded player? By solving the issue for one player you break it for another player. That's why they are planning Alliances to try and let players deal with issues that programming can't. So Subversion's point is a fair ball. Remember this isn't even a full beta and we don't know what they are actually testing so bring up the points on what's being seen but figure out also what the coding will not be handling.  

4 hours ago, Nidome.1365 said:

Why would they have to fight each other? They only need to form teams to fight others, not each other.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Obtuse, sarcastic, take your pick.

As mentioned, we have had language based worlds linked with international worlds for years but apparently the demands on how "segregated" we are supposed to be is only allowed to go one way. 

IMO Anet should simply remove the language tags on all worlds today so that this is a non-issue.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 10/16/2022 at 3:08 PM, Nidome.1365 said:

/.../

Each alliance is made up of multiple guilds and not all the guilds in the same alliance share the same primary language. You /..

/.../

Perhaps ANet could give each guild a "primary language" flag and take that into account when assigning guilds to alliances so that guilds with a common language are more likely to be grouped together?

I think you have completely misunderstood how the system works.

I will give you as much that what I added to this topic before was pretty low effort, however, these forums are full of people who want to blurt out their oppinions but are too lazy to read and learn about the system first. They should, quite frankly, get better versed on the subject matter before they confidently incorrectly add noise to the forum and make things harder for other players who come here to learn.

All guilds in an alliance can share the same language. ANet does not assign guilds to alliances. Alliances are player-created entities that can hold a number of guilds up to the same total size of the largest possible guild (500). People are continously confusing alliances with worlds. They are not the same thing.

If you want, let's say, a french community you can run a french Discord, you can post recruitment messages on the french forums and you can run french websites to attract members or find a home. You, the player, literally have full control over who you invite to your guild and your alliance (up to 500 players). People are not allowed to build communities larger than that (500) for balance reasons. Thus, the largest group you can be apart of is 500 and everything else is temporary, just like links. My group can be 500, your group can be 500, everybodys' groups' can be 500. Regardless of languages or how you choose to mix them in your group (of 500).

So, a french player can join a french community of up to 500 french-speakers, the same for a spanish-, german- or english-speaker; or for that matter: every other language that now gets equal footing. What people no longer get is special treatment like a special status for only three additional european languages or special population rules that only applies to one server and ruins the balance of an entire region. So we actually get more diversity with the change because all our danish, dutch, polish and hungarian guilds can now also form language-based alliances (of up to 500) and they can create other mutually intelligable constellations like scandinavian alliances, benelux alliances or recreate the polish-lithuanian commonwealth or austro-hungarian empire to their liking. That adds more pride, incentive or ways to build community.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, don't mind me I am just adding my two cents here... I think linking an english speaking block of people with a language specific one kinda works, what create the most problems is linking two different language specific unit.

As a rough estimate, I would say in language-bound servers there is probably a third of players that only understand basic written english, a third that are not confident enough to have a voice discussion and would probably mute themselves but can understand english game slang and comm orders just fine, and a final third that will thrive in an international environment and would be able to command a squad. So like I said it kinda works but it is not perfect and you still loose a lot of potential commanders and squad mates.

When you link several language specific block together though, what happens is the German plays with the German, the French with the French and the Spanish... well fondly enough most Spanish squads I have found were open. You participate in the few events that your guild organize and you are happy while it last, but then you look for an open tag with voice and there is no one willing to command an international squad via voice. Yeah... not optimal.

I guess my message is: identifying which alliance doesn't mind to be part of an English-speaking alliance and which one does is crucial for alliance to work in Europe and I hope it gets improved in future betas.

Edited by Guybrush.4762

On 10/18/2022 at 12:29 AM, subversiontwo.7501 said:

I think you have completely misunderstood how the system works.

I will give you as much that what I added to this topic before was pretty low effort, however, these forums are full of people who want to blurt out their oppinions but are too lazy to read and learn about the system first.

Wise words. But in this specific case I believe that our friend has expressed his wishes in an unclear way. I think you are aware that you can create groups of 500 players, German, French, English, Italian etc etc. but his request is that when you go to create the world / serve you use many pieces but all of the same language.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Wise words. But in this specific case I believe that our friend has expressed his wishes in an unclear way. I think you are aware that you can create groups of 500 players, German, French, English, Italian etc etc. but his request is that when you go to create the world / serve you use many pieces but all of the same language.

Which is something they easily could (and may add), however, it can't superceed other factors for balance within the system as that would inherently imbalance the system. As a result, it could be added to some degree, but it would need to be applied under more important factors like size of pieces and activity. Which still means that the OP will not get the "my language only" result hoped for anyway. Plus, that may also be the reason it isn't added as a factor at all because rolling eg., client-type after factors like size and activity would risk creating international minorities as a common piece among national majorities. That would be far more socially challenging than national minorities among international majorities. Regardless, the main reason remains that language can never be a factor rolled before size or activity if Anet want to have a system that isn't broken on delivery.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

@OP

Let me apologize for the arrogant attitude of entitled "English" speaking players like myself.

Your economic vote should be equally valued by ANet . . . imho

How To Create a Language Based "Server".

1)  You need to join a guild that encourages the daily use of your language.

2)  Your Guild Leader needs to click & join an "Alliance" that daily uses your language.

3)  ANet is working to code a WvW "Alliance" button - See #AlliancesWhen?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alliances" was put into motion over 6 years ago when a poll closed on the old forum on 2016-06-07 that does not support Language & Time Zone as a part of its design.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-6-June-World-Linking-Schedule-CLOSED/page/5

Alternate Solution to "Alliances" was proposed over 7 years ago on the old forum on 2015-11-03 that does support Language & Time Zone as a part of its design.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Reboot-the-Base-Map-Mechanic-Population

Alternate Solution to "Alliances" on our current forum posted October 5, 2019 that does support Language & Time Zone as a part of its design.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89449/wvg-world-vs-globes/p1

ANet needs to establish a better Road Map & Vision for this cornerstone game mode that also includes Non-English players.

Yours truly,
Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.
#MyEoDPurchaseComingSoon
#AlliancesWhen
#RoadMapWhen

Edited by Diku.2546
  • Like 2